Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VW Passat (estate) snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have yet to contact VW but I am considering buying a VW Passat estate and am wondering if anybody has fitted chains to theirs. I expect their standard models (SE) would be OK, but I am wondering if chains fit onto the sport (S and SEL) versions. They have lowered suspension and fatter tyres so I would expect the chains would interfere with the wheel arches. I am looking at 2005 - > models.

Sorry to be a bore as I have recently posted regarding an Audi A6 Avant. I dare say I'll make my mind up eventually.

Regards

Bas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil, give the guys at snowchains.co.uk they know their stuff. The low profile chains they supply will fit many cars where the handbook says no chains
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bas
Better to find out before you are driving over a pass at night.
I have a passat salon sport (4motion so never needed the chains on) and remember seeing something in the handbook.
I will have a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basil, What Boris, says
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basil, again, what Boris says. We are on our third VW Passat estate (SEL) and have had to get different chains each time. Last one was more difficult as had Sport version (17" wheel iirc) but are just about to check out for current car. Snowchains.uk have been excellent each time and give a rebate towards new set. OH is out until late afternoon but if you want any more info he's more up on it than me Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the advice, I'll call snowchains this week. I have had a look at the SE model which has 16" wheels and there seems to be stacks of room for chains there. Might even pop into my local dealer too, see what they say.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil, Most clearance issues are between the wheel and suspension struts, not within the wheelarch itself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, I would have thought the amount of steering lock may have some influence, but then I suppose there must be a reasonable amount of clearance to accommodate the suspension operating under normal conditions.

Whilst we are here have you found a significant advantage with Traction Control improving grip without chains. Would imaging TC and chains would be an ideal combination.

Anyway off to watch (past the watershed) Top Gear now, back soon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basil, WinterTyres - took a passat estate to the alps last season, but only on 15" rims. Had some good winter tyres, never ever came close to wanting chains - and whilst I could choose when to go/up down the hill there was a number of occasions when I had to leave at time x on day y in order to pick people up at the airport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil, Traction Controls work by either applying the brakes to the spinning wheel to divert power to another wheel with more grip or reducing power until traction is regained. All dependent on the type of TC fitted and drive system, whether 2 or 4wd.

Winter Tyres and Chains, combined with 4wd and difflocks is the ultimate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was told that Traction Control could get confused if you had chains on one set of wheels as there was an effective increased diameter, and that was why you could switch TC off (at least in older cars). I found TC excellent last year and got away without having to put chains on most of the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshskier, Only makes a difference if you've got 4wd.

Volvo's in particular are very intolerant of different diameters of tyres. A new vs worn tyre on the same axle will kill the differential.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No real point mentioning rim sizes. It's the overall tyre profile that's the issue.

As for TC (and also ABS), there's always a debate (well argument) as to whether it's best on or off in snow. I tend to turn mine off, because the last thing I want is something else braking wheels. Then in Les Gets, the chalet owner jetwashed the mini bus in January which instantly froze the wheel speed sensors leaving no ABS/TC/whatever and a big warning light until the next trip to GVA.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thule K Summits, expensive but require zero clearance and ok with abs and traction control, search my thread titled Poxy Poxy car
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56435
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy