Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck early Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This forum is so helpful, I am planning a second trip with friends in jan/feb! I just wanted to check if I'd be likely to find snow near Innsbruck in early Jan. Even after my much anticipated Dec trip I will still be a beginner, and so only need something basic (and preferably cheap!) I want to really stay in Innsbruck and take the buses to the close resorts, as I think I will pay less for hotels, ski passes etc - and i don't need a massive resort, as I don't think I'll be going that far! Planning for 3 days from Jan 10th. Thanks for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, munchimo, There is plenty of skiing within reach from Innsbruck. Whether there will be snow at the lower resorts ? well if I or anyone else could forsee that we would all be very happy snowHead . But from Innsbruck you have the option of the Stubier Glacier, even if it is a fair bus ride and the snow is building quite nicely already and is currently sking well. But that would only be a fall back option as there are several local options. Have a look here for some info on these: http://www.innsbruck.info/xxl/_site/innsbruck/_lang/en/_area/478338/_subArea/600111/index.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munchimo, Axamer Lizum is 'usually' snow sure and can be reached quite easily from the center of Innsbruck. Here's the bus timetable. The other local ski resorts will also have similar bus services.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would also recommend checking out Seefeld. The (short) journey to Seefeld using the train is a quite interesting itself. Seefeld is located at a plateau (about 1200m) well above the Inn Valley.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munchimo, I have two weekend trips booked for this year, one day will be at snow sure Khutai (bus ride) and another day at St Anton probably (train), but there are loads of low resorts around the city like Mutters & Natters (limited extent but good for a day and easy ), and higher resorts like Nordpark, Axamer, Petch etc. I would head to Khutai if I was you Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been to Seefeld in January five times, never had probs with snow even in 2007 when it was a bit sparse every-where Seefeld was okay. Axamer Lizum about the same distance, good slopes, good snow but a long way up by ski bus and its the only way up. With Seefeld the station is very central to village so can easily walk to slopes and there are three places to choose from.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had been looking at Nordpark, as it seems quite close, and prices are reasonable. Do you think that would be a fairly good bet? At what altitude do resorts start becoming more snow sure?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munchimo, Mutters is basically at 1100m altitude at base and is just a few pistes really, but with Innsbruck clear of any snow the pistes were still fine when I have been there. I would think any of the resorts that are looking down on the city will be fine. Why not try a different resort each day all on the same ski pass and get a bit of variety Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munchimo, Nordpark is definitely not a beginner area, you'd be much better off looking at the Axamer Lizum or Seefeld areas. The best beginner area at Seefeld is the Geschwandtkopf one followed by the Rosshütte.

Also check out the prices for hotels as they vary considerably during the week depending on what is going on in Innsbruck that week. You may be better off staying in Hall or Zirl - both easily close by.

rosemary, walking from the station at Seefeld isn't necessary as there are plenty buses which shuttle around the various areas. The third area you mention is rarely open as it is only a couple of drag lifts and a chair going up to the Rauthütte. That side of Seefeld is more reknown for its cross-country trails.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found quite good hotel deals in innsbruck. Are there any areas very close to innsbruck that would be good for beginners - I really want to cut down on travelling time as only there sun-tue.

thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munchimo, rather than stay in Innsbruck you could stay up the Stubai valley which is cheap for hotels and base your self near/at Schlick 2000 slopes (forget which town it is ) which I remember being quite nice a tame, and head up to the glacier too which is really quite docile if the weather is nice. The beginning of the valley tends to be really cheap, and it gets a bit more expensive as you head closer to the skiing.

Locally Mutters was really nice for beginners and close (5 kms) but limited.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munchimo, try getting in touch with fellow Very Happy ineedsnow (www.ineedsnow.com) He lives in Innsbruck and could point you in right direction. His name is Matt Brown
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy