Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Work Permit Needed?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone
I'm being a right mummy, but my son's heading off to Morzine for the winter, he's sorted his accommodation and will try and get some casual work whilst there, does he need a work permit for casual work in France? he won't work 'on the black' so does he need to take any specific documents with him?, sorry if this has been covered befoe but any information would be useful
thanks,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
France is part of the EU. Assuming he holds a British passport, he is entitled to work there if he wishes. the only thing he should need is his passport, and his NI number if he's looking for TO work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No work permit, however if he finds work with a French employer he will need a French NI number. His employer should help him out with the relavent paperwork...it's a lot easier and hassel free to get your wages passed to you in an brown envolope though! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for your quick replies snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There use to be something called the "carte de sejour" but that has all been done away with now, so no as an EU person (assuming he is), he can work for anyone he likes within the EU no papers required (apart from a passport for ID).

But generally all work is on the black (right off the books), for last minute stuff in ski resorts as it is (from long experience employing people in France), excruciatingly expensive to employ officially. I mean fully officially (as the law prescribes in France - i.e. a French contract following French minimum wages agreements and RSI social charges), many english companies opperating in ski resorts do things in the somewhat now traditional grey area method... They employ on an English contract (often never produced - when I worked in Alpine chalets I never actually saw a real contract), and say the staff are on secondment in France. This allows them to pay low wages and not worry about the actual hours, not at all legal in the eyes of the French but not alot they can do about it (although they keep trying and things may change shortly), as long as the staff are happy and don't complain directly the French authorities (and generally they are very happy having a good laugh in a ski resort despite working for pennies), they are not able to intercede.... As a resident in France myself (under law: more than 193 consecutive days), I have to run a French company and follow the French rules - bummer.

Tis a hornets nest of stuff if you really dig and there is alot in the news in France at the moment with the season about to restart and the French hotels etc in resort getting very cheesed off that they are haaving to play by the rules while chalet companies are managing to charge much less due to lower running costs... I would reccomend just making the most of it while he has the chance - things might get quite tricky for UK chalet companies shortly...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
in garbure we trust, one of my predictions for hard times was that French hoteliers (and indeed job-hunters) might start to get shirty about the dubious employment practices of TOs. If they don't, I suspect it will be because they don't understand what's going on. And if they do, I predict that it will commence in the Tarentaise, where the authorities are more wise to it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that 'in garbure we trust '.
It will be a bonus and a great experience for him if he can work, but luckily he's not depending on getting work, just going with the flow!! lucky so n so
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If he has the finances to allow a non working season then well done to him. However, from experience i would recommend getting some work so he can meet people to ride with.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sprinkles wrote:
Hi everyone
I'm being a right mummy, but my son's heading off to Morzine for the winter, he's sorted his accommodation and will try and get some casual work whilst there, does he need a work permit for casual work in France? he won't work 'on the black' so does he need to take any specific documents with him?, sorry if this has been covered befoe but any information would be useful
thanks,

No need for work permit if he has a UK passport & NI number.
Take NI number & UK bank details - he may land a job with a UK employer. Oh, and loads of copies of his CV in English (& French if possible).
Make sure he gets a contract - if the Gendarmes come to his place of work & ask to see them, he could be in trouble without one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's no need for a work permit in France if you're from the UK anymore. In fact, it's a good idea to have a look at some of the tour companies working in France who are based in the UK, that way you'll be in with a bunch of other Brits who are in the same boat and the employer will take care of the banking. Otherwise, take your UK passport and NI number. If you're not from the UK, a few countries have working holiday visas for France. Look at http://www.snowseasoncentral.com/france for visas and job info.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy