Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need snowchains/snow tyres to drive in France in January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I have managed to get a long weekend off in January and have managed to get a cheap flight for the family to Geneva.
On arrival we normally just hop on the train and go to somewhere in Switzerland.
This time we thought we would give Chamonix a try, and car hire from the airport seems the best option for us.
Cost wise for me there is no difference between pick up France or Swiss side, but looking at the threads the Swiss side seams easier for pick up, and getting on the road to Chamonix.

If I book with Holiday Autos on the Swiss side they give me the option to pay extra for the winter pack of snow tyres etc.
If I book on the French side that option is not available.
As I will only be in Switzerland for a couple of miles is it worth opting for the winter snow pack of snow tyres and chains, or is it a requirement to drive in France in January with snow tyres and chains anyway?.

We are hoping to spend one day at Argentier and one at Le Tour.

Thanks for your help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Legally" you should carry chains in France on certain roads and I think you past the point in the way upto Chamonix past which this is so.

Your risk as to whether you pre-order, the risk being if there is a lot of snow and the police are doing spot checks they will turn you round to go and get some.

The nearest place would be in Sallanches so provided the shops are open you are pretty sure you could pick some up for around €40(pure guess) from hte Carrefour..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't risk not having chains. You'll be gutted if you can't get near the slopes because there's too much snow, and getting stuck just isn't fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do a search on geneva car hire as there was a thread on this recently.

If you hire the car in Switzerland it will almost definitely have winter tyres whether you want them or not. On the thread I referred to some Snowheads reported being charged a winter surcharge by the hire companies on bookings made through holiday autos where the winter supplement hadn't been paid.

With winter tyres you would only need chains if you are driving through deep snow which is highly unlikely if you're on the main ski roads in Chamonix.

We regularly drive over from Switzerland via the Col de Forclaz albeit usually in March and April and don't carry chains. If the Col is open it's passable with winter tyres.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy