Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time ski purchaser.....confused?

Poster: A snowHead
I have finally decided to buy my own skis this season and was hoping to get some feedback on my current shortlist!!

I have skied for approx 10 years and would class myself as a strong intermediate - can get down pretty much anything and have 'ok' carving technique on all but steep reds / blacks where the carve becomes more of a controlled slide....!

I am just under 6 ft tool and weigh approx 14 st and usually favour a ski length around 170. I tend to ski 80% piste and 20% off piste.

I am looking in the price range of up to £350 and have so far highlighted the following as potential buys:

K2 Apache Raider - which I hired last year and loved
K2 Apache Ranger
Dynastar Booster 9 or 10
Atomic Nomad Smoke

I would really appreciate any feedback on the above list and also any other recomendations you may have.

Cheers guys!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rather than the Nomad Smokes, look at the Blackeyes, a better ski that will take you further and I've seen the non ti 2010 ones for £350. In fact the guy I bought my Blackeye ti's from had some on ebay last week (white mountian). Good service from them. They might still be listed

But if you liked the K2's last year then thay will be a safer bet than just buying some unknown ski. The Atomics seem to feel different from most others and folks seem to either love or hate them (I think its cos of the higher base and edge angle Atomic use)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richy Rich, welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richy Rich, I haven't tried any of your ski choice. I'd be inclined to go with the one you've tried and liked, but more importantly welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richy Rich, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richy Rich, welcome to snowHead . I'd be inclined to go with what you've tried and loved....
Quote:
I am just under 6 ft tool....
Unfortunate mistype! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richy Rich, welcome to snowHead

The K2 Apache Raider/Ranger might be a bit too 'low-end' for you - it might be worth trying the Recon (although these are more expensive, it should be worth it in the long run). I'd say go for longer than 170cm, as well. How about going to a snowdome & testing a few pairs - you can just go into Ellis Brigham/Snow & Rock & ask Very Happy I think Snow & Rock might charge a small fee for this, but EB don't.

Jon.L, I had a little giggle there too Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm about your height and a good skier, over the last few years I have really appreciated the Rossingnol Bandits. I have some B3s and it is great to be able to bundle everywhere on just these skis (I aslo have quite a few others but they tend to stay in the cuppoard for the most part - except the comedy 80s monoski...). Great all-round all-mountain skis, really handy for blasting at high speed allong pistes (without the usual flappy end you get on most twin tip style skis), then jumping off into the offpiste without concern.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ahhh good shout on the typo Jon.L - what a mistake to make.......could have been written by someone who has seen my technique....!!!

Thanks for the advice guys, interesting to get a recomendation for the Bandits - have skiied both the B2 (preferred) and the B3. Assumed that these would not be available new now as they are old models?

Did like the K2 Recon's but they are out of my price range - will take a look at the Blackeyes though.

Cheers again!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you checked Sport Conrad, I would think you would be able to get Recons for about that from there, their website is being super slow though so I can't be bothered waiting to check.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How many weeks have you done in those ten years?

For a high performance (but possibly more 50/50) all mountain ski check the Dynastar Sultan 85. At your weight it shoudn't be too stiff for you, but if you want something softer, look at the Sultan 80. Or previous season's Legend 8000s for that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richy Rich wrote:

...Thanks for the advice guys, interesting to get a recomendation for the Bandits - have skiied both the B2 (preferred) and the B3. Assumed that these would not be available new now as they are old models?...

The new Bandit model is the SC80, which I have and really like.

I had the K2 Apache Strykers before which I broke during an off piste day, and replaced them with the Bandits.

The Strykers were billed as K2's intermediate 50:50 ski, which in hindsight I bought a little too long for me at 174 (I'm 70kg) (but they were really cheap in a sale). They were heavy and good on piste, and got me skiing fast with minimal effort. The thing was that I wasn't trying to ski fast, and I didn't feel like I was out of control, but I was skiing significantly faster than more experienced skiiers in my group.

So, I got the Bandits at 165, and two things immediately struck me. They are very much lighter (in mass and feel), and much more controllable off piste. On piste they're more manouverable, I'm skiing at a slower speed (ie the same speed as everyone else!) but off piste, especially in trees, they give so much confidence that I could turn anywhere I wanted, and make it through the tighest gaps, something the longer K2's didn't do.

I'm taking them on an off piste week this February, which will invovle a bit of skinning, and I am interested to fully test their ability in 'proper' off piste terrain.

I have tried the Recon, and I remember them to be fantastic on piste, LOADS of grip, and coped better than my ability in powdery crud. Didn't try them off though...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi there all, I come to this thread because my question is very similar to that of Richy. I'm going to Whistler to do a ski instructor course soon and need some advice on what skis to get. Like Richy, I would like something mostly orientated towards piste skiing but preferably not something that handles too horribly if I end up bouncing into the back country.

I am around 180cm tall and weigh 65kg, and again, like Richy, have a budget of around £350

I have a special offer through the course to get Storm Infernos + bindings for £370 but they seem like completely piste only skis. If I'm wrong about them however (I hope so) I will probably go for them since it seems like a pretty good deal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just bought a pair of Elan Magfires as a well-recommended pair of all mountain skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
randominality wrote:
I have a special offer through the course to get Storm Infernos + bindings for £370 but they seem like completely piste only skis. If I'm wrong about them however (I hope so) I will probably go for them since it seems like a pretty good deal.

Totally on-piste carvers, I'm afraid. Really narrow, & once you get them on edge, they don't want to let go. I don't think they'd be very suitable for an instructor course - seems a bit odd that the organisers are offering them, actually.

Oh, & welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
I'm assuming that's with Peak Leaders, and if it's like the deals they had for my course in Austria last winter, you're probably not supposed to talk about it...

I used Dynastar Legend 8000's for my teaching ski last year, upgraded on warranty to the new Sultan 85 this year. Both excellent skis, work well both on and offpiste, and there would be no point getting something that can't handle offpiste for a season in Whistler. Why else would you go there but powdery fun??!!
latest report
Yeh it is with Peak Leaders, and I also found it strange that all the skis in the offer didn't seem to be particularly applicable for such a course. I was told not to get twintips or anything too wide but the skis in the offer, along with the infernos were park skis and and wide all mountain skis. Puzzled

Anyhow, Ill have a look at the Sultans, but I was also checking out the Aeromax Ti, would they seem like a good choice?
Oh and one more thing, would prices in Vancouver generally be better than over here, or vice versa?

P.S. Thanks for the welcomes Very Happy but in fact, I've been a lurking snowHead for a while.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy