Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Choice - Backcountry

Poster: A snowHead
Need a bit of help picking some boots out, as I've got narrow and small feet. I have some old Lange's which are stamped with a US 7 and were fitted and ground out by a top bloke in Val D'Isere a few years back. Recently got some Scarpa Denali's but they are slightly too big and not stiff enough so I'll save these for multi-day tours. Question is what about some new boots: BD Factors and Garmonts I've looked at, but it depends on fit. I've also looked at some Lange Banshees, there's no walk mode but they do have Vibram soles. Any advice would be most grateful inc ski shops relatively local to Gloucestershire. I'll be using these for general off-piste, mainly lift assisted. Ta...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maccaIJ, welcome to snowHead
Can't help with your question though Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i doubt you'll find much in the UK really, a few shops up north i think, but round glocs, nothing really. I'm from herefordshire and got my boots in france.

i've got terribly wide feet and go my Scarpa Spirit 4's with heat moulded intuition liners which are soooo comfy. but my mate has thin feet and the same boots which he likes too.

now i can't remember which are better for which kind of feet, garmonts or scarpa's. I tried lots of boots on in Au vieux campeur in Albertville.

if you are doing mostly lift assisted, then will normal downhill boots do?
i'll find out what my brother has just bough, something all round i think, he was looking at some park boots too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maccaIJ, welcome to Very Happy

Lockwoods at Leamington Spa...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been using Garmont Mega Ride G-Fit for three or four winters now, making somewhere between 12 and 16 weeks skiing. They are great boots, comfortable, light and with a walk mode. I find skiing with them in walk mode is tricky, I fell over backwards on my first attempt. They also felt a bit floppy for the first couple of black runs. Now I am used to them and am happy to ski them on and off piste. I cannot compare them to other touring boots as these Garmonts are the only ones I have used.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Ellis Brigham are caliming to have an AT centre of excellence at Kensington - certainly they've got the new and rare Salomon Quest in their catalogue. Otherwise telemark pyrennees or Braemar Mountain Sports are good bets (except for bootfitting for obvious geographical reasons!!!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
certainly they've got the new and rare Salomon Quest in their catalogue.

do you know anything about this boot,
i'm interested as in the catalogue they quote as guide saying its good for long tours but also stiff enough for the downs.

i'll be the first to admit, i wouldn't use my scarpa spirit 4's for a week of piste skiing. but i've never heard a good thing about these inbetween boots by the likes of Black Diamond, Garmont, Scarpa. mostly too stiff, and all the ones i've seen are as heavy at downhill boots.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliC, Where are you going to use the boots?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maccaIJ,

The Lange Banshees are probably best for sidecountry stuff - lift served with a minimal amount of booting up or skining (less than 1hr). I'd expect these to be the closest match in downhide performance to your existing boots. Would be great on-piste too. Long tours would be a pain as they have no walk mode and probably heavier than a touring boot.

The other offerings from Black Diamond, Garmont, Scarpa. dynafit etc are getting better all the time. Lange are know for a narrow fit (although this is very much model dependent) and Garmont used to have the lowest volume fit (not sure if this is still the case) worth trying boots by black diamond and dynafit too.

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/categories.php?cat=15

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_48_242_309
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^ on a similar vein to the Banshees, these would be a bargain if they have your size:

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=74109501

proper alpine boot with the option to add vibram soles. 98mm last so nice and close fitting but pretty good to work with (my forefoot is much wider than that but a bit of judicious punching has worked very well)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
OliC, Where are you going to use the boots?

oh i don't intend getting a pair. i'm just curious is the guides hype is really true or not.

i'm happy at the moment with a touring boot and a downhill boot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also up here we have mountainspirit who stock Scarpa, Crispi and Dynafit

http://mountainspirit.co.uk/shop/productresults.asp?referer=skimountain&subCategoryId=127&subCategoryTitle=Boots%20-%20Ski%20Mtn
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OliC, It's where all the evolution in Ski boot technology is at the moment, some big strides being made, however due to the walk mode destroying rebound these things will never quite work (pop) like a real Freride boot like the Banshee, Jah Love, Nuke etc...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i'm a mountain biker really, and the big thing for the past few years has been 6" travel full suspension, do everything style bikes. if you spend 5k you'll get something lovely and light. i'm sure the 2010 bikes are great, but at the end of the day for a long ride in the saddle i'd want my 4" full susser, and then for big alpine style descents something closer to a gnarly downhill/freeride bike.

the companies have pushed carbon frame technology, pedal efficient suspension designs and light but tough components and it definitely benefits the mountain bike scene as whole. like ski boot technology, it will all trickle down to all sectors. It will advance manufacturing techniques and material properties, as well as progression for joe bloggs the skiier.

its just I believe they are all a compromise. there is no one single great ski, no one single great bike. however, if this salmon boot is all its cracked up to be when i come to replace my spirit 4's in however long i may consider them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Salomon, HYPE? Never!!!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info. As I have the touring boots, these new ones will be for lift assisted off-piste and the occassional 30-40 min skin. Gonna add these to some new Mantras Very Happy
Guess a normal boot will suffice with a vibram sole. Will try Lockwoods after my last experience of boot fitting in the UK, into what can best be described as a set of wellies wink
snow report
maccaIJ, have you seen those alpine boots with vibram soles "in the flesh"? I'm not so sure it'd make much difference - but I haven't tried them out.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, the vibram on my Shamans is quite good for scrambling on rocks or kicking steps in snow. certainly better than standard DIN soles

walking for a long time in them isn't great because they are pretty stiff and there is no walk mode. also you can't roll your ankles for better grip on slopes in the same way you can with touring boots

in all, the vibram is nice to have all other things being equal but wouldn't be enough for me to compromise on the fit
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy