Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitting - how much tweaking?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked in with CEM for further tweaking. Had initial fit then one tweak last season but still struggling so this will be third visit. Just curious to know how much tweaking others have needed as feeling like a bit of a wuss Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

feeling like a bit of a wuss

don't. That's why you're going to a bootfitter. I had an initial tweaking then went back after wearing them round the house a couple of evenings for a further round of tweaking. OK after that. Feet are different. OH had initial tweaking then a bit of shell shoving out in resort to accommodate an ankle bone that was getting sore. He's now wondering about the other ankle bone. It's worth getting it right; my boots are really comfy now. It's just horrible to have sore feet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, Spdyerman spent a huge amount of time there being tweaked and eating pies Breakfast baguettes etc Toofy Grin
I only went back for a warranty repair to the boot (nothing to do with the fit!) Very Happy
Everyone is differerent. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Boredsurfing, thanks that's reassuring Laughing
Since the original fitting I have had a problem with achilles tendonitis which is being a bit persistent. I have ended up seeing a foot and ankle consultant and having twice weekly physio and have now got orthotics for everyday shoes. I am doing just about every calf and hamstring stretch imaginable and now physio is thinking that there's something going on with my back and so now I am doing back and sciatic nerve stretches too. To top it all off the xrays showed a bone spur on the back of the heel, the start of a bunion and early stage arthritis in the big toe joint Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the start of a bunion and early stage arthritis in the big toe joint

I have both those - hence my concern originally. My very pretty new ski boots now have bunions too, unfortunately, thanks to CEM's efforts. I find that ski boots are absolutely the best footwear possible for the arthritis in the big toe joint - because the joint doesn't move at all. Hiking boots are OK too, for the same reason. When I do moves such as lunges, I need really chunky trainers on - if I try to do them, for example, in my slippers (as you do........) it hurts the big toe joints.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, yes I am definitely better in more restrictive footwear. I have just started Pilates too, to help with all this dodgy alignment and the teacher has told me to do the standingwork in my trainers and orthotics as I am so lopsided and unstable in my bare feet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, I worked it out to be about 22 hours work on my Raptors, until they were found to be faulty, just as I'd got them perfect. Had to start again, but this time the new Raptors didn't fit as the last shape had changed slightly.
Atomic to the rescue, new ones only needed a tiny grind on 1 ankle and a small toe stretch on both boots, but that was only because I went for Zip-Fit liners and needed a bit more room for them. Now the Zippy's are bedded in, they're lovely. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, without wishing to speak too soon, my new boots from CEM (with Zip-Fit liners) appear to be right first time: after 4 hours on the Hemel slope, I felt no need for any tweaking. But I don't think I've got particularly difficult feet and of course, unlike Spyderman's, they're not race-fit boots. Only slight problem is the sweating and swearing required to get into them! I don't ever plan to take them off at lunchtime, that's for sure. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, 22 hours Shocked I won't worry yet then!
Hurtle, that's lucky, long may you remain comfortable in them Smile Do you mind me asking why you went for getting ZipFits?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah,
Quote:

Do you mind me asking why you went for getting ZipFits?
Erm, I didn't have any choice in the matter, that's what CEM said I had to have, if the boot he chose for me was going to fit. Who was I to argue? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I put the ZipFits on first, then put the shells on. I leave them in the shells when I take them off though.

sarah, It was always my intention to get ZipFits for my Atomic's. The stock liners allowed a bit of movement around the heel, which the Zippy's have sorted. ZipFits are a lot more comfortable, give much greater feel and grip on the foot, plus best of all, they're a lot warmer, the stock race liner was freezing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, Spyderman, Thanks! I will discuss with CEM when I go but comfort and warmth sounds good, probably my biggest complaint is cold feet which I know might well be caused by the other stuff going on too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, sorry if you'v answered this elsewhere, but do you have Hotronics boot heaters? Well worth it if you get cold feet - which always make any boot problems seem worse.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I have Thermic ones, they help a bit but I had some problems with them. One was that I burnt my foot Embarassed , one day my feet were so numb I didn't know if it was pain or cold so I turned the Thermics up to 3, after a while feet were still hurting and sole was burning too! The other problem is that my trousers seem to rub against the controls and so even though I have set them ok, I might find my feet are too hot or are still freezing and when I look the switch is not where I set it. As I say they are ok but if I can get my boots sorted so that I don't need them then that would be better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied in my new boots for the first time last night. I was fitted for the boots, however, I was getting cramps in the soles of my feet when going up the button lift. They felt very tight although the cramps stopped after about an hour.....I got the boots heat moulded, however my question is, will the boots start to feel loser with time ? the boot fitter told me that the inner sock can compress by up to 20%.

My old boots were two sizes too big, but were like bedroom slippers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy