Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shop Recommendation - Highly recommended!

Poster: A snowHead
Which secion of the forum can I post a shop recommendation/testimonial on?

Just bought some new ski boots and the service was fantastic and the staff extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Directions appreciated

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-11-09 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
this one would do it. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ledge wrote:
Which secion of the forum can I post a shop recommendation/testimonial on?

Just bought some new ski boots and the service was fantastic and the staff extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Directions appreciated

I'm guessing NOT Wildernass Ways in Newcastle then........?

Edit - leaving the spelling mistake in, as it seems appropriate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well in that case I would like to recommend Rivington Alpine with a 5 star award.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

They made us Very Happy and are based over Manchester way which was a couple of hours drive for us. I would recommend taking a packed lunch as measurement, fitting, trying, more fitting, walking, in and out of machines, (not necessarily in that order), coffee more fitting and finally arriving at a pair of well fitted boots was well worth the time and money spent.

The wife has had Skullie NUMB FEET Skullie for the past five years holidays and we had been through several pairs of boots/fitters and shops trying to remedy the problem. After much measuring and fitting as above Graham (The superfitter) managed to dare I say it CURE the problem..............

This is nothing short of miraculous! and I would definately recommend anyone considering new boots who is based in either the North East or West to make an appointment at Rivington Alpine as their first port of call.

We are both Very Happy customers and will be returning for many years to come.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would like to second that recommendation for Graham and Rivington Alpine! Cool

I popped in earlier this week, sheepishly, with a pair of hugely oversized boots I'd been missold elsewhere (see thread on here: http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56994) he confirmed they were way too big and explained to me what I should be looking for, if I could get them exchanged.

I came back to him today (ok it's yesterday now) with a pair 1.5 sizes smaller and he did a great job of making them fit and explaining all the basics about boots that I'd never understood before (I've been wearing too big hired ones for the 3 years I've been skiing).

I'm looking forward to trying them out soon and will definitely be going back there for future things! I should have followed the recommendations elsewhere on here and gone to him straight-off. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is really good news. We could certainly do with a good boot fitter oop North.

http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ledge, i know graham and he has learnt a lot of stuff, he is a shop owner who is not affraid to admit if there is a situation which he cannot sort, he is open minded and wants to learn more, if only there were more like him
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ledge, Thanks for the recommendation, that's the best piece of advice I've ever got on this forum. I popped into Rivington Alpine this afternoon just for some advice on new boots with a view to getting a fitting. Graham said he could do the whole process this afternoon as he had two customers who were just finishing. I went in at 3 and came out after 6.30 with a new pair of expertly fitted boots.

It was obvious from the discussions with the others customers that he knew his stuff, so as I definitely need new boots I went for it. His approach is the same as CEM's in that he will find a boot that will fit your feet and not get a specifics boot to fit.

He was very thorough from the initial questioning on the type and standard of skiing I did and any problems with boot fit and any medical problems. After this there was the measuring of the feet and an assessment of my stance. It turns out I'm heavily pronated (sp?) and I have been fighting this with my skiing for all these years. Shocked He also asked whether I suffered from back pain when I was skiing. Yes, I do and that is probably due to this problem.

After this he said that he had three boots which would be a good match for my feet. We went through the first two and he asked all sorts of questions as I flexed and I had to wear the boots for a while to warm them up. At the end of this we rejected one of the boots as, although it felt a good fit it wasn't quite holding my foot as firm as the other. We then repeated the process with a third boot and that was eventually rejected.

We then went through the process of getting a shim to correct the pronation. I'd never realised how much this affected my balance and stance. Graham demonstrated this really well via some one foot standing exercises and flexing the ankles. After some time he had ascertained the correct shims for correction and we went through the rest of the fitting process.

I was amazed at the end of it that I could stand on one ski boot without struggling against falling inwards. I was always of the impression that I had fairly standard feet and getting boots fitted properly would only give me marginal benefits. I was totally wrong, so if any others on here don't think it's worth going to a professional boot fitter, think again.

He tells me that I will find it strange when I next ski as I've been fighting against the pronation all my skiing career.

All in all I'm a happy and excited chappy tonight as I'm looking forward to skiing next week at the xmas do at HH with my new pair of Atomic Hawx. Cool Cool

I can honestly say, I've never had such a professional experience in any ski shop over the many years I've been skiing, and it's only a few miles from me. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

This is my first trip report of the season. Madeye-Smiley

Anyone in this area who is looking for new boots, get yourselves over to Horwich, we need to keep people like this in business. Cool

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 6-12-09 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geepee, You must have been in there yesterday when i dropped our skis off for service.

Have had excellent service from this local shop and always happy to recommend them. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been a few times to Rivington Alpine and its a great feeling knowing I have a professional and enthusiatic shop like this on my doorstep. I only wish I had found it sooner.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
george owen Were you the one that bought in 3 sets of skis and had a mooch round the shop after dropping them off ? I was having my boots fitted on the seat nearest the door.

SCollier1, I went there a few years ago but wasn't too impressed, but I believe that Graham who owns it now took it over not too long ago, so it's a very different proposition now. He told me they will be moving to new premises in about a years time but only to Addlington, which is just up the road. What a wonderful source of information Snowheads is, as I wouldn't have gone back to this shop without ledge's and CEM's recommendation.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geepee, Guilty as charged. Picked up a set of poles whilst i was in there. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee, Just curious to know how you're getting on with your new boots.

I've started to have problems with my old Head boots. Despite a bit of tweaking the damn things keep blistering the inside of my heels Puzzled . Seems there is too much volume around the ankles/heels.

I've spoken to Graham at Riv-Alpine and I'm booked in on Saturday afternoon for a boot fit. He has suggested that the Hawx may be the boot for my foot/ankle width.

Which model did you go for?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GeorgeVII, They have been great and I used them at Hemel on the Snowheads xmas do, but without the moulded footbeds, as Graham didn't have suitable footbeds in stock on my first fitting. I have since been back and had the footbeds done and they are even better now. Very Happy

Tried them for a few hours at Yad Moss on New Years eve and had no problems at all and my feet have never been held more securely.

I ended up with the Atomic Hawx 100.

I'm looking forward to a week testing them with snowHead in arabba next week. snowHead snowHead

PS. I like the name change. Laughing
ski holidays
I understand that its as long as a bit of string as different people may need different footbeds, liners , shims etc. but what's the ballpark cost of the boot fitters services on top of the boot cost?
snow report
tiffin, At Rivington Alpine, providing you buy the boots from them, the standard fitting is included with the boot cost, including adjustments. So if you don't need any extras, then that is what you pay, and you can go back for adjustments for up to two years.

I had shims and moulded footbeds, so had to pay extra for those.
latest report
geepee, Good to hear that they are ok. I already have custom footbeds that Graham is happy to swop over into a new boot. Should save a bit of time and hopefully will mean that new boots don't feel too strange Puzzled .

We're back out in Tignes at the end of the month and i didn't fancy grating the skin off my ankles again Shocked .
ski holidays
It seems that we now have two threads running that are recommending/praising the services of "GRAHAM THE BOOT" at Rivington Alpine Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

As mentioned above i was in today for new boots. From a previous conversation (not based on any foot measurement etc.) i was half expecting to get some Atomic Hawx. After a thorough measure up and discussion Graham decided that Salomon "Full Custom Fits" were the way to go. These are Impacts, not the full on Falcons.

I've seen a few pairs of liners disappear for heating in my time but not the actual shells. Shocked These are fitted whilst hot (v.hot) and allowed to cool whilst clipped up on your feet. Once that is done the liners get the same treatment (gas mark 5 for twenty mins Laughing see D_I_Y thread ).

In theory this ensures a "3D" fit. The boots certainly seem to provide good grip around the ankle and in-step but give a bit of room in the toe box.

The real test will start in a weeks time back in France so i'm hoping to post a really positive update after a couple of days skiing. The shop was busy today but all done in good professional fashion. ....and i got a brew Laughing ........but sadly no flapjack Sad .
snow report
I'm just back from the S6BB and can report on my boots used for the first week. I really felt securely attached to my skis and didn't realise how properly fitted boots could make a difference to my skiing. This was undoubtedly the best ski related purchase I've made.
snow conditions
Got myself booked in to see Graham next week Smile
snow conditions
Scottland wrote:
Got myself booked in to see Graham next week Smile

Was planning to just pop in next weekend - maybe I ought to book?
ski holidays
I emailed before hand to book and was told Graham is away until the 13th, if it's Graham you want to see.
snow conditions
I had the pleasures of a new boot fitting at Rivington yesterday, the shop was very busy but I got a new set of boots and footbeds done it a good and professional way. I only went £94 above my budget as well Smile rolling eyes

Well worth a visit, also I heard they moving soon which has a lot more room for the boot fitting. I wonder if there is a kettle upgrade as well Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy