Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We're thinking of booking a bonus week of ski-ing at Christmas, probably Les Coches (Plagne) Happy

To keep costs down think we might drive, but have never done so before, does anyone have any friendly advice?

We live in Kent, presume it is cheaper to get ferry than Eurostar and once on French soil I guess it will take about 12 hours with a couple of short stops and a lunch break I guess. Sound about right?

I guess I'll have to get some snow chains somewhere - quick look on ebay suggests about £50 for two pairs (presume you need front and back), we have a Renault (Megane Scenic).

Just thought ... skis!! Must have to get a roof rack for them.

Any advice, guidelines, pointers etc. much aprreciated.

Cheers,

Simon. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, Expect some abuse as this question is asked so often Laughing Laughing . Driving is great. Do some searching and great, great choice in Les Coches by the way, hidden little gem is that place. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Company we used last year was good and they have a good offer on their chalet-hotel there for Christmas, so have the room on hold until Monday - glad to hear it is a good resort - wondered if being just Christmas and quite low altitute if the runs back down might be non-existant, hopefully not, I don't really have the time start searching for a resort from scratch!

Thanks I'll have a look around (is there an article perhaps?) snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller wrote:
simonx, Expect some abuse as this question is asked so often Laughing Laughing .

Indeed I got a little mild abuse when I started this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55759 - but in the end I also got some very good tips (some of which you might find useful). Smile

Good luck

TMOTB

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-11-09 18:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx wrote:
Hi there,

We're thinking of booking a bonus week of ski-ing at Christmas, probably Les Coches (Plagne) Happy

To keep costs down think we might drive, but have never done so before, does anyone have any friendly advice?

We live in Kent, presume it is cheaper to get ferry than Eurostar and once on French soil I guess it will take about 12 hours with a couple of short stops and a lunch break I guess. Sound about right?

I guess I'll have to get some snow chains somewhere - quick look on ebay suggests about £50 for two pairs (presume you need front and back), we have a Renault (Megane Scenic).

Just thought ... skis!! Must have to get a roof rack for them.

Any advice, guidelines, pointers etc. much aprreciated.

Cheers,

Simon. snowHead

1) Pre-booked ferrys can be as low as £40, turn up and pay is somewhere between £75 - £85

2) As you are in kent - you can rent chains from www.snowchains.co.uk which might be more cost-effective, they can advise you on what you need, think you only need them on the driving wheels.

3) If you take a friday night ferry then with 2x drivers can get to resort for saturday morning, get the skis sorted out and go for a little slide around which is nice. Some prefer to stop over-night. Ditto for the drive home - saturdays really are paradise days skiing in La Plagne/Les Arcs

4) I can get my skis in the car - much easier - perhaps look at that too.

5) Approx 73 euro one way in tolls.

Here's a few other threads to keep you busy reading - once you're read them all come back if you still have questions.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55997

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54207

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54576

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5544

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norfolkline ferry, Dover - Dunkirk is usually cheapest but is 2 hours sailing plus waiting, loading and off-loading time. Eurotunnel is easy and quick (about 45 mins from loading to off-loading, (if you arrive early at Folkstone you could be allowed on an earlier train) but can cost a lot more.
In winter it is better to stick to French motorways and pay the tolls (65 to 80 Euros) but watch your average speed does not exceed the limits between collecting toll ticket and presenting it for paying. Chains on the driven wheels only are fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
simonx, Use your Tesco clubcard vouchers and use the tunnel for free Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55920#1344976

And don't worry about snow in Les Coches, last year they bumped up their snow cannon facilities and access to the rest of La Plagne is very easy. Also check your piste map do Dos Rond and Pierre Blanche all the way from Arpette to Montchavin. At the bottom smile and mentally thank me for a great 20 minutes skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Driving to the mountains? Is there any other way to travel? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so much to review Shocked but thanks snowHead I have started to look through, some good stuff there especially lists.

Our accom. is Sunday-Sunday, so already I am thinking about leaving Saturday staying in a motel near the resort and getting some ski action on Sunday - and similar in reverse on the way back snowHead snowHead snowHead ......... perhaps go back to same motel, not sure.

Hopefully some of you can be kind enough to let me benefit from your advice one some specific questions ....

The Channel crossing: Ferry or Eurotunnel - which do people prefer, would the Eurotunnel be quicker (we are a little close to Folksetone than Dover). A quick ferry quote was £102 (including 'priority' on the way out), and Eurotunnelt was less than I thought at £131.

The Route: presume you go as far as Dijon, and unless you go via Chamonix (?) looks like you have to go through Albertville - but ... via Geneva/Annecy/Albertville or Lyon/Chambery/Albertville. Also toll cost estimates - €75 each way??

Motel: closest place to La Plagne for a motel?

Kind regards,

Simon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
simonx, English channel mid Winter? Isn't that why the tunnel was built? Tunnel every time.

and

Hotel nearby

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/hotel-2586-etap-hotel-albertville/index.shtml

route....old fat bloke who posts here! has done this for years, don't argue against this route.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32996#788863

and

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47888&highlight=

Sunday to Sunday. You are blessed as it means you shall enjoy the fact that 99% of people leaves the Alps on a Saturday and your last day of holiday you shall meet about 3 people on the slopes. Enjoy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, lees o' the fat Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, Darn, thought that one might pass you by Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
simonx, via Chamonix Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simonx, driving is the only way to go in my view. Really really nice way to start the holiday, particularly if you throw in a night stop on the way there.

Can't beat the Tunnel though - so quick and smooth and flexible.

Regarding your comment about chains - generally you only need them for the driving wheels.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tunnel it is.
And via Lyon/Chambery.
One pair of chains - from the snow chain website, cheapest to buy £29, rental option £49 ... I'm not after quality really so happy to buy at that price Happy

Motel etc.
Any advances on the Albertville Etap?

Thinking about it, on the way back, a pleasant morning's ski-ing would be satisfying, we could then head off early or mid-afternoon and have a few hours drive, maybe stay somewhere "nice" on the way back?

Thanks so much guys and gals snowHead

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 6-11-09 23:58; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm not after quality really so happy to buy at that price

one of the differences between cheap chains and expensive ones is the former are far harder to put on. So if it looks like you might need them; practice before push comes to shove.
snow report
simonx You seem to have covered most of the basics.
Tunnel makes it a whole lot easier.
I have had chains every trip, only had to use them once, but I really needed them. I wouldn't skimp on the cost and instead get the 'easy fit' type even if they may cost a little more.
Depending on the time of day you intend going past Lyon, you may want to consider a route that takes you just North Of Dijon (A39/A42/A432), past Bourg-en-Bresse, and Lyon\St Exupery airport. It avoids Lyon bypass, where there can be big queues at peak times. It's only slightly longer.
I used the Etap in Albertville last year, basic but more than adequate. Make sure you book this and well in advance for both stops.
If you are going to stop over on the return, why not make it a full day skiing on the Sunday?
Sure you'll have a blast!
snow report
simonx wrote:
two pairs (presume you need front and back), we have a Renault (Megane Scenic).

best thing i've heard in a while Very Happy Cool
sorry, you only need them for your drive wheels, front wheels hopefully or your in for some slide-y fun. you could put them on the back if your really nervous just to aid grip., but i've never seen it.

if your going to la plagne stop by in moutiers at the champion and get some cheap rossignol branded chains for around 10euro. they won't last a whole seasons use, but to have in your car just incase, cos you never know, you might not need them. i got a pair for my own car after much searching for the dirtiest cheapest pair at the end of last season. for work we used 12mm thick ones which last, but these 9mm ones will do just fine. you won't need them before moutiers anyway.

and make sure you practise how to put them on. nothing worse/funnier come a snowy day and some parisians or other tourists stuck on the side of the road with the snow chain instruction leaflet out. once you've done it twice its dead easy!

as for the route, personally i'd go down past dijon then head towards geneva, come across to annecy on the new section of autoroute, then cut around the lake annecy to albertville. you could miss the lake, hit chambery and then albertville. anything to avoid going near lyon.

watch out for tolls around the alps. I've driven in many parts of france and don't know an area that has more toll booths than here. You'll be ok in north France for about 4 hours drive, then you start hitting the tolls.
ski holidays
oh and why stop in albertville? your almost there?
ski holidays
OliC wrote:
oh and why stop in albertville? your almost there?
Thnk the idea is to stop over the night before on an already booked week.

This year we are driving through to resort, having managed to book extra nights on the weeks stay.
snow report
BMF_Skier,
Quote:

having managed to book extra nights on the weeks stay
One of the numerous examples of your apartment owner's excellent service! wink
snow conditions
Thanks Olic - we are looking to maximise a booked week of accomodation, if there's anything cheap and close I'll go for it Happy
snow report
Just curious but how does driving really compare to say train when you add it all up
you have:
fuel
parking
chains
channel crossing
tolls

I guess it makes more sense if you have 4 in the car. But does it add up if just 2 people?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 8-11-09 17:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
tiffin, Some say it cost them nothing, some say it cost them 2p, others £1,000. I reckon it cost us about £700. I posted this a while back. Not every cost is relevant to every person but the more in the car obviously the more economical. For 2 its debatable but who cares its down to what you prefer.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38244#899086
snow conditions
tiffin,
Quote:

it makes more sense if you have 4 in the car. But does it add up if just 2 people?

In pure cash terms 2 in the car will not save money maybe in a fully financed company car with a good deal on the tunnel/ferry it might.
I reckon if I can get flights and a hire car for under £500 will fly otherwise it's the drive. Christmas New Year with all the presents etc to take it's always the car Very Happy
snow conditions
Whether 2 in a car "adds up" or not, depends on the alternative. For us there's never any question that 2 in a car is incomparably cheaper than extended car hire.
ski holidays
Having driven several times, I reckon the tunnel out is worth the time saving (unless extortionate price) if you're going to do it in one go (easy from Kent). If you get a 7-8am tunnel you can expect to be at the alps around 6-8pm (at average 70-80mph, no long lunch break).

The closest hotel to La Plagne (that I recommend as I stopped there) is Hotel Montalbert. In fact with a 30% lift pass reduction and bloody cheap prices it's a bargain for those driving to the alps and should be considered as a base lodge (half board too). You have to drive a mile to the ski lifts tho.

I always stopover in Poligny on the way back. It means you can leave the resort midday, and end up at your hotel by 6pm. Then the stretch to a ferry at Boulogne or Calais is a doddle by around 5pm.

The car is only going to save money at 3 or more passengers, but it's a lot of hassle getting a train to an airport, transfers, etc. Plenty of opportunity for terrible delays by plane. Car gives you a lot of freedom and flexibility (you can pack all the penknives, booze, skis and snowboards you want).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy