Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Sticky' snow @ Castleford Xscape

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got home from a trip to Xscape Castleford.

My first visit since before last winters holiday. Moguls where out so spent most of the two hours
on them while using a set of Scott Punishers from Brighams.
I quite enjoyed it, the skis where great and may consider making a purchase.

Anyway the reason for the title in the tread was that the bottom 3rd of the slope was very 'sticky'.
it felt almost as if someone was getting hold of me and pulling me back. Whats going on with the snow
that makes that happen?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was it busy Renry, ?

Hoping to get myself down there to see how my boots are doing.

Sorry - can't answer your Q!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
v1cky24, Was quite busy.
By talking to a few people they said Monday mornings (one a fourtnight when the moguls are done) is busyer then normal.
But to the staffs credit ( and I have critised in the past ) got the second lift running so not much waiting was done.

I will make one more visit in the new year prior to this winters holiday. Unless I convince myself that I cant do without the Punisher skis I tested Laughing
and will have to go back and give them another go. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, Sticky snow is not a problem at Tamworth NehNeh

That's because they make their "snow" from shaved ice! Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
last time i was there (late August) the snow was like porridge
hadn't previously been like that when i'd been before.

Since been to Manchester and Hemel, much better snow at both
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's been a long time since I've been to Castleford but I do dimly remember the snow was a bit mashed potato. I actually prefer Tamworth, which is icy hardpack. Not been to Manchester yet (gimme two more weeks!) but Hemel has the best snow of any indoor slope I've been to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried Manchester for the first time last Friday. The only "sticky" snow was at the top of the lift tracks, where there was plastic showing through rolling eyes

On the slope the snow wasn't too bad on the far left where there was at least some depth to it, but the "central zone" resembled a billiard table - nasty smooth stuff Toofy Grin

The slope seemed awfully short, how does Hemel compare (trying that next month) ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Probably something wrong with the cooling pipes - possibly an actual leak of the Glycol coolant into the snow (I know that makes it sticky). Or could it be a build up of too much old icy compacted snow underneath the newer snow? Or do they add chemicals to the snow to help it freeze? Someone told me they do. Possibly too much of that built up in the snow pack?
I know for sure that Glycol leaks make it sticky.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I went to Canada last March temperatures dropped to -32 and the snow became extremely sticky then. An instructor explained to me that when we ski/board there is a microscopic level of melt that occurs which allows our skis/board to slide. If it is too cold for that melt to occur, skis and boards tend to "stick" to the slopes instead of slide. After trying to ski in -32, I could see what she was talking about as I had to find the steepest slopes that day to get anything like a decent slide.

Anyway, could that be the reason for the sticky snow at Castleford, i.e. it was too cold on the patch down the bottom? Although I doubt it was -32 of course!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowshine, no, it wouldn't be cold enough to get that effect at Xscape.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was at xscape Braehead in Glasgow. It was like poridge on Sunday. The problem only occurs when it is busy so I assume it is turning into aggregates. When they groom it fresh on Sat it is usually great.

Now they are into the winter season and it is getting busier, and they chare more per hour (no freebies); It is essential that they make new snow and groom it more often.

It was the last day of my month ticket. Which was well used. However, If I'd paid £31 for 2 hours I would be asking for my money back. It was terrible.

Cheers
Bob
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What wax were you running?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are really only 2 possibilities: snow too warm or something added to the snow. I was trying to think of all the possible reasons within these. If the snow is too warm you can improve it a bit by using a different wax - but in this case it was only part of the slope. If you are carving turns it will affect you less than if your skis are flat on the snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, Glycol is actually a form of antifreeze they add to the cooling system. Though as far as i'm aware these snow domes actually run on ammonia as it's the most efficient refrigerant in the volume required at the temperature bands needed to the keep it operational. Chilled water where'd you be using glycol wouldn't be particularly efficent for a snow dome.

Sticky snow would be from the snow not be cold enough/reaching an isothermic state where it's on the verge of reverting to it's fluid state. They're probably having issues with one of their cooling circuits.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy