Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick help needed due to flight cancellation - Munich to where for Christmas/NY?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per a previous post, my family's flights to Grenoble for 19 Dec - 2 Jan were cancelled. Replacement flights (to Lyon) are more expensive and require additional accommodation days at either end.

I found however some reasonable flights for the right period to Munich.

Can anyone (in particular sH who may have availability in that period!) comment on what would be a good Austrian destination from Munich? Public transport required, preferred under 3 hrs.

I need to decide quickly as flight prices keep going up...and accommodation is disappearing, if not already snapped up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Skiwelt (Kitzbuhel, Hopftgarten, Soll, Westendorf etc area as long as there is decent snow, as it is fairly low lying, is a an area that I like (I am prejudiced though as I learnt to ski here)
Easy to get to by train from Munich with a couple of changes. Around 2 to 2/12 hours travel from memory.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Munich Airport to Zillertal by train takes about 3hrs with two changes (Munich East and Jenbach). Train times on www.oebb.at
Search for accommodation on www.zillertal.at
Zillertal has lots of variety regarding villages, ski areas etc. If you can give more information about what kind of skiing you're looking for, nightlife, big town v's small village etc. I could probably give you some pointers for places to stay in Zillertal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon,

Have you tried getting other flights to Grenoble.

YSE charter their own plane from LGW - Grenoble on Sunday mornings. They may sell you a flight if they have availability.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, Both of the above options as well as the Ski Amade linked area will give you more skiing than you can manage in two weeks. All of them are easily reached by train from Munich albeit you will have to change from the Munich S-bahn which runs from the airport at either Munich Ost (east) or Munich Hauptbahnhof (central) to get on to the mainline trains. You will probably also have another change at either Jenbach as above, Woergl for the Ski Welt or Salzburg for the Ski Amade.

The only direct train I know of runs on a Saturday only (which appears to suit you) and is a ski special train known as the Grossglockner which goes from either of the Munich stations through Woergl and then stops at most of the Ski Welt towns as well as Kitzbuehel and St Johann in Tirol and terminates at Zell Am See. It leaves Munich about 2pm and leaves Zell on the return at 9am and takes just under three hours. If this suits you I would certainly recommend it in view of the minimised hassle of changing with skis and luggage.

As far as resorts are concerned take your pick, the big linked areas are great. You mention family. Are they all skiers/boarders? If not I would maybe go for Kitzbuehel or Zell am See as being the best for non skiers in terms of other things to do as both are all year round holiday resorts. If you google 'Kitzbueheler Alpen All Star Card' you will see that it gives access to both resorts as well as Saalbach Hinterglemm and several others.

If you're all on the snow then I'm sure some snowHead will be along soon with accomodation offers? Over to you Flangesax wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
welshflyer, I think the family are travelling from Romania, so flights from Gatwick won't do the job unfortunatley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone. I might end up getting some indirect flights to Lyon after all so they don't end up changing resorts. Grenoble is out - no flights from Romania. Geneva is also a possibility but public transport to Alpe d'Huez (the original destination) takes a long time. I have a lot of choices but none of them very handy - late arrivals, day before flights etc. Oh, or I can pay double for the tickets...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy