Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long johns/leggings/skins inside ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, should I wear my thermal leggings/skins inside my ski boots, and if the advice is not to, then what should I do with bottom 6 inches or so?

Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no
cut it off
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No

Buy calf length ones
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cut it off. My wife had some full length thermal leggings last year and for the first day she tried them inside the boots - very uncomfortable. So we simply took a pair of scissors and chopped off the bottom, and Robert is your father's brother.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but some fabrics will unravel..... if you're not a sewing sort of person, maybe ask someone who is? Long long johns are a pain. But then some people still have their ski pants tucked inside their boots - so it's obviously personal choice!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I couldn't wear my long johns inside my boots but I have a pair of CW-X leggings which are like Skins and they are fine because they are so tightly fitting
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fold the bottom 6 inches back above the knee, so you have a short strip of double thickness. Works fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's right - no need to cut them. Just keep them above your boot and they will fall into folds on your shins and give more insulation.

Makes me think of Nora Battie's wrinkled stockings Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/18/article-1097085-02D7AEC0000005DC-311_468x625.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just push them up your calf above the boot. That's what i do & it's never been a problem to me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear mine inside my boot, but I only wear normal socks - not ski socks - so maybe that's why I find it comfortable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought 3/4 ones in Tesco's last year. Mind you the time I needed them most was under my jeans in the evening and full length would have been a bonus then!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would you tuck your shirt (blouse) inside your boxers (thong)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had to cut mine as they had cuffs with seams above - couldn't even get them over my calf never mind up to my knee.

pam w, I thought they would unravel, but they haven't, just look a bit ragged, but not bothered about that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i spent about 20 minutes looking at pictures of some pretty severe bruising to a clients ankle/foot a few years back, we looked at all sorts of things that we thought may cause the problem...it was only when he mentioned that he wore his ron hill tracksters inside his boots that we noticed the bruises matched the exact point where the hem and the foot strap happened to be

DO NOT HAVE THEM INSIDE Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie
snow report
coming from CEM, who is God of all things boot related...I'm worried. but I like my thermals in my ski boots, and I have no discomfort. To be honest I thought this thread was a joke at first as I had considered no other way Laughing
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, your boots are too big. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Absolutely - long johns/ thermals inside boots is a big no-no. That has to be one important thing to come of the thread for the opening poster. Just don't do it!
snow report
comprex wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, your boots are too big. Toofy Grin

and your not pressing the front of the boots either. Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hilarious thread.

Tip: if you haven't yet mastered dressing yourself you are not ready to embark on something as complicated as going on holiday.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Can too just have to take mummy with you! Toofy Grin
snow report
Right guys. Lets talk common sense. I am OK to have big fat ski socks in my boots....right? Well I dont like, or need them. I wear little short thin ankle socks. My lovely soft Peter Storm thermals fit lovely in my boot and cause me no discomfort.........tell me...where is the problem? x
latest report
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

I am OK to have big fat ski socks in my boots....right?
Nope, properly fitted boots have no room for big fat socks. Your boots are indeed likely to be too big. (I have only recently been initiated into the dark arts practised in Bicester, btw. wink)
ski holidays
Hurtle, so you wear ankle socks while skiing?
ski holidays
Question from Mrs Radar who wears her seemles(north face) longjohns under her ski socks,never had a problem so why shouldn't she carry on?
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, What Hurtle, says, plus the seams at the top of your short sock and bottom of your thermals, will cause a ridge inside the boot. Not good.
I have 3/4 length thermals and thin ski socks that overlap the thermals above boot cuff height. I'd be lucky to get a fag paper in they fit so well.
ski holidays
radar, Seamless is the saving factor, but it's still not good to have two layers between the skin and boot liner. The sock could ruck, it's wicking properties could be affected, friction between the layers, etc.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, how far up your boots do your ankle socks come? If they reach to the top of your boot, they're no different from ski socks. If they don't, no wonder you need your thermals to fill the space above them.

And if you're only comfy with them inside, what do you do on those days when it's too hot for thermals? .

And yes, what about thermal top. Inside underpants? Between underpants and thermal leggings? Between the leggings and the salopettes? (This is a genuine issue which my OH and I have argued about before now. But then we have been married a long time.....)

With luck this thread might see us through to the pre-Christmas snow. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

And yes, what about thermal top. Inside underpants? Between underpants and thermal leggings? Between the leggings and the salopettes?
Very good question. wink I adopt whichever solution prevents any top layer from riding up - the combination varies from outfit to outfit. Cool

Quote:

With luck this thread might see us through to the pre-Christmas snow
Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, pants, long johns over pants, thermal base layer pulled over long johns, ski troursers. Trousers over boots not in them.
ski holidays
radar,
Quote:

Trousers over boots not in them
I don't know, somebody told me that the stirrup-footed skin-tight pants which used to be worn in the 1970s are about to come into fashion again. wink
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
radar,
Quote:

Trousers over boots not in them
I don't know, somebody told me that the stirrup-footed skin-tight pants which used to be worn in the 1970s are about to come into fashion again. wink

Where can I buy some?
snow report
Spyderman, is this wise? rolling eyes
latest report
Spyderman, Italy seemed to be very popular for posing with the Italians, when I was in La Rossiere
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman, is this wise? rolling eyes

Are you saying they wouldn't suit me? Puzzled Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd be lucky to get a fag paper in they fit so well.

Shocked

I'm doing it all wrong!
snow conditions
Skins won't fold up they're far too tight, the only option is to wear them inside the boot. But they're so skin tight I doubt they'd be noticeable at all - if they are then they're too big! Everything else outside the boot.
snow report
What about ski racers outfits. the legs appear to go inside the boot?
snow conditions
Thermals? What's wrong with you lot, WORK HARDER!!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
michaelf wrote:
What about ski racers outfits. the legs appear to go inside the boot?

I wonder what Chemmy does when she's skiing recreationally?
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy