Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ambitious friend - worried

Poster: A snowHead
I am a natural worrier, so perhaps I am being silly here

My OH and I have recruited a few extra people to come skiing with us this year (to Panorama, BC) - these people have not been skiing on a mountain before.

One of them has been snowboarding in Val Thorens and the other has been to Xscape and had 4 hours of lessons.

The one who has had a few lessons is really excited to be going on a skiing holiday, the last few times I have seen him he keeps saying things like:

'I'm gonna go down the black runs' - 'I can't wait to go and do jumps' etc ' I don't care how I do it but I'm gonna do a black run'

I said why don't you just go an enjoy yourself and don't put pressure on yourself to achieve these things you are saying. (I think I annoyed him a bit) but I'm now worried he's going to seriously injure himself and be a danger to others in resort.

I don't know how much he has learnt etc but I encouraged him to take some lessons while we are out there and he said no. So this guy who hasn't ridden a charlift before is planning on attempting skiing the difficult terrain on his first skiing trip!

Any advice? Puzzled

I appreciate also that he might change his mind when he sees the task he has set himself, who knows.

I should probably just keep my nose out shouldn't I? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
v1cky24, he's all mouth. Normally the first time they get on a chair lift and see the enormity of the terrain they (snowdome skiers) realise that they know very little.

Just make sure you dont get stuck chaperoning him about
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
v1cky24, Group holidays are a nightmare and involves a lot of compromise. My suggestion would be to smile every time he prattles on between now and the holiday and watch the mountain tame him when you get there. Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know lots of people who've (succesfully) done black runs during their first week. In fact, I know someone who attempted one on her first day. Admittedly she didn't actually get down it, tried to shuffle down on her backside, but got cold and bored (it was quite a long run) and had to be given a lift down by a man on a snowmobile, but hey.

Forget about it. Let them do what they like and when they inevitably fall on their arses you can laugh and laugh and laugh. Or they'll impress you. I shouldn't worry about it though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, That's what I thought. Although he keeps saying it over and over.

At least he has a helmet Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
v1cky24, bet he soils himself on first steep run Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, I've been skiing with a few people before who've never had a single lesson. My brother-in-law I remember in particular. He bimbled about on the nursery slope on the first morning whilst we offered encouraging comments, then skied with us for the rest of the week with no problems. He's one of these fearless types (works as a roofer) and just seemed to have natural abillity. Yes, we mentioned he should have lessons but the cost was prohibitive and he was confident he'd get the hang of it.

One of my current ski buddies is also 'self-taught'. He has no style whatsoever but can get down anything and certainly isn't a danger to himself or others.

So my advice is, don't worry. Like Nadenoodlee says, he may just be all mouth. Or he may just be one of these irritating people that really can do everything!

I always question the value of expensive lessons for holiday skiers. It's a big cost on top of the holiday and the word 'holiday' is paramount. As long as they aren't a danger to themselves or others, who cares if they don't 'progress' or have any style? It's about having fun after all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
best find the hardest run and take him there first.... put up or shutup Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Watching a beginner frantically snowploughing as hard as they can, in a straight line, down something far too steep for them is - for me - one of the true joys of skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My OH is trying to 'self teach' - I fear he will never make it off the green slopes..

Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He who dares ....falls
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, indeed.

v1cky24, odds are, once trying a mid-red he'll see the error in his judgement and will back-down. Remind him that it's far more important to ski a blue run impeccably well than hack your way down a black run.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
v1cky24, make sure they have insurance
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once spent a week in Verbier in a chalet where there was a guy like that going on about how he was going to do blacks all day. We took him with us the next day and sure enough he was doing blacks all day until the final run which entailed going down a fairly steep mogul field with trees on both sides... Somewhere half way down this guy detaches from his skis and body surfs the moguls all the way dow to the bend where he body surfs into the next tree. End of holiday rolling eyes

I would advise him to spend a bit of time learning first!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
v1cky24 wrote:
My OH is trying to 'self teach' - I fear he will never make it off the green slopes..

Nah, he'll just be a hacker rather than an elegant skier. My younger bro is effectively self-taught (I tried to show him a bit of technique, but he wasn't all that interested) and we'll happily saunter off down a mogulled black together. Now, he'll fall over a lot, and I (mostly) won't - but we'll have a lot of fun doing it (and I'll have a lot of fun laughing at him). And that's all that matters isn't it. Fun.
snow report
I should also point out that the sibling in question has only skied two weeks, which were a year apart, punter style.
ski holidays
paulio, I've booked him into lessons... Laughing I'm a meddling wife of course.

I'm a bit concerned though, because we might have made a poor choice in resort...it seems to be geared up to experts with lots of bowls/steeps
snow report
v1cky24, it could go either way.

Last year a few of us went away and one lad came with us who had never seen a mountain before, much less skied on one. It was only a long weekend so I and another couple of friends agreed to ski with him for a bit, but told him that if he was struggling we may have to leave him on the nursery slopes as we didn't want to be saddled with a complete novice for all of the weekend. It turns out he was a complete natural, and was easily getting down red runs by the first lunchtime. Despite going a fair bit slower than I normally would it was termendously enjoyable to be with a friend while they picked it up and clearly enjoyed it so much.

On the flip side, I've been away with a friend who'd done a day's lesson in a fridge and decided that further lessons were not required. Unfortunately she was completely overwhelmed by the blues and after a couple of mornings of no progress pretty much quit skiing for the week.

The trick is to make sure that you don't sacrifice your holiday to help out beginners. While its great to be part of a big group, skiing is one of those things that you have to be a bit selfish about as its your holiday too. If the beginners can keep up with you, then great. But if not you have to be a bit cruel sometimes and split up. Besides, there's nothing worse as a beginner to think that you're holding up the rest of the group.
ski holidays
He will change his mind and don't worry about it.

The main chair up has a steep bit in all directions just off the top. I wouyldn't have notcied this at all but I know this because my son who was adept at Castleford thanks to the lions, bottled it big time when faced with it (he was 5 at the time).

Actually I wouldn't self teach at Panorama- the quality of their teaching is good, and the beauty of canada is that you only need book the lessons you want/need. No need to book a whole week.

We are now booking Panorama for mid feb.
latest report
Luckily in Canada there's usually an easy way and a hard way down from the top. So jsut find the nearest convenient double black diamond and I'm sure a reassesment will be made upon looking over the edge.

That said, who's not excited about going skiing and dreamiing of what they want to do. Very Happy
ski holidays
gryphea, I was thinking about the top of the mountain, I've read that they are generous? (not sure if that's the right word) with their grading system and although there is a blue run from the top, it is comparable to blacks elsewhere.

gryfon, Very true, who can blame him for being excited eh?
ski holidays
I'm a big fan of ski companions being prepared to try something hard and/or out of their comfort zone. Just a guess, but I reckon more timid people ruin ski holidays for their friends by throwing their toys out of the pram after a difficult run than overly brave ones do by getting injured trying something too difficult.
snow report
v1cky24, make sure he has good insurance including ski-rescue/repatriation, NO compromise. Get agitated about it. Perhaps he'll start to comprehend your concerns.
latest report
v1cky24,

Agree with andyph and also make sure he has liability insurance for if he is sued after a crash. Also this is canada and not France and if he is skiing to the point of endangering others (particularly children) then he runs a real risk of having his pass taken away. Parents WILL snitch on him, if they feel he can't stop, is out of control on the higher up runs.

I cannot remember the runs in detail at Panorama - we were there two years ago, but to get to the top he has to be able to do a couple of runs- he can't just get one lift all the way to the top, and lets face it he'll fall off the first chari lift exit! I remember skiing a black from the top, that was easier than most and some blue glades that were harder than most.
ski holidays
I agree, just make sure he has good insurance and don't worry. At least he's enthusiastic!
latest report
v1cky24 wrote:
Nadenoodlee, That's what I thought. Although he keeps saying it over and over.

At least he sounds like a helmet Laughing
snow report
Quote:

v1cky24, make sure he has good insurance including ski-rescue/repatriation, NO compromise.

Quote:

Agree with andyph and also make sure he has liability insurance for if he is sued after a crash.

Quote:

I agree, just make sure he has good insurance and don't worry.

Errrrr, no.... A general principle of all personal accident insurance policies is that you shouldn't act recklessly or knowingly put yourself or others in harms way! If he's genuinely being reckless and he causes himself or others injury, he might find his insurance co disowning him... especially if it's a biggie, there are witnesses, there's other evidence pointing to his recklessness. Not saying it would happen but the possibility exists. Chances are that the first time he picks up real speed he'll brick himself and realise he hasn't the necessary competence and he'll go get a lesson or three.
ski holidays
Panorama is not renowned for being the most extreme of resorts - despite the marketing of the Extreme Zone & Tayton Bowl so I'm sure you'll find moderate groomers for you all to cut your teeth on without massive danger to anyone.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
make sure he is insured... Skullie
snow conditions
Yes listen to Bode Swiller and tell him not to get insurance. rolling eyes
latest report
Ski behind him at all times.
snow conditions
Hey give the guy a chance. He may say he wants to do a black but suspect that's just bravado because he feels worried he will hold you all back.

Talk him into doing lessons in the morning and skiing with you in the afternoon.

Can I ask, if you are so concerned, why did you ask him?
latest report
We had a friend like that, who had only ever skiied a few weeks on a dry slope. He was half decent and could do a strong snow plough turn by the time our trip to the snow came around.

He repeatedly said, in the run up to the trip, that we wouldn't see him for dust once we got on holiday - but when he did hit the slopes he was so petrified that he spent the whole of day 1 on green runs.

We managed to get him down a red on day 4 and he was so freaked out when he got to the bottom (after making avery good attempt at it..) that he had to sit down for a fag. When he took his gloves off to light up he couldn't stop his hands from shaking! Then he came out with the phrase that will forever live in our memory of classic ski quotes. Wait for it.....

"I'm ok. I wasn't frightened - just nervous!" wink

Priceless!!
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Yes listen to Bode Swiller
Absolutely.

I didn't say "don't get insurance" (go twist your own words), I merely pointed out the fact that it doesn't protect nutters.
ski holidays
He may or may not follow through with his desire to do the black runs. His talk however should not bother you it is just a fairly typical extravert response to fear and excitement. Think about who he is trying to convince?? You know that you are not buying it, It is merely him trying to convince himself that he can do these things, its just a coping mechanism. Also if he tells everyone he will do them he can use your expectation to convince himself that he needs to do them even if he decides he does not want to.

When you are there try not to remind him of his determination to do the blacks and he may be happy to forget if he is enjoying the lower grades.

Oh and yes ski behind him Smile
snow conditions
Also tell him to google "skiers code of conduct" and to study it. I would bet that he he has'nt a clue what it is. It is a bit like the highway code and maybe that might make him realise that in this fantastic sport there are some rules to protect all participants including himself but also other people. It might just save some heartache. A pair of ski's in the wrong feet can be dangerous weapons just like a car can. - now I will get off my pulpit Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob, thanks for the info on Panorama Very Happy

rob@rar, skiing behind him sounds like sensible advice!

bar shaker, we asked him to come along so he could try skiing, we thought he might like it. I don't want him to kill himself in the process though!

He probably is just talking out of his arris. I'll wait and see what happens when we get there I guess.

snowbandit, I am 100% sure he has not seen the skiers code of conduct. I may forward him an email of it!
latest report
v1cky24,
Quote:

I am 100% sure he has not seen the skiers code of conduct. I may forward him an email of it!

Very good idea. As an instructor I tend to teach safety as appropriate to the environment in which I'm teaching. So the chances are if he's only ever had lessons in a dome he will be completely clueless when it comes to safety and etiquette in a mountain environment.
snow report
beanie1, ... off-topic alert Blush ... so are you heading up to China for some skiing this season ?
snow conditions
rayscoops, not sure. I've not looked in detail at Chinese resorts - the only one I've looked at is Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, but it's so high I think I may pass! http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/china-ski-resort/jade-dragon-snow-mountain.htm Would need too much time to acclimatise.

I'd like to go to Japan, but a lot of it depends on my new job. Not signed the contract yet, but they may not allow me to take holiday in first 3 months. The holiday rules are really strict here (the legal minimum is something like 7 days and no need to give an employee any at all in the first year!). I'm very lucky in that my job gives me 20 days (plus public holidays - of which there are a lot in HK). So I'm hoping at the very least to be able to ski in April, and possibly might head to NZ next summer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy