Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Duke or Fritschi Freeride Plus for my Coombas'

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure whether I should go for the Dukes or Barons' or the Fritschi Freeride Plus for my K2 Coombas'

I'm 160 pounds and use a setting of 8 so both have high enough settings for what I need.

I've used the Marker setup before with the Coombas' and it was awesome in the backcountry, and worked well on piste. I would go for this setup again but want to know more about the Fritschi Freeride Plus?

The advantage I see in the Fritschi is more scope for touring, which I don't do that much of at the moment but would like the potential to later in the season. This saves me spending more money and gives a little extra range. For now I am using them in the Backcountry and maybe some heli drops?

My main questions are...

How do the Fritschi feel different from the Dukes?
What difference does the lighter weight and height gain make to technique?
Does it benefit?
How do you see your own difference in performance?
What are the Fritschis' like for alpine use?

I really don't want downhill performance to suffer and I've not read any posts that discusses the difference in performance. Also, none I have read have had any contributions from people who have used both. Just people who have said either one of the other is good. Any information would be great. Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This question should be Duke Or Dynafit.

Dukes are great for resort based skiing - until you have to skin for more than an hour or so.
However if you want a real touring rig then Dynafit beats everything else hands down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well yea Dynafit id great if you want to own two pairs of boots. The Duke/Barron is probably your best option at this point. DH skiing is not compromised and you can tour in normal DH boots. Yea its heavy and may not be the best for touring but if your only just starting out then its a good option. If you want to day tour with several hours skinning then go dynafit. If you want to ski resort and occasionally skin 1-2 hours to get some then go barons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
luckydog, Fritchis have you raised higher of the ski, and have a bar running along them that stiffens the middle of the ski. This makes the ski seem a little dead, compared to normal alpine bindings (I've not skied Dukes).

Agree with Haggis_Trap, Dukes good for piste and 'side country', Dynafit for touring - but you'll need another pair of boots. Mrs Ski has Fristchi mounted Phat Luvs, and - whilst she enjoys being able to use both Downhill and Touring boots with them, she says they don't ski as well as they did with Solly she had on them before.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dukes=men.......fritschi=pu$$ie$.............which are you?...........

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
> dukes=men.......fritschi=pu$$ie$.............which are you?...........

Nope, the Marker Duke is for people who don't tour much or very far.
But like to look cool in places like Chamonix. Twisted Evil

Nothing wrong with Fritschis - and you can use them with normal boots, which is a big bonus.
However for a real touring set up then Dynafit is simply better.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah this stuff about fritschis suddenly being total POS is a bit silly. here is well known uber-gaper Pierre Tardivel climbing up a sporty looking slope and look at what bindings he is using!!!

i do prefer dukes and dynafits, but if you can get a deal on fritschis and you normally ski on 8 go for it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes but "Fritschi freeride plus" or "Eagle" with Gliding Technology?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tardivel is a pu$$y.......it even says so on his ice axes...............

okbye
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Freerides for everything, on and off-piste. It's true that they change the feel of the ski slightly because of the bar but it's a minor concern unless you're skiing on bottle-hard piste. For changing between ski and climb mode and changing the height of the heel raiser the Freeride is better designed and therefore far superior for climbing. So if touring is your main concern go for the Freeride if it's not the Duke will suffice.

We have them all in stock.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Facewest.co.uk wrote:
I use Freerides for everything, on and off-piste. It's true that they change the feel of the ski slightly because of the bar but it's a minor concern unless you're skiing on bottle-hard piste. For changing between ski and climb mode and changing the height of the heel raiser the Freeride is better designed and therefore far superior for climbing. So if touring is your main concern go for the Freeride if it's not the Duke will suffice.

We have them all in stock.

subtle Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Facewest.co.uk,

Yes but if buying new would you go for "Freeride plus" or the new "Eagle"?

I take it the Freeride plus probably skis better than the eagle (how much better?) but the eagle has a better more natural walk mode.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, the Freeride will be slightly stiffer and more responsive downhill. The new walk mode improves efficiency a fair bit. It's fairer to compare the Eagle with the old Explore and group the Freeride in with the Dukes and Barons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Facewest.co.uk,
Thanks. Do you know if the durability of the eagle is the same as the old explore or the freeride (white)?

luckydog,
This thread should help
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55445&highlight=freeride
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB: We've always found Diamir bindings to be durable and dependable. We do sell a high number and I can't think of any we've had problems with (unlike Naxo). Obviously the Eagle is a new binding but there's no reason to suggest they will be any different.
snow report
The Fritschi site says that the stopper on the Eagle only goes up to 80mm, so I went for Freerides this time. No doubt someone will tell me that I could have got wider ones wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-11-09 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No, Eagles take the same brakes as the Freerides. It's the crampons that are limited in size at the moment although I'mm sure they will make wider ones in the future.
snow report
Liveezy wrote:
Well yea Dynafit is great if you want to own two pairs of boots.

I`m sure ive read you can retro fit boots up to fit the dynafits.

here

I have dreams about coomba`s with dynafits on.......... one day, along with a pair of seven summits or something. Then the collection will be complete. Well actually 1 more I need an auld tattie pair of skis with dynafits for touring Scotland. Guess which ones coming first snowHead
ski holidays
Yoda, you could've got wider ones.............

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol, it seems you're right, but not wider harscheisen.
latest report
Yoda, hammer and vice?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, a trifle harsh, but I guess he deserves it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Yoda, i see you've deleted the part where you called me a d!ckhe@d!!!!!!!......why????????..........for gods sake man, grow some swingers.........

okbye
snow conditions
All Naxo brakes have been taken now.

Thanks.
snow report
ski wrote:
luckydog, Fritchis have you raised higher of the ski, and have a bar running along them that stiffens the middle of the ski.

What Tosh!

The bar supports the boot and nothing else. The heel end of the bar is completely free to slide back and forth so the flex will be SOFTER than with conventional bindings with their springs that grip the boots. This feature was also exploited by the now-defunct Fritschi Rave alpine bindings.
snow conditions
on a side note, surely are the coomba's themselves not going to be difficult on piste cos of the pure size and lack of side cut. so the fact that a tried and tested fritschi has the bar will make little difference....
ski holidays
OliC, they aren't that big. Same dims as my High Society Freerides and they're OK on piste.

Theyr'e not too keen on ice mind.
snow report
Got the Barons, was using the same set up in Japan earlier in the year. Worked well both in the backcountry and on the piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got the Barons, was using the same set up in Japan earlier in the year. Worked well both in the backcountry and on the piste.
snow report
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the dukes/barrons have a weakness, you have to take the ski off to engage touring mode or put it back to ski, a pain in the back bottom if in soft snow!

Personally I say look at what you are doing, if you are climbing alot then the freerides are the way forward! alot lighter and climb modes work alot better HOWEVER if you are mainly going down the hill the markers are the way forward as they lock off fully and there is no movement within the binding! (feels alot more positive for piste work)
latest report
dansmith wrote:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the dukes/barrons have a weakness, you have to take the ski off to engage touring mode or put it back to ski, a pain in the back bottom if in soft snow!

I really don't understand that, surely you have to take your skis off anyhow to affix skins?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
dansmith wrote:

I really don't understand that, surely you have to take your skis off anyhow to affix skins?

Yes but you can take your skins off with your skis on.
ski holidays
after a climb i like to stop for a bit and survey the area...take in the scenery and generally get all emotional about where i am, what i've just done and what i'm about to do...also to rest up a bit for the descent...maybe take some calories on board...thats why clicking my skis off to remove the skins and put the dukes in downhill mode doesn't annoy me...its all part of the experience...also the dukes rule over the fritschis on the downhill and thats what its all about....

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol wrote:
after a climb i like to stop for a bit and survey the area...take in the scenery and generally get all emotional about where i am, what i've just done and what i'm about to do...also to rest up a bit for the descent...maybe take some calories on board...thats why clicking my skis off to remove the skins and put the dukes in downhill mode doesn't annoy me...its all part of the experience...also the dukes rule over the fritschis on the downhill and thats what its all about....

okbye

I agree with you and if it was me buying one of these bindings I would buy a duke! BUT if i was doing a long climb they are f*******g heavy and the hight ajustments are no way near as effective!
latest report
dansmith,yes mate they are heavy but you should hit the gym and do some squats and drink your milk!.....problem solved wink ....

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol wrote:
after a climb i like to stop for a bit and survey the area...take in the scenery and generally get all emotional about where i am, what i've just done and what i'm about to do...

... is that after you've climbed the stairs at Marks and Spencers?
ski holidays
DB, that was unnecessarily harsh... Laughing
ski holidays
DB, excuse me..... the marksies i shop at has escalators.........

okbye
ski holidays
The argument for taking Dukes / Barons off to engage / re-engage the touring mode is only really an issue for travel. If you've got them on big skis, as most have, good luck pulling your skins off without tweaking a hamstring! Make sure you have the Coltex skins otherwise you might do an ACL as well... Wink

I have managed both removal & (half) an application with bindings on (on a 190cm ski!), but it was for show. As above, I think most people appreciate the rest when they're gearing up or down. Unless you wear Lycra & like to be roped up as you move in a poetic unison, but then again these guys are on 170cm skis so reach is easier.

The real reason people state it as an 'con' for the range is when you are 'traveling' rather than just skining. For example, you make a descent, sans skins, and then want to pole across a flat section but can't be bothered to put your skins back on. On AT bindings, switch to 'tour' and slip slide across with ease. Or perhaps the other way round, you are ascending with skins on and need to descend a short pitch but can't be bothered to take your skins off, AT binding back to 'ski' mode et voila, you can half ski down the slope without being thrown out of the front door.

I have to take my Dynafits off to change mode and they are arguably harder to take off / put on than Dukes.

And the comment about soft snow? Someone needs more lessons, putting skis back on in soft snow is 10x easier than putting them on on steep terrain, where's the issue? Bury the tail, engage the toe and click in...

All touring bindings are a compromise in one way or another, you were out what suits you best and go for it.

Tour more - get Dynafits
Ski more - get Dukes

Can't afford either? Get Fritschis Wink Joke, Fritschis serve a great purpose for doing neither skiing or touring very well so would suit someone who does 50/50. Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy