Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season Canada - unplanned & last minute... thoughts and adivce

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I know most of you won't know me as I haven't posted that much - I was told off by Rob@Rar for this when I bumped into him in Les Arcs last year Happy However, I've read much of your advice of the last couple of years and now have a real situation to ask about. I beg your patience as this will probably be a reasonably lengthy post.

I recently left my job in a somewhat unscheduled manner Wink and now have the opportunity to ski the whole season which is something I've dreamt of since I started skiing. I'm now 30, so don't necessarily want the full-on party/chalet experience - in fact similar to Bertie Basset last year, I am not intending to work. I have already booked a 2 week ski holiday to Whistler for the second half of January (I've been there the last couple of years and love it) with a flexible company that should allow me to change my flight dates, and may possibly allow me to downsize the accommodation to leave my friends there and minimise the money that I would otherwise loose. With this in mind, I've been thinking of doing the season in Whistler. I have to get a job back here eventually, so I'm not too worried whether I go for the whole season or for a shorter stint, but will consider whatever makes the most sense. However, because of the last minute notice of my job departure, I realise I'm rather late to be organising this. As far as I can tell some possible options are:

1) Book accommodation for whole season & try and minimise loss of money from holiday. I've looked at something like http://www.seasonit.co.uk which claims to have availability. I would meet people through that. Would also probably book season lesson ticket as I've done camps such as Dave Murray and Extremely Canadian before and they are great fun, and would love to do them again and meet people through them. Disadvantages: cost of whole season, parents and girlfriend may miss me, quite indulgent!

2) Book an instructor course through something like nonstopski. Simple all-in package with all the organisation taken care of. Disadvantages: not as flexible, possibly older than others on this scheme, don't mind getting lvl 1 instructor qualification (would probably do this anyway), but not really my emphasis. btw - without opening up the debate of what constitutes an intermediate / advanced / expert, I'd probably be considered advanced intermediate by some, and low advanced by others Happy

3) Book accommodation for some of the season - maybe Jan - Mar. Get less value per month, but less total cost. Possibly harder to find accommodation than for the whole season, especially with the Olympics in Feb.

4) Loose the money on the holiday (which would be painful as it's rather indulgent) and go to a different resort. To be honest, I think I would prefer NA, but if everyone thinks that's idiotic would consider other things.... though of course like anything, I know everyone has different preferences with these things.

Sorry to short-cut the massive research normally associated with this that I know I should do, but things are getting quite last minute and people here are usually so generous with their knowledge and advice. I know natives is a great reference too. Basically my questions are:

a) Which of the above options do you think are worth considering.
b) If another resort, which & why.
c) Can you suggest any accommodation / companies that may have availability at this stage.
d) Any other advice.
e) Tell me honestly, whether I've gone bonkers and this is a ridiculous thing to be considering... I may have lost my marbles since I left my job, I've been speaking with lawyers most of the time!

Thanks so much for your time - I know there's such a wealth of knowledge here. As a benefit, after this I should be in a better position to offer advice to people!!

John

I am in no way associated with either companies above, they're just ones I've heard of through this website and others!

PS - Know I need to consult girlfriend (of 2-3 months history) - will do so tonight, hopefully armed with the wisdom found here Happy
PPS - I know that on a tourist visa I may well have to go out of the country, and back in.... can sort out that as required.
PPPS - I know that Whistler is more expensive that other resorts. Whilst I don't want to waste money that I don't need to, I suppose I can afford it (no mortgage, thank god). I guess cost is always an important thing to consider, but luckily is not the deciding factor.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler is likely to be a challenge for you at this notice mainly due to constratints over season accomodation in Olympic year. However if you have decent doumentation you can usually get 6 months stay in Canada I'll drop you a pm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure Whistler is the best idea. Watch the latest episode of Freeski TV http://www.salomonfreeski.com/caus/freeski-tv.aspx?ep=4

I think you might struggle to find reasonable accommodation due to the Olympics. Fair enough whistler is the Mecca for free ride but i think you would be better of in a smaller resort this year, Banff, Fernie or even Kicking Horse? Have you thought about America? Jackson Hole is similar to Whistler in terms of extremeness.

What ever you decide, get out there and get it done. You wont regret it! Have fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jcbaragorn, From what I've seen of the "learn to be an instructor" packages non-stop is more "career-break" orientated than any of the others - meaning you'll possibly by the youngest rather than the oldest.

If you were to do "international academy" in Banff then you would indeed be referred to as 'grandad'. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting dilemna.

Firstly you should take the opportunity to do the season no question.

Bearing in mind your already planned trip to Canada you could still keep this as organised but find somewhere else even in Europe for your base for the season? This is what we are doing. Season in France but a 3 week trip to Canada in the middle. It also breaks up the season and gives access to new experiences etc

Whistler is going to be expensive and finding accommodation during feb will be hard and the prices go up although it would be good to be around and take in the atmosphere.

Good luck whatever you decide and you will have a blast!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Additional thought - will travel insurance not pay out on occasion of redundancy etc?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jcbaragorn, why not book a short Level 1 instructor course which will serve to improve your skiing, give you an environment to meet loads of people for the season then have them arrange accommodation for the rest of your stay (which they can do )?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I don't think it does, no. Although I seem to recall some tour operators earlier in the year offering to refund people if they were made redundant, in order to secure the booking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra wrote:
jcbaragorn, From what I've seen of the "learn to be an instructor" packages non-stop is more "career-break" orientated than any of the others - meaning you'll possibly by the youngest rather than the oldest.

From what I've seen and heard from the Banff and Fernie courses, that's not true. I'm pretty sure all the season long courses are skewed massively towards gap year-ers - though I did see and meet a lot of older people (read as >20) doing their shorter programs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC wrote:
Alexandra wrote:

From what I've seen and heard from the Banff and Fernie courses, that's not true. I'm pretty sure all the season long courses are skewed massively towards gap year-ers - though I did see and meet a lot of older people (read as >20) doing their shorter programs.

I was in Fernie the first winter they were there and would describe their age make up as mixed but still <30. i think they've tried to diversify their business model by offering more "development courses" targeted at an older demographic but I'd still be prepared for staying in a noisy lodge with partying kids.

The other thing that struck me is that the population on these courses is large and you have a ready made social life because of it, a major drawback is that you never meet anyone else because you're always in your gang and other people avoid you like the plague. That would be fine if the gang is people you want to be with but could be a major bummer otherwise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jcbaragorn, 2bed condo in the village CAD€29500 for the whole season (November to May)...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I need to consult girlfriend (of 2-3 months history)

from a female point of view.... if I had new boyfriend I was mad about, and he told me he was going off to "do a season" in Canada I'd be extremely upset (assuming I couldn't go too...)

on the other hand, if I wasn't that mad about him, but liked him around, I'd say "OK, go and have some fun. I'll do the same. If we're both at a loose end when you come back, you never know".

So, maybe how much you care about said girlfriend may be a factor here.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jcbaragorn, did the nonstop course last season in red mountain.
there were 8 people older than 35+.
totally 11 people over 30.
that's about 30% of the participants in this course.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
p.s and after the course i headed to whistler for one month.

at that time, a spring ski pass was released an that as 200 cad for the rest of the season.

the Nonstop company provided me with a cheap accommodation there.
for about 35 cad per day i had the whole house alone.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jcbaragorn, the course to become a level 1 instructor is part of the season lesson pass (or certainly was the other year when I had a Whistler season lesson pass).

Well worth it, but like everyone's saying - it's olympic year at Whistler so everything's turned on it's head.

The season lesson pass is definitely the way to go though. I started off with a supergroups pass and transferred to the season pass because I wanted to do lots of Dave Murray camps. Supergroups just can't compete (perhaps because there's no continuity on a one-day course...) Cool

Good luck what ever you decide. Very Happy
snow report
Hi everyone, thanks for all the information. I think the course probably isn't quite what I want. I did give them a ring and had a chat, but more flexibility is the key - both socially, and in skiing time. I'll definitely have a look at possible accommodation options in Whistler, but take the point that it could be very tricky indeed at this late point, and things are a bit up in the air with the Olympics. I wouldn't really mind staying for the rest of the time, and going on a road trip then, but I'll see what I can find. If I can find it, then will definitely get the pass as Snowy suggests - I think it's a great deal.

Mouth, if the accommodation just proves to be too difficult, I like your idea of doing the season somewhere else and taking the holiday that's already booked anyway. I think that I would prefer to stick to NA for the season though. I've had a look at Fernie, is there anywhere else that might be good and have accommodation available at this point? What about somewhere like Aspen - I've heard rumours that it's not as expensive as everyone thinks it is.

pam w, point taken.... it's a tricky situation. What you didn't say, but were surely thinking is that it also depends how I feel about the two of us! It seems like too good an opportunity to miss, but on the other hand, relationship timing is certainly sub-optimal here Sad

cbr7, that sounds similar to the situation they described on the phone....

marcellus, Shocked Hopefully I can find something a little cheaper!

Thanks again for all the comments - if I end up going I will have to do a Bertie-esque thread Happy
snow report
jcb,

You could try looking for places in Golden BC, for access to Kicking Horse. The place has a great vibe.

As for the relationship side of things, would you regret not going and forever hold it against the other half? It's totally up to you to decide what your feelings are. Good luck. I feel that whatever you choose to do you will be on a winner.

Very Happy
ski holidays
jcbaragorn, we had a couple of guys who did not attend the lessons at all. or did ones depending on their lust.
though, they found that's a reasonable cost for the whole season. with flights, included activities, included accommodation and food+lift tickets!
anyway, i'm only sharing my experience!Smile
snow conditions
Do they offer any of these courses in Big WHite, SIlver Star or Sun peaks-then you wouldn't need an additional flight? Or REd, Fernie etc?

Can girlfriend not fly out to jopin you at some point?
ski holidays
jcbaragorn,
I did pretty much the same as you at about the same time for roughly the same reasons a few years ago after a planned season the year before (was also 30 - spooky! Happy ) - though luckily not in an Olympic year, and accommodation for the season was enough of a pain to find without that!
Like snowy mentioned there is a season lesson pass (called a platinum pass, or used to be) that is a very good way of improving - far more than an instructor course in my opinion, and also having the social side as there tends to be quite a few regulars, plus the coaches. Dave Murray and Extremely Canadian courses were covered on the Platinum pass, though I think that cost Extremely Canadian a lot as I did so many so they may have changed their minds!!
With a bit of effort after that and the short instructor courses you should certainly be able to do your level I and probably level II anyway if that's what you want

Would I do it again, again - though it was great, I'm not sure, I think I'd be tempted to do Kieren Gaul's (Big Red Cats) Cat guide/backcountry course in Rossland (Red Mountain), or maybe do a bit of a road trip around the interior resorts still with your two weeks at Whistler.

A tourist visa is good for 6 months - when we did our first season I expected a grilling and had loads of docs ready to prove we could afford not to be working and that we were definitely going back (MrsH was lucky enough to be given 4 months off work!) and the immigration person just asked where we were going, how long, and what for and didn't even really bat an eyelid when we said Whistler skiing for 4 months!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy