Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eh?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm still undecided on which board to go for next. Was at TSA MK yesterday demo'ing some boards (thanks fellas) and had 3 of my own already. Still can't choose.

The lowdown:

I'm thinking 59 or 60 max, freeride all mountain with a touch of freestyle. I've done 4 weeks riding in total and weigh 85kg.

I've had a burton 7 at 58 which I loved
Salomon Special 62 which I hated
Zeppelin 61 which I sold before I could ride

Demo'd

59 Signal Omni didn't like at all
57 believer which I loved but was this the size or the board?
59 OG which I liked

would like to demo a Nitro Blacklight 60 and a Rome graft next but TSA don't stock Nitro boards. Will the blacklight be to much for me? Any other recommend-o's?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bataleon riot maybe? I love TBT Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nitro Rook?
Flat camber, extended nose and tail for powder riding.

The salomon would have been crap because it would need a de tune on the nose and tail imo.

Or the mother of all, salomon sick stick, low camber all mountain freestyle machine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Review of Nitro Rook:

"The Rook was without doubt my favorite snowboard at the Kaunertal Snowboard Test and probably in my list of the best boards of all time, praise indeed but the Nitro Rook is an incredible all-round park twin shaped shredder! For a park board it has a reassuring medium/firm flex, which gave me so much confidence gunning up large, high speed transitions. Other features include incredibly fast base, extra thick edges, shovel shaped nose and tail and a dual degressive sidecut which makes for stable non catch take-offs. The Rook board is at home anywhere on the mountain, I had fun in the park, pow, piste and jibbing on street style jibs in the park. If I had to stick with one board for the rest of my years It’b be the Rook."

Interesting.....very interesting.....

I guess it would be similar to my old 7 but perhaps easier riding on piste and in pow?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i didn't get chance to ride it yet. I ordered the rook for the shop so as soon as the snow comes I'll try it. The board has been caning it in the reviews. There is a special edition one with real nice engraved style graphics from some famous artist. Looks awesome. The rail killer edges are big chunky lumps of metal, compared to normal edges they are like double thickness. I imagine it will be better in powder than the 7 and more forgiving on edge catching with the flat camber. For me nitro boards have a bit of life in them, a lot of boards just feel a bit lifeless. I've ridden nitro for years now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you weigh 85kg, I'd suggest you want something more in the 162-165 range. Do not fear the length! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dont forget my rule though, over 160 makes you look gay.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Under 160 is for small children, girls and midgets. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm thinking now its between the Believer and the Rook. I'll wait for more reviews and see if I can demo a Rook myself. I think I have to agree with plums here that over 160 makes you look 'unnatural'. Don't hire and instructors automatically give a longer board? Isn't this to do with easy straight lines?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gainz, i would have thought instructors and gibmonkey shop techies wink would give small boards Puzzled they always seemed to try to fob me off with some mini lump of rubbish that had a tendancy to spin in circles at the slightest bit of heel pressure Laughing or maybe it was becasue i was pants Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
<160 for on piste poofters
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Don't hire and instructors automatically give a longer board? Isn't this to do with easy straight lines?

With ray here, most places will give you a shorter board as they're easier for beginners to turn.

You're heavy enough to flex the longer board properly, you won't have any problems turning it. You'll get the benefit of better edge hold, more stability at speed and a lot more float in powder.

If you're a park rat or into just generally mucking about rather than off-piste then you'll be fine on the shorter boards. If you live for the powder, you NEED a longer one. I've got a 161 (Burton Operator) which is great for park, messing around and also for fun, quick carving but it's hopeless off-piste compared to the big sticks. I'm about the same weight as you are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always give a board under the chin unless they (a) know if they are goofy or regular and (b) pass one of my questions. You know straight away if someone needs a proper board.

Short boards and wide stance work fine(ish) off piste, you just need to go faster Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
actually here's my logic.
I live in ze mountains. The number of real powder days are few are far between, especially if work and crowds get in the way. So most of my time is spent spazzing around on the piste, this makes a board over 160 gay. I'm thinking of lowering this limit to 158 Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

you just need to go faster

I was out riding with a French instructor last year and we were chatting about boards. He's about the same size as me and rides a 163 or thereabouts. He mentioned that he used to guide, off-piste on a 154. I suggested that this must have been a right pain in the tits, especially when working with clients. His reply was "No, eet woz OK, I just go straight all ze time, neever stop!" Shocked

Kind of know what you mean though. I'm lucky, I've got 4 boards (161 all-rounder, 167 big-mountain stick, 169 split and 156 Fish) but I probably spent at least 50% of my time on the 161 (or, whichever one's not fecked at any given moment) and that's living/riding in Sainte Foy where it's all about the off-piste.
snow report
I also have a varied collection of boards
157 nitro eero ettalla (directional twin)
157 nitro MFM (directional twin)
156 (I think, cant remember what size they are sending me, cant imagine I would have gone 159) burton custom V (directional twin)
158 nitro sub zero (true twin)
158 burton custom (directional twin)
and some edge broken randoms.

See my options are endless Laughing I have all piste conditions covered. Actually the sub zero is the powder stick because of the rocker, or the V but I think the other half would be better off with that, in fact scrub the V, do not want.
latest report
Jonny luv plums, lets hear one of your questions wink In principal I agree though, if someone doesn't know their stance they'll be better off with a shorter board.

I've just bought a 171, should I grow a moustache?
snow report
Swirly,
"are you a good snowboarder?"
The answer "yes" gets a beginner board.

When people ask me what I've got before they even check in then I dont ask any questions.
So many times you get the "I'm the best boarder in the world" attitude then at lunchtime you see them on the nursery slope or using the board as a sledge down the street.

171 Shocked how do they measure the turning circle of that? With a calendar?
latest report
Jonny luv plums, Laughing true.

It was you that put me onto the 171, well not the size but the board. It was that or a 164 and I have a 164 already which doesn't have a camel toe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy