Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pet hates on the piste

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Boredsurfing, 1st post tartiflette chair ride....oh come on, fess up, you know you have done it wink

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett wrote:
anyone on those silly 'bike' type things that you stand on and have handlebars...

why?

Some people have to use them because of health issues. sharon1953 being one of those.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon wrote:

The only thing I do hate is behaviour dangerous to others.

Couldn't agree more!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, 1st post tartiflette chair ride....oh come on, fess up, you know you have done it wink

Yep, on more than one occasion wink
and suffered derision from the offspring Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Offspring? IS that a special Montalbert spring under the chair that helps you get off after lunch Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Yep, it also schreeches c'mon dad as it drags you to your ski's snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prats that fanny about in the off ramp area of a chairlift, putting on pole straps, waiting for their mates, reading a piste map, adjusting back packs, fastening burst trouser press-studs etc etc. DO IT SOMEWHERE EFFING ELSE YOU DOZY TOSSERS

Best to look at the piste map on the way up... Had a slight disagreement with OH when he refused to look at the piste map before a piste junction, when on the way back at the recommended last leaving time from an area, with me in the middle of my first week in winter. Led to me struggling down my first black piste! as we'd gone the wrong way and either would have to go back and probably miss the last lift back to our valley, walk up a narrowish red (not exactly safe) or ski down a short but busy black piste. Wouldn't have happened if he'd've looked (or let me stop to look) at the piste map on exiting the lift!

Trouser press studs isn't an issue for me (ass and thigh size is more determining than waist for trouser purchasing decisions) and I don't use a rucksack, so the only time I have to adjust equipment/wait in this zone is (a) deciding what to do about dropped ski pole which I stood on getting onto the lift Embarassed many thanks to the kind soul who brought it up for me or (b) navigational problems where signposting is rubbish. Of course the number of people hanging about is increased by having to wait for friends when you've gone up in dribs and drabs with other people (or the ski school!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
People who fart in gondolas (theres always one on the transarc)
people who block the run-out of chairlifts.
people who stand on the back of my board in lift queues.
drunken people (on skis or boards)
Those snowblade things!!!!
Moguls.

The most hated thing of all ... really has nearly driven me to violence ...
people who ride past you in groups when you are painstakingly going safely one at a time on steep off piste.

tux
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Randomsabreur, surely you would check the map BEFORE getting on a chairlift. Otherwise, how would you know the terrain at the top was suitable
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People hopelessly out of their depth on a given piste

People who ski too fast

People who ski too slow

People who are better than me

Anyone who can telemark well. No need for that, that's just showing off.

Thick slush

Hard crusty off-piste

Falling under the charlift

Queues: for a lift, at the bar, for food, for toilets, for the check-in

The gits that got to the fresh snow before me

Lifts that keep stopping

The Sun, the Moon and everything in between
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiers riding over the back of my board or sticking their poles on it in lift queues, it's not a feckin rental.

Lines of skiers doing follow the leader from one side of the piste right to the other (making it really hard to pass safely).

Out of control skiers or boarders.

Skiers who don't think about a boarders blind spot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh yeah, and Johhny Foreigners who don't learn to speak english in their own country.

I am fed up of having to shout loudly at waiters " Oi mush deux bier pour favour " whilst giving a V sign at some lazy French waiter who could not be bothered to take English O Level when he was at school. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just hate the fact that I never mastered transendental meditation and get so ANGRY at so many other people for the most trivial reasons. Evil or Very Mad

Om mani padme hum
Om mani padme hum
Om mani padme hum....

Aaaaahhh... Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check at the bottom shows that there is suitable terrain. Checking at the top happens when you've not fancied the piste you've just looked at on the way up (presence of large moguls on blue for instance) and you're looking for other options. It also happens when the directional signs seem not to tally with the piece of paper you have in your hand and the route you had in your mind and you have to work out that to get to the piste you thought you were aiming at, you actually have to do 200 metres down a different one before turning right.

Or what you thought was a piste down, is actually the wrong way up a piste (directional arrows/contour lines would be useful on a piste map!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Folks who think it's ok to have a whole t-bar to themselves despite the 40 deep queue behind them (scotland skiing), snowballs to the head when attempting to stay on is fine as is just joining them on it and ignoring the moans of said morons.
ski holidays
Mostly i ski a lot on my own & off piste so other people don't bother me so much as i adjust my skiing to suit the conditions whether that be a 45+ degree couloir or a crowed blue at the end of the day.

However 2 things in particular really get me. First is people who stop below rollovers. last year i nearly killed a french skier luckily i speed checked before the rollover as i'm quite paranoid about them so was going slow enough to make evasive maneuvres to avoid him. Basically his mates, about 8 of them so they took up a fair amount of room, stood in the centre of the piste at the top of the rollover. When i went around them he was lying down directly on the blind side of the rollover just on the line you had to take to avoid his mates. Mostly it's snowboarders who sit down in the worst places but you do sometimes get skiers doing it too.

The other thing that's not on the piste that really winds me up is snowboarders sideslipping couloirs they're not good enough to ski. I mostly find it's english snowboarders, though not exclusively that do this. There's nothing more frustrating to come up to a couloir on a powder day to find it's been side slip stripped clean. It's one thing not getting the first tracks another to find it's been stripped from people biting off more than they can chew.
snow conditions
People who think they are a better person than you because they ski better than you,

Board tools who don't attach their board to their leg, then let in fly off... you jump out the way because it is doing 60mph and they shout at you for not stopping it.

Small children in catsuits who believe the queues don't apply to them.

Littering scum

Stuck up brits who think they are better than you because they earn more money.

Stuck up brits who think they are better than you because they married someone who earns more money.

Park rats who mock anyone without twin tips.

Anyone who buys race skis at full price so they can snow plough down red runs.

School teachers stuck on a power trip who think they can tell you how to ski and instruct because they know everything ever.

Anyone who runs over the backs of my skis.

out of control skiers and bladers going straight down the piste screaming "nnnneeeeooooowwwwwww" (fortunatly boarders can't do this as the snowboard has a great talent for killing these people off quick"

ESF instructors who believe they are descended from the almighty

Plastic spastics (dry-slope skiers) who explain that skidding is failing

Lifties who shout at the beginners who fall of the drag lift -(i fall off it sometimes, leave them alone)

Instructors who refuse to listen to other peoples advice

People on ski forums who argue to the death something they just made up bthat is obviously wrong..........its true "before the internet, the village idiot stayed in the village"

French food and drink prices in resort

Angry skiers who shout at beginners for getting in their way or slowing them down for 10 seconds on the lift (think london commuter + Roadrage + a bucket load of testosterone)
snow report
and both of frank4short, 's.....
snow conditions
dulcamara, maybe skiing's not for you! Laughing
snow report
Idiots who take off at speed over blind rollers without a clue who or what is on the other side rolling eyes
snow report
dulcamara, and breadth out....
snow conditions
I really don't understand this one about people stopped under rollovers. Perhaps I'm paranoid but when I get to rollovers I imagine a child who fell on the blind side and I just slow down, or cut across towards an area where I can see more.

Yes if I do see someone just sitting there I sometimes go and explain that it's not a good idea, as very fast skiers or boarders could hit them.

dulcamara, three quarters of that was tongue-in-cheek, right? (in which case 666 did it better!)
ski holidays
horizon, I always speed check before rollovers as i'm massively paranoid of killing someone one day by hitting one at speed with my ski going square into a person. However be that as it may it does not excuse the behaviour of people deliberately stopping directly below them. Especially if they're on the clear ski line whether this be as i described earlier having to ski around some people in the centre of the piste to find out there's someone below the roller to the side of them or just someone stopped below the line of sight in the centre of the piste. Even if you fall on a roller unless you're injured you should always try to get yourself out of the way as soon as possible as it's an inherently dangerous place to be.

In saying all of the above jumping rollers at speed is amazing fun. I just make sure if i'm going to do it i have a spotter on the roller making sure the landing & run out are clear.
snow report
horizon, tongue in cheek?
ski holidays
frank4short, I take your point and I agree that jumping rollers safely is fun. I guess it's a difference of reaction, having slowed down anyway I care little whether someone is or isn't in fact sitting under the rollover.

(One can of course ski very close to them in control and spray them with snow!)
latest report
please note... I have few to no problems with skiing... just a lot of people who do it!!!!
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, i'll tell you what i learned real quick amigo....to watch any good skier and try to emulate what they did.....to do exactly as my instructor instructed me to do.... and to shutthefcukup and not say a word until i knew what i was (a) doing; and (b) talking about...........

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, .... and to shutthefcukup and not say a word until i knew what i was (a) doing; and (b) talking about...........
such a shame you forgot how to do that one wink

okfcukoff
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idiots panicking and lifting the chair bar halfway up a lift journey and hitting me with it in the face, then blaming me for not paying attention when I shout at them?! It really doesn't take long to lift the bar if you leave it later rolling eyes
ski holidays
Ipods being used whilst skiing or boarding (bit dangerous me thinks...) whilst wearing idiotic-looking. giant sized headphones over a ski hat.

I bet they think they look great (sorry, "cool....")
ski holidays
why do people get upset about

dulcamara wrote:
Anyone who runs over the backs of my skis

So your top sheets get a bit scratched - what's the problem? if it's a bun fight in the lift line then these things happen...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-11-09 23:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
tuxpoo wrote:

people who ride past you in groups when you are painstakingly going safely one at a time on steep off piste.
tux

Yup, totally agree with that one.

As for the rest of it, the more I've been out there the more complacent I've become.

bertie bassett, Yes - the 'bottoms' are scratched up enough, what's a few more on the top? They're normally covered in snow anyway!
snow report
GROOMING Skullie

Stop the Brutal Grooming.
latest report
allanm wrote:
tuxpoo wrote:

tux

Yup, totally agree with that one.

As for the rest of it, the more I've been out there the more complacent I've become.

bertie bassett, Yes - the 'bottoms' are scratched up enough, what's a few more on the top? They're normally covered in snow anyway!

I can't say about off piste as I am no expert although it is a lot more difficult to get into a rythm if the place is trashed even from my limited experience.

As for people standing on others skis in lift queues and the like, I have to also agree with that. Skis/Boards are going to get scratched up. All the better for them not getting nicked as far as I am concerned!!!!!

That is not to say I deliberately go about skiing/standing on other people's skis mind you (I do my utmost not too), but the nature of ski queues it is an unfortunate by product.
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
People who take high speed short cuts through marked beginner areas, treating the novices there as exceedingly inconvenient obstacles. An area above Peisey-Vallandry was bad for that with a well used rat-run traversing the otherwise enclosed "zone débutant".

Inconvient obstacles, No...

Slalom Gates ! Toofy Grin
snow report
Idiots in fancy dress, hate it !!!
latest report
Retards who are oblivious to the dangers of snow parks and that kickers are viewing points.

Bladers

Over protective parents who think its safer to block the whole ski run. Rather than letting people pass.

People who do not stop on the side of piste

Hoorays who must be deaf as in order to hear themselves they are so loud the whole mountain can hear.
latest report
Rocker, just listen to yourself and work out what's annoying. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Tourists and holidaymakers who trash the place.
Seasonaires & Residents who think they own the place.
Lifties who think they run the place.
Locals who do really own the place.

Anyone else on the slope but me and friends, and there are no friends on a powder day.
latest report
People who are too dumb to realise that their dislikes simply betray their prejudices. Toofy Grin
Loud oiks. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy