Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve, Les contamines or Villars for an off piste/advanced mid-week break from Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

I've just booked some flights into Geneva on the 25th Jan for 3 days skiing.

I'm thinking of trying somewhere new clos(ish) to Geneva. I've never been to any of the 3 resorts in the title, and wondered what others thought of them?

Requirements are pretty simple.

1. Max 2 hrs from Geneva
2. Cheap self catering accomodation within walking distance of lifts
3. Good skiing (on an off piste) - off piste that isn't trashed within 2 seconds of a dump!
4. Tree skiing available in case of bad weather

Places I have been to and hence please don't suggest I go to one of these if you have a chalet/apartment/other business to flog in that area

Morzine
Les Gets
Les Carroz
La Clusaz
Chamonix
Verbier
Val D'Annivers
Engelberg

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
haven't been to Villars but I am planning a trip to Les C later this season. I have done a few weekends there and it is great for a short break. None of the piste skiing is esp challenging but most of it is good fun. Lots of obvious off-piste and a few interesting hike-to options. There are also a couple of nice introductory tours from the lifts if you want to give that a go

generally, it's a really nice low key place and well worth a visit. if you really want a workout, get a guide and do the Glacier d'Armancette (might be a bit early season but who knows). 2 day trip, one of which is entirely uphill, with a night in the Conscrits hut but the reward is one of the classic descents in the Mont Blanc range
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
off piste that isn't trashed within 2 seconds of a dump! - too unlikely.
Les Contamines and St Gervais are OK though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beequin, there are lots of places in Europe that don't get trashed quickly......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, I have only been to Megeve of the three, I suspect it falls down a bit on requirement #2. Friends had an apartment at the bottom of Mt d'Arbois for a week last season which was near to lifts, you may need to get a bus from most other places.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Friend of mine who is a decent skier went to Leysin and had a good time off piste, no personal experience.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not sure how cheap accommodation in Villars is but there is skiing below the tree line, and the train runs right up the top from the valley, so you could presumably stay low and take the train up - I know that doesn't satisfy 2, but you may not have to walk too much. Skiing isn't very well linked, but that time in January I would think the powder does stay around and powder hounds will go to Verbier & PdS. Skiing area is not large, but if you're lucky with powder it would keep you happy. Leysin is a lot smaller, and without powder probably wouldn't keep you happy for 3 days. I really enjoyed St Gervais last year, but there is not much accommodation close to lifts. Others know it better than me and can help you there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, i live not far from Villars and it is better known as family friendly than off piste. I've never actually skied Villars but did a day at Les Diablerets which was limited. Only skied Megeve once when there was no fresh snow but the terrain didn't look obviously off piste friendly other than the face below the top lift. Don't know Les Contamines. Advantages of those choices is that whatever off piste there is won't be so tracked.

For an off piste weekend I would suggest a day at Bruson, where you can always get freshies, and a day at Verbier (shouldn't be too busy end Jan). You could base yourself at Le Chable as I think there's a bus to Bruson.

I often ski Verbier/Bruson at the weekends and may be able to help you with transport if you do a Bruson day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to Les Contamines at the end of January, and by lunchtime midweek one of the reds have 5 tracks on it prior to ours. Reasonable I would have thought. It was -15 though. I am by a really top skiing mate of mine that when chamonix is tracked out they come up to Les Contamines because very few bother to. In other words it keeps a few serios off pisters happy for a day or two at least. (I can beat him at Golf though!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, If I were in your shoes I'd think about this on teh 17th January... possibly on the 10th if you really want to plan ahead...... see where the snow is, see what the forecasted snow is and then pick a resort.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy