Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Ti" skis? + All Mountains Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy some All Mountain skis for an upcoming BASI 1 + 2 10-week Gap course.

I'm looking at the Elan Magfire 78 skis (£250 inc bindings) but have noticed that many skis have a "Ti" version if you're willing to pay more. What exactly does this mean, and do I need it?

Other options are Salomon X-Wing Tornado for £290 and Atomic Nomad Blackeye for £250, both inc bindings. Both have Ti versions for about £40 more.

Anyone have any experience with these or recommendations?

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
musehead, I've skied the X-Wing Tornado in both versions. The Ti stands for Titanium, which makes it stiffer. I'd say it really depends on how heavy you are and how aggressively you ski as to which one to go for.

I haven't tries the other skis you mentioned, but I liked the Tornado's. HEAD's Supershape Magnum would be my choice however.

Good luck with the gap course.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, i'm 75kg and around 5 foot 7 if anyone knows how that would affect me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musehead, TI does stand for Titanium in most skis. I have a pair of the magfire 12's and absolutley love them but I have also skied on the Tornados an awfull lot and bought a pair for my dad that they are that good.

Go for the TI version. Even if you are not heavy or aggresive they will be slighty stiffer at speed and more solid when you are doing high end stuff for your level 1 and 2/

Happy skiing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musehead, for your weight you might be better off going for non-Ti if you're not already a pretty accomplished skier. Assuming that you're going for a GAP course because you need that length of time to hit the mark and not just because you want to party wink , I'd say that an overly stiff ski will hold you back with the central theme stuff, bumps, variable snow, learning/developing railing/carving and other drills. If looking for a ski in that category, you might also want to consider the Head Peak 78 (this season's Monster 78 ). It has a smaller ski radius (171cm 14.5m) than the Tornado (166cm 15.6m) or Blackeye (171cm 17m), and also slightly smaller than the Magfire 78 (168cm 15m), which you may find helpful for some of the stuff you'll need to be doing. I've skied all except the Magfire 78 in those lengths but on different occasions and different conditions so's to make meaningful comparison difficult. I'd guess the Peak 78 or Tornado would be the pick but have also heard good things about the Magfire 78!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
musehead, slikedges, hijack alert! Sorry. My son is off to Canada to do his CSIA 1 and 2 in January. He is 6' ish, and built like a whippet (62kg - 9.5 - 10 st). The ideal would have been to get fitted out there but I understand because of fx movements, skis are more expensive out there than here. Research to date has come up with Nordica Hotrods, Apache Recons, or K2 Neos. Any views on these and the ones you mention above for his weight? Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noggy, Hotrods are a nice ski had them a year or two ago for a few days just to try them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
noggy, skied last year's Recons for a day on and off piste - nothing special. The only Neos I know are the Scott ones. I skied last years on piste and in decent powder and they were pretty good but I think are relatively wide underfoot for someone doing instructor courses. Maybe ok for someone doing instructor courses in BC(!) - I don't know. Lots of models of Hot Rods but I'm afraid I don't really know any of them. I mainly test skis I have access to a reasonable discount on! wink For his weight and height, I personally wouldn't think he'd be going for an awful lot different to musehead. I think his longer levers would make up somewhat for his weight. He might even bear models one up in length but I'm really no expert on this. Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, Sorry. It was Scott Neos of course - 78 underfoot, as the others. It was the Hotrod Nitrous I was looking at - 78mm also.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 9-11-09 12:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
noggy, Neos in 166cm are 82mm underfoot. In the 176 your son might need 83mm. But even in 156cm they're 81mm! At least that's what the blurb I have says.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, Ah yes - you re right. 82mm. But is 4mm noticeable? Would have thought he would ski 166cm, being light.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
noggy, at this width 4mm is definitely noticeable. Not very sure on the length to be honest. Weight is the main determinant but I think height does have an effect as well. Is there a chance he could try different lengths out on a ski test? There's one at MK this Saturday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, Unfortunately he's working on Saturday - needs to get some spending cash for the course - otherwise that would have been ideal of course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musehead, It's a sales gimmick that denotes a stiffer version of the same model ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, Thanks, just had a look for the Head Peak 78 but it's some £200 more expensive than the Magfire. Not sure if I could justify the price difference! The XW Tornado is a similar price online (£450 ish) but I can get is cheaper through a friend.

I'll probably go for the Magfire.

I've been recommended to look for 70-80mm underfoot and apparantly 170cm is suitable for most guys. So the Magfire 78mm and 168cm looks suitable.
snow conditions
musehead, I haven't skied the Nomads but have had some fun with both the other skis you mention without the Ti option. I'm a fairly ahem enthusiastic skier built rather more AHEM sturdily than you, and I would say either ski offers enough stiffness. If you want an all-out high-speed ski these are the wrong models anyway. Gut feel (and without checking my reviews on snowHead ) I would say the Elan shades the Salomom for my style of skiing, but as ever with these things, you need to try them yourself.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy