Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for some advice on Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
I've just organised an early season trip to Tignes at the beginning of December (v. exciting!). Having never been to this area before, there are one or two things I wanted to check-out:

Lift-passes:
I know there is a choice of a Tignes-only pass, or an Espace Killy Pass. Normally I'd go for the full-area option - however, I've signed-up for a weeks worth of tuition, which will mean we're in lessons each morning. So do you think (with only afternoons to ourselves) there's enough time for us to make use of the entire area, or is the Tignes pass enough?

Eating-out:
Are there any top-tips for where to head for lunch the mountain?

Also, any recommendations for restaurants in the town?

And lastly ....
I know it might be a little early to tell - but on average, how much of the ski-area would one expect to be open at the beginning of December?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, take a look at this thread, someone says the Espace opens at the end of November. you could look at the Espace website I s'pose. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1365051#1365051
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which part of Tignes are you staying,?

If you are in Le Lac I suggest eating lunch down near the Spa. There is a nice Patisserie that does hot and cold
snacks and drinks at a good price. As you would imagine Eating or drinking on the mountain is expensive.
We avoided it apart from one beer on a lovely sunny day. It was 7 euros a pint!

If you are only let loose in the afternoons just get the Tignes pass. There is more then enough there to see you through a week.

Ensure you go up the Funicular and Cable to the top of the Grand Motte (you can come down both and dont have to ski it) There is a large resaurant with terrace near the glacier and the skiing from the top will be good early Dedcember.

Enjoy Tignes, have a good look here using the search bar at the top. Loads of info there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All but one week of my (6-7 week) skiing experience is based in Tignes, so I can answer a couple of these. Happy

Yes, you can buy either a Tignes only pass or one for the whole Espace Killy. I have never been quite so early in the season but assuming most if not all the runs are open there is plenty to do in Tignes only. IMO Tignes has much better skiing than Val D'Isere anyway. I suppose so early in the season the runs down to Brevieres may be dodgy but even without there there is plenty to occupy you. If you simply can't leave without having skied Face in Val D'Isere you can always get a one-day extension.

Mountain restaurants will cost the proverbial bras et un jambe but the one by the Grattalu lift comes well-recommended. In Tignes Le lac the Restaurant La Place which is off to right of the Pallafour lift as you look up is very good for lunch. You will see quite a lot of pisteurs in there which is usually a good sign. For the evenings The Bagus in Tignes Le Lac and the Pignata in Val Claret are both very good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check if the lessons require an Espace Killy pass. My ESF lessons last year required Espace Killy for class 2, not sure about class 1. We went to Val d'Isere every day, although when skiing with friends I spent more time on the Tignes side, as I preferred the skiing there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's an extra €20 for full EK versus Tignes only, so seems sensible to get the full pass

http://www.tignes.net/en/ski-a-tignes/winter-season-2009-2010-188.html

Provided you are a confident blue skier (i.e. not too slow), you can easily get over to the far side of Val d'Isere and back in an afternoon. (Get back to the Olympique or Funival by about 3.30, which should provide plenty of time to upload and ski down to Tommeuses or Borsat Express which will get you back over to Tignes.)

http://www.valdisere.com/images09/plan/plandesp_petit.jpg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can't go to tignes without a pint or two and maybe a bite to eat in the Alpaka Lodge snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lunch - try the Brasero, at the end of the green run into Lavachet, and the Loop or Tignes Cuisine, opposite side of road to the nursery chairlift in le Lac.
Avoid the expense of the on mountain restaurants.
Evening drinkies (some do evening food, too)?
Lavachet - TC's & Brasero
le Lac - Loop, Alpaka, Jam
Val Claret - Couloir
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for lunch at the Loop. Homemade burgers, soup etc and a nice view of week one skiers wondering if they could make it down Trolles without losing a limb.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avoid Grizzly’s Bar in Cal Claret. Stupidly expensive Evil or Very Mad

Although it is very nice inside.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is all great stuff. Thanks guys!

Assuming the link with Val D'Isere is open when I get there (I assume there's a minimum amount of snow required to get between areas?) - I think I'll probably go for the full area pass .... I didn't realise it was only another 20-Euros.

Thanks for all the food options. I'll definitely make sure I print a copy of this thread and take it with me!

Any further suggestions, or indeed top-tips / general advice about Tignes, will be gladly accepted!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey abj

pop in when you arrive and i can help, not everything open but can point you in the right directions, no problem

Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alpaka Lodge, Thanks. I'm actually taking my lessons with TDC - aren't they based at your hotel? If they are, I'll make sure I say hi!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj

You haven't told us which bit of Tignes you'll be in......

For great value and good food in Val Claret try Le Petit Savoyarde. It's in the 'town centre' bit of Val C and does 3 courses for a bargain (for Tignes) 16 or 17 euros. Excellent pizzas too.

On the link to Val D'Isere front: make sure you get across to the outer reaches of the lift system above Le Fornet - best snow of the Val D area and great skiing too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is there a Spar type shop in Val Claret? I'm having lessons and last year we always met at lunchtime in the cafe at the bottom of Les Lanches lift in Val Claret. Will probably do the same this year but I would like to save some money by not eating there. I know there is a Spar in Le Lac, is there one in Val Claret or somewhere similar to grab a quick snack?
latest report
there's a little spar type thing down the front of Val C near the hotel diva - looking up towards the stade. should be able to pick up a bite there.

(edit: that should have been diva - not dive - it's quite nice actually and not at all a dive)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-11-09 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
For lunch try the Spar (supermarket cafe) in Le Lac, Aspen Cafe in Val Claret near the bus turnaround and actually on the mountain the best value is the Marmottes restaurant near the bottom of the Marmottes lift in the valley between Tignes and Val. This place is cheap for chips and coffee, what else do you need for lunch?

For the evenings some of my favourites are L'Armoise in Val Claret for a cheap 3 course meal, Bagus (Le Lac) for great food, Brasero (Lavachet) also for great food. I also like a lot of the places already listed including TC's, Loop, Lavachet Lounge, Couloir.

Can't wait to get back there in 2 weeks!

Richard
ski holidays
mountainaddict, sorry ... forgot to mention that bit ... I'm staying in Le Lac.
snow report
abj

Cheers!

The recommended 3 course specials at Le Petit Savoyarde and L'Armoise (which I almost forgot about - cheers snowstar!) - both at Val Claret - are definitely worth the bus ride from Le Lac.

The bus is free and runs every 10 mins or so. Only 5 mins from Le Lac to Val Claret - then a couple of mins walk from the Val C bus stop to the centre of town. Get off at the big outdoor car park - ie first stop after the roundabout on the edge of Val Claret. First left after the posh chalet type hotel (with very cosy/atmospheric bar and nice restaurant) and up in the pedestrian ascenseur/lift to the centre.

At Le Lac, La Ferme restaurant gets rave reviews - but was full when we turned up without booking (on Mrs MA's birthday.... Sad ). It's very rustic inside and looks excellent for a special occasion.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy