Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with easy transfer by train from airports

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, need a bit of help, I have been given a free pass for a 2nd week away by my better half as a birthday treat, but I may have to go on my own. To keep cost down I am planning to go 1st or 2nd week in Jan, looking at an independant deal the transfers seem to be proportionaly high so I was interested in using trains for the transfer. I have been to Kaprun via Salzburg and Zell am See before and found it good value and easy so happy to look at this option again. Of course if anyone can come up with a package that is good value I,ll look at it. If anyone is in a similar situation happy to talk about getting a group together, if you want to spend a week with a soon to be 50yr old male, red and blue piste skier who likes a couple of beers but not all nighters.
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Moritz.

Definitely good for "soon to be 50yr old male, red and blue piste skier who likes a couple of beers but not all nighters".

Not sure about what deals you can find or how it compares with other resorts.

Or yes, reachable by train from Zurich.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoffknight,
If it were me looking at early Jan I would be thinking that conditions can vary quite a lot accross the alps at this time of year. I would try and avoid commiting to one place when you have a great opportunity to be flexible.
Cheapest way is probably wait untill a few days before you fly when you can pick up a cheap package usually very easily and very cheaply at that time.
If a package does not appeal a flight to Geneva or Zurich allows you to go to any resort in Switzerland by train occasionally with a post bus final step for the price of a swiss transfer ticket. Loads of great resorts in Switzerland.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zurich also gives you the option of some Austrian resorts too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If it were me looking at early Jan I would be thinking that conditions can vary quite a lot accross the alps at this time of year. I would try and avoid commiting to one place when you have a great opportunity to be flexible.
Cheapest way is probably wait untill a few days before you fly when you can pick up a cheap package usually very easily and very cheaply at that time.

Agreed. No need to tie yourself down now. The Alps will be your oyster. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw this site was recommend on twitter to work out train journeys, no idea how good it is.

http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zurich = 2 1/2 hours into St Anton/ Innsbruck: a little over an hour.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Salz/Inns/Zurich/Geneva all have good rail links to the Swiss and Austrian resorts with 'in resort' stations.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mayrhofen from Innsbruck is a doddle. Bus F from INN airport to Innsbruck train station, change at Jenbach for Mayrhofen. From memory took about an hour and a half. Two hours tops.

Meets your requirements for skiing and apres, and also has the nearby Hintertux glacier as an insurance policy against any unfavourable early-season lack of snow (which is well worth the 20 minutes bus ride for a day out in any case).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geoffknight

I wouldn't obsess to much about the transfer costs - provided you choose the right place/method then it can be done cost-effectively. Clearly private transfer to Tignes from GVA will be expensive as is hiring a car but there are good solutions with the right airport/resort/transfer combo e.g.

1) Friedrichshafen (fly ryainair) and get a transfer bus to Lech / St. Anton with these guys - http://www.mytransfer.at - meet the ryanair plane times and it's about 65 euro round trip. If you get 1st flight out of stansted, you can be skis on just after lunch in resort...

2) Fly to GVA and get a transfer to morzine with morzexpress.com (also serve chamonix if you have to)

but i would also look at late package deals - there might be some options around those...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inns to St Anton - taxi to train station about 4 minutes, train to St Anton (station right in center of the resort) maybe 1 hour 15 mins Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Innsbruck would give you easy access to lots great ski areas, but it's not easy to find reasonably priced flights. Alternatively, look into flying to Munich.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altenmarkt/Radstadt about an hour from Salzburg. Station right in the middle of town at Radstad. Am sure Flangesax would pick you up from the Bahnhof Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffknight, St Anton very doable by train from Innsbruck and Zurich direct. Also doable from Friedrichshafen but does require 2 changes - but literally change platform and a doddle.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SaraJ, cheap from Bristol and have two booked already Very Happy
latest report
geoffknight, I know you said 'train' but Satobus from Lyon to BSM may be an alternative - PM me if you want any more info, have done this on my own many times.
latest report
Thanks everyone for the responses, lots of options to look in to in more detail, I do plan to wait until nearer the time for booking anything, to make sure I choose somewhere that has good conditions, on that note will TO charge for single supplement at that time of year? MAN and LPL are my nearest airports so have a good range of options.
snow conditions
More public transport transfers: Lyon/Grenoble to Alpe d'Huez/2Alpes by bus.
snow report
Tour operators usually have very cheap last minute deals for those weeks eg filling unsold chalet rooms. If you're booking late they may wave single supplements.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
SaraJ, cheap from Bristol and have two booked already Very Happy

But not on Saturdays Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy