Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens to Courchevel (and back)... how long???

Poster: A snowHead
Just after some guidelines really for my trip to VT in Jan.
How long would it take, at a moderate pace, to get from VT to Courchevel in a morning?
Any suggested routes? I'll be skiing with two novice / intermediates, so blue / easier reds, then progressing onto harder reds later in week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aldoyle, I am sure people will have ideas on best routes but in terms of timings if you catch first lift out of VT you could be in 1850 by 10.30. Take Plein sud out of village then take chair up to the top. Ski Lac de Chambres and then you can head down to Motarret. Take Saulire bubble up from Motarret and you can ski either into 1850 or head off to 1650. Oh and later in week take the Mont de Vallon and do this red from top - it is great!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The most obvious route is down lac de la chambre to mottaret and it is a really good red if a little flat at the end. However do not continue following it past the mont de vallon cable car as it is the most flat boring tiring route long piste in the meribel after this. Instead take the the plain des mains chair up above mottaret and take the nice blue down into it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah the famous ours piste.

I TOTALLY AGREE.

Ourse is indeed a pain in the ours.

Andy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aldoyle, with 2 novice skiers I would go via Les Menuires. Get lifts from Val Thorens to the Mont de la Chambre summit. Take the blue of the same name right into Les Menuires centre, take Roc de 3 Marche 1 gondola and then ski to the Roc de 3 Marche 2 chair. From the top ski down the fabulous Grand lac and then Pelozet to the St MArtin 2 chair and get the chair up to Tougnette summit and then bl;ue down into Mottaret.

Pelozet is a bit dull but the other 2 runs are fantastic for novice skiers IMHO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, going that way, does it still give us plenty of time over in courchevel (to get back) ???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aldoyle, Allow all day with that group.. From Courchevel 1850 you have 2 ridges to get back over, of course.
I'd be thinking about leaving the Courchevel domain around 1330...but it all depends how quickly you can cover the ground.
The uplifts are your only constant, any queues not withstanding.

It could well be that your group will take all morning to get there...a short break and then all afternoon to get back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes

Route back for me would be salure cable car, ski down to motteret (lovely long run) lower blue can be a bit Icy at times)

Then Combes, chatelet and finally Cote Brun.

Could take plattier to G2 but I always find that there are queues there and prefer to take the chairs (I hate taking my skis off).

There are other routes but this is my favourite.

From 1850 should take about 1.5h-2h to get back to VT depending on speed of skiers.

One more thing once you leave cote Brun take the blue pleuviometer and not the black.

Andy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aldoyle, oh yes. I reckon it adds 30 minutes at most. When coming back, get the gondola down from Saulire to Mottaret if tired. Leave the top of Saulire by 3pm to be safe.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anderoo, that said. If the group has had a good day and is feeling fresh then there is no better way to finish down the Goitschel black (keep to the right and a loop takes out the steepest bit) as it is a very easy black and then at the bottom of the black it will be beer o'clock in snowHeads favourite mountain bar Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That route via Roc de 3 Marches suggested by Frosty the Snowman sounds like it would be good. The last two years it was also signposted "route du soleil to Meribel", so was nice and easy navigating.

When your're heading out of Meribel into Courchevel, if you have novices or timid intermediattes you want to go up the Loze chair over Col de La Loze, and not up Pas du Lac 2 or Saulire 2 to the top of Saulire, since The Saulire only has reds and blacks down to Courchevel, the top of which are pretty steep.

Timing wise with early intermediates I would say it will take you all day there and back with a stop for lunch in Courchevel. Worth pointint out I've found it takes longer getting from Courchevel to VT than it does to get from VT to Courchevel - which makes sense as Courchevel is lower, so you have more altitude to gain and therefore more time on the lifts.

I did a solo day trip last year (so no faffing with the usual group stuff of tightening boots, toilet stops, debating where to go etc) but the other way round from Courchevel to VT/Orelle. I caught first lift from Courchevel 1550, headed into Meribel Mottaret over Saulire, up Platieres 1, 2 and 3, and over into VT, and then finally up and over the back of VT and down into Orelle. Up the glacier in Orelle (on those two damn slow chairs peyron and bouchette) and back down to the restaraunt in Orelle above the 3v express for lunch around 12.30. After a good hour for lunch I pretty much had to start heading back. That said I did get back to Courchevel about an hour or so of lift time remaining and I had to faff at VT as one of the lifts I'd planned using was closed.

I'd have been quicker if I'd not made the mistak of going the dreaded "ours" route mentioned by rambotion and anderoo - truly horrendous especially as I was on a board, so I agree with their good advice to avoid ! I am sure locals or people who ski/board more than twice a year (ie. fitter people than me!) would do it much quicker, but I think it will be a long day for novices/early intermediattes I was pretty knackered at the end of the day. I think you should plan on the return journey being a full day and take a few checks en-route to see how your progressing to make sure you leave time to return.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, I agree but seem to remember that the OP said he had blue is run skiers and it would be the last run of the day. All depende on how they feel.

Andy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Goitschel black is South facing and usually heavilly mogulled by the end of the day. Also keep in mind that your novices will probably get pretty tired by the end of the day so leave plenty of time to get back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Head up to the Glacier chair in VT, strike off across the glacier, and a bit of a climb (usually some pigeon hole steps already kicked in), then bundle down to Meribel allong the glacier, take the gondola, bear hard left at the ridge line and head straight down the grand couloir and start screaming and waving madly " I can't stop ahahahhagghhhh" to get past the 1850 Guchi hand bag waivers. Could be done in an hour and half I think and you will have blown off those novice skiers too Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If they're OK with reds, then from Mont de la Chambre, red Venturon is a delight; up the Plan des Mains (to avoid the ghastly Ours), down into Mottaret. Up the Pas du Lac to Saulire, down the red Saulire (falling off the edge of the world to go down it is v. exciting, other than that heart-stopping moment it's quite kind) and then down any of the nice cruise-y blues into Courcheval.

Instead of going down Saulire, go down Creux, up the Creux chair and then into Courcheval.

Don't forget to go down Folyeres into La Tania, and also Moretta Blanche.

From Col de La Loze, avoid the ghastly Pic Noir - although it claims to be blue, my experience was horrid; unpisted and moguly, icy, steep and horrid.

(A big thumbs up for anything between the Meribel/St Martin ridge and St Martin if you do traverse that ridge from VT. In the afternoon it gets crowded as it's lovely and sunny.)
latest report
A few years back we went from Courchevel to VT for a lesson. We left casually at around 10:30 and struggled to get to the lesson by 13:00. We got lost a bit; but also it was a lot further than we'd anticipated. Coming back seemed quicker but then we were on a lesson and I'd estimate it was a couple of hours give or take. The issue in my opinion is taking the wrong lift or the wrong piste or indeed lifts stopping for ages. Novices will possibly make things slower too. But it's all relative. I like to look at the scenery so don't always want to ski at 100 miles an hour. I would certainly be sure of the route you're taking before setting off!!
snow report
in garbure we trust wrote:
Head up to the Glacier chair in VT, strike off across the glacier, and a bit of a climb (usually some pigeon hole steps already kicked in), then bundle down to Meribel allong the glacier, take the gondola, bear hard left at the ridge line and head straight down the grand couloir and start screaming and waving madly " I can't stop ahahahhagghhhh" to get past the 1850 Guchi hand bag waivers. Could be done in an hour and half I think and you will have blown off those novice skiers too Laughing

He will need to hike up from the gondola to get to the Grand Couloir me thinks, this would add time so perhaps straight down the Combe de Saulire - screaming and waiving madly of course - there will be a new snow park beside the Verdons, so take the twin tips.
snow conditions
There is no hike to the grand couloir in fact it is all down hill.

There is a very nasty "cat track which has horrid moguls (the size of small cars) on it and steep drop offs at either side.

Only ski it after a decent snowfall.

Andy
snow conditions
anderoo wrote:
There is no hike to the grand couloir in fact it is all down hill.

There is a very nasty "cat track which has horrid moguls (the size of small cars) on it and steep drop offs at either side.

Only ski it after a decent snowfall.

Andy

From the top of the gondola out of Meribel?
snow conditions
A few updates on this...

There is a small hike up to the Grand Couloir path from the Meribel side.

The Ours piste from Mt Vallon area to Mottaret has been re-shaped / improved and with good snow (and wax) does not require polling anymore. A small walk up to get to the piste but does offer an alternative if there's a queue for the 6-seater Plan Des Mains chair.

The Pic Noir has also been re-shaped in the last couple of years but can be a difficult blue in poor conditions.

New Hi-Speed detachable lift is now in place in Orelle to get out of the 4th Valley quicker.

But what I really want to know is: If heading down Creux and wanting to return to 1850, you eventually get to the Aguille du Fruit (Hi Speed Detachable) and Gravelles (slow chair) lifts - this is where the link to 1650 is, there's a new lift to get over there too. The Hi Speed is twice the length, but the slow Gravelles still gets you high enough to get back to 1850 - although you'll ski further, is the Hi-Speed option the fastest way back to 1850?

Looking to save precious seconds on the Escapade in a Day route:
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm
snow conditions
sideslip1, Sorry should read your post more carefully thought you were takling about access from the Salure Cable car (which wouldbe silly as you would already be in courchevel Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Going down creux you can cut accross before the Creux noir chair and take the boulevalrd back to the top of Gravelles and then ski into 1850. The other option is as you mentioned slower but it is worth it as skiing Creux from top to bottom is a real pleasure and back up by Aquille dde Fruit.

Re Ours I have heard all the stories about the "reshaping" but have never ventured down it as I can't see what they can do to this piste to make it much steeper as it ends on a flat track. THat said you have skiied it and I haven't so I will bow to your experience.

Pic Noir totally agree can be horrid in bad conditions and should have kept its red status. Also always the first run to close in that part. Making it a blue implies it is of similar challenge to the Boulevard, which it patently isn't

Andy
snow report
sideslip1 wrote:
there will be a new snow park beside the Verdons, so take the twin tips.

What/where are they putting in this park ?

I hope they aren't going to put it over that long field of natural rollers, to the right of the piste under the verdons gondola on the way down to the bottom of the biollay chair. They are the one redeeming feature of having to go down verdons..
latest report
...Speaking of courchevel just saw this posted on www.latania.co.uk.

Freshies down from the top of Saulire yesterday. It's not coombe Saulire though. Looks like it could be Suisses to me.

How jealous am I ?

More than two months till my first visit....
latest report
in garbure we trust wrote:

Unless you have snowshoes that keep falling off. That way you get to Meribel as the lifts shut.
snow report
Gazzza, Is that not Epaule vizelle. Assuming the pylons in the picture are the Vizelle gondola. In fact it must be cos the suisse chairs would still have the chairs on it.

Andy
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:

I hope they aren't going to put it over that long field of natural rollers, to the right of the piste under the verdons gondola on the way down to the bottom of the biollay chair. They are the one redeeming feature of having to go down verdons..

Sorry Gazzza, according to toffa's site that does appear to be the case.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-11-09 19:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
anderoo wrote:
Gazzza, Is that not Epaule vizelle. Assuming the pylons in the picture are the Vizelle gondola. In fact it must be cos the suisse chairs would still have the chairs on it.

Andy

Hmm guess it could be. I have it in my head that though the Vizelle gondola doesn't flatten as much as that at the top, maybe just bad memory.

Looking at the pic that piste seems to come straight under the lift so I it could be Epaule Vizelle, but as the the lift seems to run along a ridge I thought it looked like the Marmotte chair, which is a detachable, hence my thinking of Suisses.

Either way, wish i were there and not at my desk !

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 12-11-09 12:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
sideslip1 wrote:
[quote="Gazzza

Sorry Gazzza, according to toffa's site that does appear to be the case.[/quote]

B*mm*r I always really enjoy playing there Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Posted on www.latania.co.uk facebook group - that photo is Combe Pylones the black run that cuts in to the Saulire Bowl on the left (as you look up to Saulire). It is the Vizelle Gondola Pylons in the background.
ski holidays
Sweet snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy