Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever Been Caught Out (BIG TIME) ???

Poster: A snowHead
Some people just need their hands holding throughout their entire bloody lives. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guyrhofen wrote:
Have only twice gone DIY as a punter and twice bad experiences. First was a long weekend to Innsbruck. Gatwick had a heavy fall of snow ( all of 6 inches) and was closed for a day and a half. Never made it into the departure lounge . Second trip was to Sestriere. Luggage was broken into before picked it up from conveyor. My favourite one piece stolen and also a packet of uncle ben's rice.

How would it have been any different with a TO?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross wrote:

When they arrived sans Uncle Ben's we have got the entire airport together for a group hug, and then everything would have been better.
The luggage would never have been broken into as we personally sit in the luggage hold of each flight with our client’s bags and accompany them all the way along the baggage conveyor belt until they are collected. We then (to ensure continuation of security) piggy-back our clients and baggage to the coach park, before jogging back to the UK to guard the next group’s baggage.
So simply could never have happened with a TO.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross wrote:

Maybe their planes have winter tyres? Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bad_roo wrote:
Some people just need their hands holding throughout their entire bloody lives. Evil or Very Mad

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

DIY v TO

Just (lunchtime) had a group on the phone who booked with us but arranged their own flights. Group of 60+ over halft term.
Their flight to Venice got cancelled yesterday. One of the group immediately called the number on the email and agreed to the alternative flight offered. BUT he agreed to the wrong dates and now airline will not refund. So they have paid for a ski holiday in a hotel on different dates to the flights ???. They can't have a refund for either. (over £50,000 spent by group already)

DIY = BIG problem for large group over HT
TO = Sorted out in 15 mins with few calls to Italy. It's not just what you know it's ......

Just an observation wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, for a large group like that I am fairly certain I would want someone professional to do the organisation for me. I can sort out a holiday for us no problem at all, but I don't think I would want to take responsibility for a cock up like that one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont,
It happens every year so I'll bet you a pound to a penny that next year on the 1st Sat and Sun of Half Term I'll be in Venice airport and I'll get loads a phone calls from people (booked DIY) who have arrange their own flights and forgoten to sort out tranfers to the Dolomites.
They tend to call the tourist info office in a panic, and its them who give out our resort phone number.

Mind you Toofy Grin I'm off DIY to Zermatt next week and still ain't sorted out car hire Laughing Laughing

But to be fair to the chap who agreed to the flight change, wasn't the group leader and just thought he had better sort something out at least. These things happen. Sorted now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, Keep the FEAR - Factor going .. there are always free-loaders as you well know !! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre wrote:
there are always free-loaders as you well know !! wink

Not sure about that. Think most of them really did just forget to sort out a few bits. Have never met anyone who I thought was just after a free lift on our coaches. They all seem quite genuine to me.

We have all done it (well I have) forgotten boots, gloves, hat, etc. Just one of those things. Problem is, is when you're organising a group DIY and forget something. But I think that most things sort themselves out in the end.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't really want to get involved in the TP/DIY arguement (so why am i then? well I'm stuck at home ill, very bored and have just about read every new post on snowHead ). I've done both and have no qualms about either, but the one problem I've found this season is finding a reasonable transfer from the airport. Most other DIY trips have been made under own means of transport but this year we were looking to go back Folgarida (yes I know we could have gone with Wayne but he didn't have anything in January which is when we need to travel) and considered it too far to drive and don't have a car big enough for the 6 of us. It was astonishing that we could get 6 people to Bergamo from London for less money than we could get 3 people from Bergamo to the mountain. Ended up grabbing a deal with Neilsons to Bardonecchia - not quite where we were planning but the deal was too good to ignore.

Anyway, the point of my post? Why are transfers so expensive and what's the way around it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowlamb,
I'll be in resort in Jan - send me a PM before you get there and we'll meet up in the Eta Beta

If you're DIYing you'll be looking for ad hoc transfers and so the bus Co needs to ensure costs are covered from an unknown number of passengers - they assume minimum numbers and charge this. This is why DIY transfers are so much.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne wrote:
snowlamb,
I'll be in resort in Jan - send me a PM before you get there and we'll meet up in the Eta Beta

Wayne, would love to buy you a beer but we're going to be in Bardonecchia, too far to travel even for the undoubtable charms of the Eta Beta bar. Maybe another season.

We gave up trying on the transfer front - I'm sure we could have done it using trains, buses and local taxis but one wet Oct afternoon it all became a bit too much and i booked the easy option. But feeling very envious of all the snowheads who are going to be joining you at half term. Probably had one of the best ski holidays of my life at Folgarida, great snow, great people, great food. One of those holidays where it all fell together. Perhaps it's just as well we aren't going back this year. It would have had a lot to live up to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guyrhofen, If you work for any part of the TUI group you deserve all you get Twisted Evil

Other TO's can be OK, depends what you want. Prefer DIY generally, because at least the then fuckups are MY fuckups Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guyrhofen wrote:
My favourite one piece stolen

There are those who would argue that the thief did you a good turn there wink

Guyrhofen wrote:
and also a packet of uncle ben's rice.

I'm with you there, losing a packet of Uncle Ben's rice has gotta hurt.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, TUI can be perfectly OK too, and have been for me. Most of my ski holidays have been with either Crystal or Thomson, and I have really never had a TO issue.
latest report
snowlamb wrote:
Wayne wrote:
snowlamb,

Wayne, would love to buy you a beer but we're going to be in Bardonecchia, too far to travel even for the undoubtable charms of the Eta Beta bar. Maybe another season.

We gave up trying on the transfer front - I'm sure we could have done it using trains, buses and local taxis but one wet Oct afternoon it all became a bit too much and i booked the easy option.

Too late now, but next time try looking here http://www.trentinoviaggi.net/start.php?page=home&lang=EN

The Dolomites are one of the few areas where there is a decent low cost transfer option - it is €29 return with that service, and for Folgarida, they have departures from Bergamo at 12:30 and 16:30 on a Saturday, and 14:00 on a Sunday.

It's a pity Ryanair don't consider Bergamo to be a "ski" airport, so their current "skis go free" offer doesn't apply to flights there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy