Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ulster Teenager Survives Horrendous Accident with a Piste Basher

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A teenage pupil on a school skiing trip in Austria is expected to recover from terrible facial and head injuries after apparently being run over by a piste basher. His injuries were sufficiently serious to put him on a life support machine after surgery.
Quote:

An Ulster teenager was today recovering on a life support machine in an Austrian hospital from serious injuries sustained in an horrific skiing accident on a school trip.

Joe McLaughlin, a 17-year-old pupil at St Malachy's High School in Castlewellan, is understood to have undergone 15 hours of surgery to treat serious facial injuries following the incident on Friday when he is believed to have collided with a snow machine on an Alpine ski resort.
Quote:
In addition to facial injuries the student also sustained severe injuries to his skull and upper body when he collided with what is thought to have been a machine that redistributes snow around the slopes.

Members of the school skiing party, along with the party's instructors, helped pull the unconscious boy from under the machine when paramedics arrived.

Full story from the Belfast Telegraph
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, Exclaimation! That's a a really bad one. I feel for the boy's family and for the ski party. That is the nightmare situation for any school trip and parent. I will follow the story here. Ian, was there any indication of how it actually happened? I would have thought such incidents were rare. I recall having a very close encounter with a piste machine in a ski-tunnel in St. Anton over 12 years ago. It was not a pleasant experience, but no contact was actually made.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very sad indeed.
Happened some years back at the RAF skiing Championships, I believe. A racer had turned up for downholl training without a helmet. Was sent back to get one. flew over bank straight into path of piste basher. Quality of life not too good after that. Hearsay - but told me by reliable bod who was there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bernard Condon, I think they are very rare - thankfully. We had another thread about an American girl who was killed when she hit a piste basher but that was at night, if I recall correctly. This article gives no detail of how the accident occurred and in fact doesn't even use the term piste basher - I'm inferring that. Will keep an eye on Google for further news. The good news is he is going to live and there was no mention of brain damage. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How awful.

My worst nightmare to be honest.................
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What A terrible story

Bernard Condon, I too had a near miss with a Sno-cat while on a school trip. He was coming up a narrow track leading down to the village at around 4.30??? Admittedly Iwas skiing too fast with limited experience.

I hope this kid pulls through
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very very scary. I hope he will be OK. And how awful for the parents. Athough my boys have skiied since they were four, I was always nervous when they were away on school ski trips (but maybe that was more because they can get drinks at the bar much younger in Europe).

Another incident to add fuel to the fire of those who are trying to stop school trips of any sort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
big k, Coincidentally, I was a relative beginner at that time and I think what spooked me most was the thought that I may not have the expertise to avoid the mechanical beast. As I mentioned, there was not any actual contact, but it was a close thing! In the tunnel, the piste machine took up approx. 3/4 of the width and the remaining 1/4 actually looked like just 1/75th! I hope that it has changed because inexperienced skiers and piste machines in tunnels do not mix.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy