Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good quality fleeces

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend any?

Preferably for (much) less than 100 scoobies? (looked at the R3/R4 patagonia ones but out of my price range!)

I'm hoping to hit TKmaxx and maybe pick one up, but this may be akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

What features should I look out for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not going to go into brands or models.

For Canada, for layering under a good jacket or salopettes these fabrics would be my first choice:

Polartec Thermal Pro
Polartec Thermal Pro High Loft
Polartec Classic 300 weight or higher (sometimes called Expedition weight)

These would be my second choice:
Polartec WindBloc
Polartec WindPro

Any garment made from one of these will include a tag to say so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't use a windbloc fleece under a shell jacket as the breathability is adversely effected, the shell provides the windblock.

Mountain hardwear monkey man fleece (if you need a windbloc fleece)

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Mountain-Hardwear-Monkey-Man-Jacket.html

womens model

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Mountain-Hardwear-Womens-Monkey-Woman-Jacket.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 10-11-09 14:14; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, on her previous trip she was wearing a t-shirt under the fleece for warmth. This tells me that the shell she was using -didn't- have a good windblock.

Upgrading to a better shell is highly unlikely to happen for under 100 scoobies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex,

If v1cky24 was only cold when the wind blew I'd assume the same. (replacing the shell might be more effective than replacing the fleece in this case). If not v1cky24 probably needs a higher performance fleece.

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Ladies-Fleece.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies.

Are the windbloc fleeces generally thicker?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, the Thermal Pro ones and the Expedition weight ones are generally thicker, thicker than a knit cardigan for example. They can have a wide variety of handfeel and surface finishes, including smooth or woven or pseudo-fur looks.

The Windblock and WindPro have different fibre orientation and cross-sectional makeup to give them wind blocking properties. They can have a wide variety of handfeel and surface finishes, including smooth or suede or corduroy appearance, but will generally be smoother and denser on the outside than the purely thermal ones.

If you look at DB's link, you can see the fabric spec on most of the fleeces, and you can probably pick the ones which probably wouldn't be a good combination for your goals.

Perhaps train your eye on the desirable ones and then look for the same? Be sure to check the fabric tag in TKmaxx, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not wanting to hijack someone else's thread but saves making another one Smile

What weight fleece is recommended for someone who doesn't get too cold and has a goretex shell and will be wearing thermals as a base?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the fleece business confuses me too - given that they range from about £9.99 to £999.99. There are obvious styling and weight differences - but lightweight ones come in all prices, as do heavyweight ones. Mine are generally Decathlon own brand - cheap and available in a multitude of colours. I do have a windblock one (not Decathlon) which I use for sailing with nothing on top, but never for skiing as it's too chunkyand I don't find it terribly comfortable.

My own solution to being cold is to add a layer - sometimes a merino base layer, then a middle weight fleece, then a fleece gilet, then my (warm) jacket - that does the trick and is still pretty comfortable. I've sometimes looked at the fancy price fleeces and wondered whether they would be more effective than my Decathlon ones but have never been convinced. Is there a big difference?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tiffin wrote:

What weight fleece is recommended for someone who doesn't get too cold and has a goretex shell and will be wearing thermals as a base?

Probably 200, depending on exact base layer and skiing conditions may be less or may be more.

Some of the ones with waffle-iron sculpting or channels on the inside surface might work really well for you because they can transport a lot of vapour to wherever it can actually leave the shell.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
the fleece business confuses me too - given that they range from about £9.99 to £999.99. There are obvious styling and weight differences - but lightweight ones come in all prices, as do heavyweight ones.

It's really easy to make a cheap fleece in any weight one likes: use fabric technology from the early 90s, pay no licence fees, and have it made in China, India, Cambodia or Vietnam.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Confused Confused this is deffinately NOT a windbloc fleece, as stated on the web link and my own experience Toofy Grin they are very warm though and easy to layer. well worth their cost Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It's really easy to make a cheap fleece in any weight one likes: use fabric technology from the early 90s, pay no licence fees, and have it made in China, India, Cambodia or Vietnam.

so are the expensive ones heaps better?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

so are the expensive ones heaps better

Dunno which ones you're looking at <shrug>.

I /can/ tell you that premium fleece products from 10 years ago (1998 Patagonia Regulator frex) can beat a large range of cheap fleece products made last year,

for durability, for light warmth, for vapour transport, for fit, for easy motion, and even for stink control. No pilling and the zippers still work.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, agreed. pam w, I have a bundle of Decathlon 200 weight fleeces, which are generally great and amazing value - but they don't breathe as well as my Patagonia R2s. And the zips/elastic don't last nearly as well. I have a Patagucci R2 I bought in 2000 that's still fine.

Although for breathability and warmth nothing beats my MH Monkeyman (it's probably 300 weight in warmth, although not in actual weight).

That said, Decathlon have re-released their mid weight underwear (which sold out globally my mid March last year) and I've just bought another 4 tops. Really, really work for me.
snow conditions
The Lands' End catalogue turned up on my doormat yesterday and they have lots of different sorts of fleeces - might be worth a look here.
snow conditions
I have several North Face TKA 100 type fleece tops.

They make a great Mid layer and casual top.

Cost anything from £25 to £40
snow report
what about a montain or buffalo jacket with a pertex outer. get one for <£80 in climbing shops.

cheers
b ob
latest report
Bones wrote:
Quote:

Confused Confused this is deffinately NOT a windbloc fleece, as stated on the web link and my own experience Toofy Grin they are very warm though and easy to layer. well worth their cost Cool

Embarassed Looks like you're right - I picked up the info from a German website where it was tested and then just did a quick search for low cost retailers on UK websites. Looks like the german site had an error. It's a Powerstretch 300er fleece isn't it? - might be a bit warm for some.

A thinner fleece option for layering would something like a "Pro Ski Ladies Rolli Undershirt" which retails for around €40.

http://www.northland-pro.com/home/Produkte/Bekleidung_Damen/Fleece/Fleece_/ProSkiLadiesRolliUndershirt.en.php?change_language=English&id=

„Baselayer-Fleece hält mit extremem Saugeffekt Haut beim Schwitzen trocken; Ärmel eng, Tasche fehlt.“ Rough translation= Base layer fleece, absorbs a lot of sweat and stays dry, arms are tight, no pockets.
latest report
Cheers for the info... Very Happy
snow report
DB, could you please link to the German site where they tested fleeces.
latest report
snowman wrote:
DB, could you please link to the German site where they tested fleeces.

The monkey man came top in a couple of tests, to see the full detailed review you have to buy the magazine(s) where it was tested but one can normally get a good idea of what's good or not from the brief overview and rating of multiple tests

http://www.testberichte.de/test/produkt_tests_mountain_hardwear_monkey_man_p45087.html

click on "14 or 9 Produckte im test" to see what they were tested against. The better products are generally tipped for specific purpose/type (eg warmth, active; weight etc).

If you need any clarification/translation let me know.

Here's a list of some other fleeces that were tested (the lower the rating the better the product 1.0 = outstanding 5.0 = Poor, bad or not fit for purpose.

http://www.testberichte.de/f/0/1932/186793/1.html

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-11-09 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I guess it depends what you want it for?

I have some thin 100 weight fleeces I use for layering, never needed to wear more than one even under a shell
I have a windstopper fleece jackets (actually 2) I use as outer layers in the UK, travelling to resort
ski holidays
DB, thanks, I was hoping that you would link to something from Stiftung Warentest as they are quite good at testing stuff.
I did a quick search myself and could only find some 2004 Oekotest review here:

http://www.oekotest.de/cgi/index.cgi?artnr=30909;bernr=10;seite=00;co=

Basically, they are saying that many fleeces are heavily loaded with all sorts of chemicals (and even heavy metals).

I guess it's probably best not to wear them next to one's skin.
ski holidays
(replaced).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-11-09 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
On the debate about windproof fleeces. I got one thinking it would be ideal. Sadly I found it too hot for much activity in the UK (although it's good for standing around it). These days I prefer to get a "normal" fleece and when need add a windproof of either a waterproof shell or a "windshirt". The windshirt I find great because it weighs almost nothing, doesn't take up much space, more breathable than a waterproof.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy