Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - flex degrees

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Contemplating purchasing boots - know that the key thing is going and having them fitted properly - not too many shops in Dublin that do this and am contemplating waiting until i go to France in March

... in the meantime, what are the important considerations - how do the flex ratings work?, what are the best materials used in boot manufacture and how do they influence how the boot works with your body?

(just as way of experiement, i'm 6"3, have size 12 (wide) feet, weigh 95kg, am a keen intermediate skiier - but keep to the pisted stuff (or the stuff close to the sides of the pistes) at the mo, and i try and ski around 20 days per annum (being optimistic))
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
doogo, it's all subjective but what you don't want are boots at either end of the stiffness scale. If you buy beginners boots, you'll find they will be very comfortable at frist but you'll soon push out the lining (cheaper softer material usually) and the soft flex will not transmit your feet movement to the ski rapidily. Conversely, if you buy super stiff top-end boots, you'll spend all your time trying to flex the boot and they will be uncomfortable for a much longer period than a cheaper boot. So a good mid-range boot from a Swiss/Austrian last should do you, northern European feet tend to be wider then Mediterrean feet. I have wide feet and I've found I've never got on with Salomon but Head, Dynafit, Raichle have been fine. I'd have a look at Head or Lange, but don't look for a specific make when buying boots, buy the ones that fit, that are warm and waterproof, a lot of cheaper boots aren't. I don't care about materials, when I buy boots I want them to last for at least 10 yrs, after about 5 years they're nicely worn in.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-02-05 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The way flex ratings are measured vary from one manufacturer to the next, so a Technica "80" rating is not the same as a Salomon "80" for example. But basically the stiffer the flex, the stronger, heavier, or better a skier you need to be to get the best out of it.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in boot materials (pun?). There are plenty of "soft boots" on the market but they tend to be aimed more at beginners & lower inters.

Most important consideration is fit. If you put up which resort you are going to, a Snowhead should be able to recommend a resort bootfitter who will see you right.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, Lange boots for wide feet? Are you sure??
I have narrow feet and have just bought a pair of Langes, who have traditionally offered (one of) the narrowest fits around: they fit like a glove.

Quote:

don't look for a specific make when buying boots, buy the ones that fit, that are warm and waterproof, a lot of cheaper boots aren't. I don't care about materials, when I buy boots I want them to last for at least 10 yrs, after about 5 years they're nicely worn in.

Certainly agree with that bit tho.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the ice perv, David@traxvax, thanks for the replies - i'm going to Les Arcs and am willing to travel to any of the villages or BSM if someone can give me a good recommendation for a bootfitter

thks
D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doogo, You could try Twinner down in BSM they have a good stock and are usually very helpful. The Twinner in La Rosiere, blew out a guests new boots (purchased in UK) and ground down a raised edge at no charge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, thanks for that - are they in the village itself or on the outskirts (like the Intersport is)?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
doogo, on the outskirts, next to McDonalds a few hundred metres before you get to Intersport.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thks againDavid@traxvax,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
there's something funny about the Lange fit, I was also told they were narrow but my feet are wide and they fit much better than Salomon XWaves...incidentally, the Langes I tried also had a stiff flex rating (120) but they seemed to me to flex easily....I ended up buying Atomic R:10 coz they were cheaper and fit equally well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedric wrote:
there's something funny about the Lange fit, I was also told they were narrow but my feet are wide and they fit much better than Salomon XWaves...incidentally, the Langes I tried also had a stiff flex rating (120) but they seemed to me to flex easily....I ended up buying Atomic R:10 coz they were cheaper and fit equally well.

They've changed a little I think, the local fitter had to twist my arm/foot to get me to try them as I've high volume feet as well, in the end I didn't like them but they were a much better fit than I had expected.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doogo, had the same problem in Dublin last year, definately recommend you do not buy in town. Myself and a mate went to Macski in Belfast, they are based in Lisburn Rd, just off the centre. They are good guys who know what they are at and gave us a great deal on gear, we had the custom fits done and still had change from Dublin prices. I had problems with previous boots because of my foot shape, but they realised the problem and recommended a boot that was cheaper than what I had picked out. If you are going to do it, go up early as the shop gets very busy and they will insist you spend a lot of time trying on boots etc. I think the website is www. macski.com. We also saved considerable amounts of cash by buying lots of beer and wine on the way home.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thksherman41, hope the boots are helping you live up to your name!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doogo, unfortunately not, but nothing to do with the boots. They were great for dancing in and I have vague memories that they were kind enough to me on the stagger home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy