Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Offensive behaviour

Poster: A snowHead
I am relatively new to snowheads and don't post often, however i noticed that when i used the word lady's front bottom in one of my posts it came out as "ladies front bottom" automatically.

Can anyone tell me what other words get automatically translated to something less offensive Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a try - you'll soon find out Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy wrote:

I know, i am itching to write vagina but am wondering i will get banned, having tourettes is such an isue and i get fed up of bing descriminated against
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins, so it changed lady's to ladies Puzzled wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe it's just cos your a FÄNNY that your discriminated against Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timbobaggins, Just wondering what will happen to Punani! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins wrote:
cathy wrote:

I know, i am itching to write vagina but am wondering i will get banned, having tourettes is such an isue and i get fed up of bing descriminated against

You can find out without actually posting by using the "preview" button
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's there for a reason, please don't try to evade it by using foreign characters. CHildren do read this site, let's be grown up shall we?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timbobaggins, there might be some other fora where your enthusiasm for discussing female genitalia might be more readily indulged. This one is mainly about snowsports.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timbobaggins, why would you want to use such a horrid term anyway (I mean the real word, not the euphimism)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt wrote:
It's there for a reason, please don't try to evade it by using foreign characters.

Only latchigo equates foreign characters with "see you next tuesdays". wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There seems to be an unwritten rule that one only by-passes the profanity filter as a very last resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the way it pluralizes and punctuates it correctly Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Timbobaggins, there might be some other fora where your enthusiasm for discussing female genitalia might be more readily indulged. This one is mainly about snowsports.

Pam good point. I appologise if offended anyone, i have actually asked some serious questions re snow related issues.'
Mind you did ask one about snowchains recently!!

Just my warped sense of humour
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins, chains are fair enough, but don't venture to snow tyres.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
cathy wrote:

I know, i am itching to write ( edited to avid offence as i think i have upset some snow heads ) but am wondering i will get banned, having tourettes is such an isue and i get fed up of bing descriminated against
latest report
Timbobaggins wrote:
cathy wrote:

I know, i am itching to write ( edited as i have caused offence ) but am wondering i will get banned, having tourettes is such an isue and i get fed up of bing descriminated against
snow report
My personal favourite is mummy's little sweetie
snow report
pam w wrote:
there might be some other fora where your enthusiasm for discussing female genitalia might be more readily indulged.

is fora really the plural of forum.
snow report
Quote:

Timbobaggins, chains are fair enough, but don't venture to snow tyres.

and lets leave helmets out too.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
There seems to be an unwritten rule that one only by-passes the profanity filter as a very last resort.

...yeah.... normally when replying to me!!
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
pam w wrote:
there might be some other fora where your enthusiasm for discussing female genitalia might be more readily indulged.

is fora really the plural of forum.

this from a man who teaches in Italy? It's a word from Latin, so yes -

Data = plural
Datum = Singular

and the reverse conjugation

Forum = singular
Fora = plural

although forums is also acceptable Wink
ski holidays
and, of course, there's "meeja". As in "I'm doing meeja studies for AS level".

And please note, "data" is the plural form, so don't let's be hearing "the data suggests that swine flu cases are still increasing". wink
ski holidays
Lalalala...... Toofy Grin
snow report
You're getting excited aren't you, Hurtle? wink
snow conditions
andyph, but trying not to! wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

And please note, "data" is the plural form, so don't let's be hearing "the data suggests that swine flu cases are still increasing". wink

It is rare that a single datum would suggest that, so the phrase would usually be correct.

Technically, one could argue that the "suggests" in that phrase should be "suggest", but that just sounds wrong, regardless of technicalities.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
Technically, one could argue that the "suggests" in that phrase should be "suggest", but that just sounds wrong, regardless of technicalities.
Now now, alex_heney, attitudes like that aren't going to get you graduated from Pedant College. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

one could argue that the "suggests" in that phrase should be "suggest", but that just sounds wrong,

yes, it does "sound" wrong and my tongue was firmly in my cheek, but it remains correct; we've just got used to people treating "data" , incorrectly, as a singular noun. I once had a Statistics lecturer who was quite pedantic on this point.

The statement in fact HAS to suppose that there is more than one datum - how could a single figure be used to draw any conclusions about a trend?
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
this from a man who teaches in Italy? It's a word from Latin,

Meeeeeeooww
No need for that was there.

But since you (sort of) asked to be corrected.
1st of all the fact the a word is derived from, associated with, coined from, or any other etymological jiggery pokey you can come up with does NOT mean that modern noun (pluralised) should also hold.
For example
The plural (from the English plurel, from the Latin plūrālis) of Forum (in modern English) is Forums “not"Fora". Even though Wiki knowledge states differently (wiki-ain’t-always-correct-ya-know)

Oh and before any Wiki-Bods start winging that it really should be Fora - note;
A forum (exchange of views) is just a abrogation of the Latin for (lit) “To Be Outdoors” which is where the Fora took place, and, as this forum (well me anyway) is indoors ???

The Plural of a number of people (being outside) exchanging views would be (in modern English) a football crowd not a fora

Enjoy wink
snow report
well I have always said "fora", and shall continue to do so, but I'm sure both forms are perfectly acceptable, so I'm not too sure why Wayne bothered about it in the first place. Anyway, his intervention had the merit of stopping everybody talking about rude words. wink
snow conditions
Wayne, or just a bunch of smokers outside the pub? wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
well I have always said "fora", and shall continue to do so, but I'm sure both forms are perfectly acceptable,

No they ain't, unless you live in the Vatican which (I think) is the only state to have Latin as the official language. I speak English not Latin, so it’s forums.

pam w wrote:
Anyway, his intervention had the merit of stopping everybody talking about rude words. wink

Am in Zermatt at the mo, and the lifts all closed today at lunch time due to the wind. Also can I say it was fecking cold this morning.
snow report
Quote:

it’s forums.

and medium/mediums? datum/datums? criterion/criterions? mouse/mouses? spouse/spice? Since when has English had a standard way of creating plurals? It's not a word I use in the plural very often, but "fora" is just what sprang into my mind, and what I have generally heard used over the years. Googling around a bit the conclusion seems to be that both are acceptable.
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
.....The plural (from the English plurel, from the Latin plūrālis) of Forum (in modern English) is Forums “not"Fora". Even though Wiki knowledge states differently (wiki-ain’t-always-correct-ya-know).....

Is the Chambers Dictionary (1998 edition, reprinted 2002) written by the pig-ignorant, too? It allows either forums or fora.
snow conditions
You say Potato-I say Potato
You say Tomato-I say Tomato
Potato, Potato, Tomato, Tomato < (Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to)

"Let's call the whole thing off!!

wink Very Happy
latest report
I say...nice thread drift!
snow report
Mmm! spices the plural of spouse - is that why tumeric and the like derived their usage from then, i.e. making the mundanne a little more interesting? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ooh, that stings Wayne. Wink
snow report
I understand both to be acceptable but tend to use fora as it feels correct
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy