Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excercises for a stiff outside leg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My daughter has been skiing for a number of years now and though she regularly gets lessons has to my eyes persistant problems with a very straight outside leg in her turns. She went to Hillend with some friends today and when I went to collect them the problem remained apparent to me.
I will be getting lessons for her again this holiday but in the mean time was thinking of going to X scape Glasgow a couple of times to try some practice. I am too mean to pay for individual lessons at Braehead and am sceptical of the quality. Any suggestions for exercises that can improve it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar, I was doing this too and skiding my tails at the end of my turns. Rob@rar and Skimotteret spotted it during a lesson and when I stopped it tidied up the end my turns a lot.
It was just a case of been aware of the fault and not doing it. But it required someone else to spot it. Like so many things I didnt realise I was doing wrong until they were shown to me on video analysis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar, very difficult to give anything more than general advice without seeing her ski. Usually a defensive movement due to fear or excessive skidding at end of the turn. Or it could just be a lingering habit. Ensuring that she has control by practising balancing against her outside ski in her turns could help stop her feeling she needs to do it. Otherwise drills that increase movement, eg ski a run in a really crouched position, then ski a run in a really tall position, then ski really tall to start each turn and really small to finish each turn and absorb the building forces, also try touching the downhill boot at the end of each turn. HTH.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges,
Cheers will try that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
slikedges,
Cheers will try that.

T Bar, you named your daughter Cheers? Smile

Seriously, slikedges has given you some excellent drills for her to work on. Another is doing knee bends all the way through the turn. Very good for getting a skier out of a stiff/tense stance, and putting some movement and relaxation into their skiing.

The other thing you should do is check her ski boots. Many ski boots are made too stiff for kids, especially females if they're slight. If she can't bend her boots when trying to flex her ankles forward it could result in a stiff look to her skiing, especially if the boot cuff is very upright. Next time you guys are on the snow have her try to flex her boots for you and watch the cuff,,, see if she can bend it. You can do it at home to, but the warm temperature can make the plastic softer and distort the results. Could be just a technique issue she's dealing with, but best to rule out the stiff boot possibility first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, yep, equipment, environment, psychological, physical, tactical and last but not least technical
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try picking up a bag of shopping that, curiously, lies on the ground just after and on the outside every turn.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis,
Quote:

Try picking up a bag of shopping that, curiously, lies on the ground just after and on the outside every turn.

Hm, I think that could lead to people bending sideways at the waist? That's how I'd pick up a bag of shopping!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FastMan,
Quote:

T Bar, you named your daughter Cheers?

Traditional Scottish name mine is cannae punctuate. wink

Her boots are always hired but thanks for the tips.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy