Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with peaks - a style question...

Poster: A snowHead
I've been reading all the debates about helmets and definitely don't want to start a new one - so this is just a question about style and er... vanity rolling eyes I went with my daughter to Snow and Rock yesterday and tried on a few helmets, and she suggested I look less of a dork in the ones with peaks. So... does anyone know if the peaks offer any purpose other than just being a different style, and is it a style aimed perhaps at boarders or the park or something?? I've seen some on eBay here which seem quite cheap and might be worth a try...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil Short_trousers the peaks can help to keep bright sunlight out of your eyes as well. I don't wear a helmet ( I know, I know Embarassed ) but my ski buddies that do all have visors and they tell me that they're the coolest cats around wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I may be wrong, but I've always imagined that if you fall wrong in a helmet with a peak then the peak could dig in and keep your head stationary whilst the rest of your body continues onwards.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
glowman, that's more of a problem with jaw guards.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say the main benefit is they look less dorky like mountain bike helmets introduced peaks some years ago to distinguish users from their roadie cousins. Plus they probably add £20 to RRP for a piece of plastic costing say 20 cents so are great from a manufacturer perspective.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
a style statement only IMO

not that there's anything wrong with that
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, completely disagree. They look like someone couldn't brsed to buy a proper snow helmet and dug a baseball batter's helmet out of a rummage sale instead.

frex:

Batter UP! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, Ah a flaw in my advice - I'd wrongly assumed by peak the OP was referring to a visor. Those with moulded peaks do of course look dorky,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, wink I think I might be forced to reconsider also.

After all, with a bit of silver paint and a wire face guard, one can wear the above next Halloween as a Cromwell-era dragoon?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They make you look like you should be on a sled/mx bike
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They remind me of the sort of motorcycle helmet which middle aged ladies used to wear to go shopping on their Honda 90s (all topics on which I am something of an expert. wink ) They were always white.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the peak helps stop the top of your goggles filling up with snow when its dumping, but you look like a gimp in it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would have thought the peak would be quite dangerous in a face plant type fall. It could cause significant twisting force on the neck if it catches in teh snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting to see the negative views on them. The one I'm looking at has less of a peak than comprex's 'baseball hat' picture, which agreed does look dorky.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Basil Short_trousers, i think it would take a freak accident for a peak like that to be an issue

the problem you will have is putting your goggles up on your helmet when you don't want them covering your eyes
ski holidays
Arno, nah..wear specs... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing wink
ski holidays
In the event of a collision with another person a rigid peak will do a lot more damage to them than a flat area (much greater pressure). Very unlikely, but why risk it?

Personally, I would have thought the wind resistance from the peak would be enough to put me off one of these. It would pull the helmet up, wouldn't it?
snow conditions
Had one, was a pain in the ass when i wanted to slide my goggles up off my face.
Couldn't just rest it on the front of my helmet like one without a visor.
Ended up selling it and getting a regular no peak helmet, much better!!
Very Happy
snow conditions
Personally I'm not a fan of peaks. Plus all the helmets I tried on with peaks didn't fit once I put my goggles on, the peak tended to push the goggles down/helmet up.
snow report
I wear a Bern helmet. It's called 'Baker', and it's certainly warm. It has a little peak thing. I've never particularly considered the merits or otherwise of this so, because of this thread, I took a look at the company website where it states:

" .... the Baker has captured the attention of all serious action sports athletes. The world's first functional visor lid."

What it doesn't tell me, however, is what that funtionality might be rolling eyes

Obviously, I look incredibly cool in it ... goes without saying!
ski holidays
zammo, Got to be better than your stinky hippy hat wink
snow report
fatbob, heh! I'm off to make some felt trousers out of organic Alpaca wool. When I've done that, I will carve myself a new helmet out of driftwood.
snow report
I have a Sweet Trooper, keeps the sun out nicely and makes me look like a badass.

As for taking a fall and the peak sticking into the snow, the peak is designed to snap off.

I have snapped the peak off several times on my Sweet Rocker, the Kayak version, with no problems other than having to get a new peak.

Couldn't recommend Sweet helmets more, they are the shizniz.
ski holidays
zammo wrote:

What it doesn't tell me, however, is what that funtionality might be rolling eyes

It does hide gaper gap. wink
ski holidays
You're missing the point. You're daughter told you you look better in the peaked version, so you look better in the peaked version, whether you believe it to be true or not.
latest report
Quote:

It would pull the helmet up, wouldn't it?

or, if you were looking down a bit, push it down. As you switched from up to down (or down to up) your neck would get a little jerk. Then you'd be matching. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
el nombre wrote:
You're missing the point. You're daughter told you you look better in the peaked version, so she can pay for her own blasted ski holiday

Fixed. Toofy Grin
snow report
you lot are like in the stoneage, the peak should be at the back

word
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry, You're wrong:

snow report
I had a visor but it made my helmet ride up when i was going fast and was really annoying because it stops you sliding your gogs onto your helmet.
When you fly into a tree it hits first, thus saving your nose. They do snap though...
snow conditions
If the wind can force your helmet to ride up, is the helmet prehaps too big?
snow report
Its just a helmet, to protect your head! Where one that YOU like wink
snow report
ollie_morrell wrote:
Where one that YOU like ;-)

That is the question, isn't it?
latest report
I like the peak ones, but the goggles issue does put me off. I've been thinking of getting one, added to the long list of new kit Confused

But as already said, as long as it fits properly, wear the one the you like! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy