Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaving fear in the rear view mirror

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, the trouble I have with:

Hurtle wrote:
The 'short' answer is to engage core abdominal muscles at all times. ;-)

is that it isn't enabling to the layman. It doesn't describe the sensation of doing it *right*.

Laypeople can easily "engage core abdominal muscles" by making them all go fully stiff and rigid at once like they were fighting constipation and be worse off than when they started.

A combination statement like "active core, soft knees" is a little bit better imo, but creates other problems. I really don't have a surefire one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was rather talking about relaxing as opposed to tensing up so much that are too rigid to react to anything, you know Wink It just makes you skid more and becomes a vicious cycle. We have a dog that is now terrified of our tiled floors so he tenses up to rigidity and ends up skidding all over the place; if he would just ease the tension a bit he wouldn't skid so much but instinct is to freeze. I suppose relaxing the mind could be the key to relaxing enough to allow the muscles to be active to the right extent and no more
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, you know better than to tell children anything other than -exactly- what you want them to do.

rolling eyes Shocked wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, no, you tell children the opposite of what you actually want them to do.... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, ah. NOW I see where all the fear in this thread /really/ came from.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex,
Quote:

The 'short' answer is to engage core abdominal muscles at all times. wink

is that it isn't enabling to the layman. It doesn't describe the sensation of doing it *right*.

It's really not that difficult, but I agree it has to be learned.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger wrote:
Picadilly, THink about trying to cut a large block of ice... If you hit it with the knife the knife will bounce off... If you try to slice it but slam the knife down too hard again the knife will tend to jump sideways, you need to gently apply the knife and slowly let it start to cut a track without pushing too hard and making the blade slip...

That is basically how you ride a quick bike quickly, or drive a quick car quickly. Let it know what you are doing a bit at a time. If you shock it, it will shock you back. You don't need any new skills to ski on ice. You just need to have confidence that the fluffy piste techniques work equally as well if you do them properly. If you hear the death rattle when you hit some ice and believe that you have lost control, then you have lost control. If you believe it is no different, then it really is no different. I learned to ski moguls in Killington at -22 centigrade in the rain. After falling down about 400 times while I was assuming the I was going to fall over, it eventually clicked..... just do the same old same old
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely it's the difference between tensing up through fear, and muscles tensed, ready for action? You won't be "relaxed" when particpating in any physical activity, but if you're so scared you can hardly move through fear, you won't perform at your best.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1 wrote:

Surely it's the difference between tensing up through fear, and muscles tensed, ready for action? You won't be "relaxed" when particpating in any physical activity, but if you're so scared you can hardly move through fear, you won't perform at your best.

comprex, there you go - I'll let beanie1 write my posts from now on Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy