Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold Sores

Poster: A snowHead
Peter Leuzzi, It works best at the first sign of a cold sore, I'm sure I may have used it unnecessarily a couple of times, but better safe than sorry.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm sure I may have used it unnecessarily a couple of times

that'd be me all over Very Happy

The little btds just make life so ordinary at times
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
The problem with the ol' zinc is you look too much like Shane Warne

What it gives you gopping ginger hair too? Fair d'incumb mate!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always over cream i.e. addign cream ~ 8 times per day. I always rub this cream in quite firmly into sore, blister or scab. Get that cream into the blood stream around the sore as quickly as possible.

I was advised in France the mecca of pharmacies that it is ESSENTIAL to also use a factor 50+ suncream on the cold sore area after applying the Zovirax Acyclovir cream as the UV in the sun makes them far worse.

I guess if you know that skiing causes cold sores then apply the cream every morning to lips along with suncream regardless as to if you have an outbreak yet. Preventive cures!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So does anyone know if wearing a half neoprene type face mask will help, as that'll protect my lips from the cold wind and sun ??

I've tried all the above, and at the moment the best treatment I've found is the new electronic remote which is mentioned above, boots have there own branded version which is cheaper that the one someone linked to.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just thought that I'd update this post, just in case it helps anyone else out.

I've just returned from skiing and have at least 6 cold sores, woo joy! - This is after using a Seirus face mask from snow & rock and Carmex SPF 15 lip balm.
The above is obviously not good enough, so I've just ordered the following from Amazon.co.uk

Banana Boat SPF 50 Lip Balm
&
Sunsense Sun Protection Lip Balm SPF 40

I'm not going skiing for at least another year - This is how much I hate them.

Anyway I hope the above advice/products helps from getting attacked by these whilst on hols.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munkee, do remember that sun protection factor diminishes with time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All posh new version, prevens a sore appearing IF you use it at first tingle! (I also take a paracetemol as my throat glands start feeling swollen as well) It just works.
But if you miss the first tingle it really does cut healing time in half again I take paracetemol evry 4 hours until they go.

http://www.vcs.eu.com/index.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
munkee, do remember that sun protection factor diminishes with time.

Cheers for the advice, I've managed to cancel one of the items before dispatch - I'll use the other this summer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
http://www.vcs.eu.com/index.html

Thanks, I brought the one that is available from Boots it was cheaper at the time, pretty sure it does the same thing - What type of Battery does the LipZor use? As the Boots one uses the expensive 9v smoke alarm types.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annoyingly I get mine in the corner of my mouth so compeed do show during the day so my version of attack is compeed once home from work/overnight and zovirax (or unbranded) cream during the day. I have found that as I've got older (27 this year) the cold sore seems to have been less severe than those I got as a teenager/early 20's and have heard similar reports from others but may just been coincidental.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munkee, It says in the UK it's now marketed as this
http://www.mentholatum.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=48
Mines one of the original grey box ones and indeed takes a smoke detector battery
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munkee, as a couple of other contributors to the thread have said, aciclovir tablets (400mg twice daily) taken as a preventer might be the way forward. I would start a couple of days before departure and continue for a couple of days after you're home. Only available on prescription - and just possibly your GP might say "This is a holiday medication therefore non-NHS" - in which case ask for it on a private prescription (it' not desparately expensive comapred with some of the stuff that you have laready spent your money on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have suffered from cold sores from being a child Sad - didn't realise until I was 20, that they were brought on by the sun (as well as being run down..) !!!

Your aim should be to stop the sore starting in the first place :
When skiing I use a high factor lipstick (anything over 25spf), which I am constantly topping up (espcially after drinks !). I also avoid sitting facing the sun ......
Get one of those lip/cream combi's by Piz Buin/Amber Solaire (small tube of cream with the top holding the lipstick.)

The mask should work - bits out of the sun; protected from the wind................!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freddie Paellahead, ah, wish I had known that before! Very Happy
ski holidays
Taking lysine supplements or eating foods rich in lysine has definitely helped me to control my cold sores. In addition to taking lysine avoid arginine. As I understand it cold sores need arginine to grow. Lysine works by attaching to arginine in the body, effectively soaking it up. This is just my simplified way of understanding it from stuff I've read on the Internet over more than 20 years.
Lysine rich foods include milk, meat and fish.
Arginine rich foods include nuts. Avoid when your feel a cold sore coming on.
I'd advise you do your own research, particularly on ratios of lysine and arginine in foods.
snow conditions
Lysine, Zinc tablets and compeed plasters work great (more for just disguising them and making you feel less like a freak).. I tend to blitz the tablets when I start to feel run down... 'Usually' works although I think much of it is psychological and makes you worry less...

Very Happy
snow conditions
I don't get cold sores but a friend who does swears the answer is this, sounds foul, obviously I have never tried it but I'm told according to an old wives tale you should put your own earwax on your coldsore as it will have a vaccine like effect and prevent you getting another! My friend has not had 1 for several years now. Smile
latest report
Interesting tips! I suffer really badly too, in fact the only ski trip I didn't get them on was the last one where we didn't see any sun for the whole week. The year before we went in March and the day after we got back I came out with 32 cold sores spread all over my top lip, up into my nostrils and all the way up my cheek. I literally didn't go out for a week apart from going hiking where I have some pretty hideous photos! Since then I've successfully used one of those infra red devices which definitely cut the healing time. Will be looking at getting tablet aciclovir too although they don't like giving it out in the UK I believe, not like the US where they prescribed it for my brother for chicken pox.

It is, unfortunately the massive downside to skiing, I dread them, but I love skiing more!
snow report
This year I'm prepared!

Been to the GP and they've given me a Virulite device on NHS prescription & 400mg of Acyclovir 1 tablet twice daily..

So that with Sensense 50+ lip block and ski mask I'm all set..

If this doesn't work I'm prepare to cut my lips off - that's how much they do my nut in.

Further details on this stuff on my blog

Cheers all.
snow report
Dear lord, imagine my first post on here being about this. I've lurked for a while and no, I don't have an imaginary gripe against any travel companies. Toofy Grin

I use the stuff below as normal lip balm now. Touch wood, two years since I've had a cold sore. It's truly magnificent, so much so that I wondered if there was some placebo effect going on.

http://www.sorefix.com/

Anyway, hi, 3 weeks until Adelboden Smile
ski holidays
First tingle and slap on some of the cheap Boots stuff does the job for me almost every time.
snow conditions
bathgate7, welcome to cold soreHeads wink

Have a great time in Adelboden snowHead
latest report
davkt,

You can't beat a bit of slap & tingle wink
snow report
I also find that the general state of your immune system has a large part to play in it. If you're particularly tired or unwell in other ways, it can allow the virus to win through. I've noticed I can sometimes get one a couple of days after a heavy night on the sauce, as I think the hangover pays enough of a part to lower your immune system
snow report
For me, high factor sunscreen helps prevent them occurring, then zovirax as soon as a tingle starts, as it did at Xmas, and no cold spot develops. Once stayed at a friends and did not have my cream with me she swore by tea tree oil (only externally as its really not good for you) I tried it and it worked. I`ve been caught out since with no zovirax and used tea tree oil, it works for me!
snow report
Despite my post in 2009 I've found the body builds up a tolerance to lysine and even applying topical creams at first tingle, they still appear. The only sure fire way of preventing them is to cover up my face.
snow conditions
I have an update too to my above post re 32 cold sores! I went shortly after I last posted and had the sunniest March skiing I've ever had. I just used zovirax as lip cream and covered it up with sunscreen. Then kept giving the area a quick blast with the infra red thingy. Didn't get a cold sore all week for the first time ever!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I get one every 6 weeks or so, almost makes me want to chop off my own head they're that frequent!

I find that the Compeed Coldsore patches are really useful for skiing because my neck scarf normally touches my coldsores and spreads them around however if you have a patch on covering it, it really does reduce the chance of spreading the 'love'. L-Lysine did have a positive study (small sample size though) and I have tried it but I didn't think it did that much but you may as well give it a whirl.

Sleep, stress, chocolate, nuts, wind, cold, hot, sun all trigger them so try sit in a cave meditating only eating straw but don't get too cold and you'll be fine NehNeh
snow report
At the first tingle I use my Virulite device and take a couple of paracetomol (as my neck glands swell a bit as well) and touch wood no cold sore appears.
ski holidays
BinkiBelle, (although you're probably no longer reading this), arginine herpes link pretty much considered an inappropriate conclusion these days, see, http://www.metametrixinstitute.org/post/2011/10/31/Should-Herpes-Patients-Avoid-Arginine.aspx

(Short answer, "no")
snow conditions
"Preventing recurrences involves avoiding those things known to trigger cold sores. So, make sure you always wear a lip balm containing UV protection and avoid sources of stress.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet that's rich in vitamins A, C and E, zinc and iron is also important to keep the immune system strong. Garlic may have antiviral properties and can be taken fresh or in capsule form.

Some people believe that the herb melissa, or lemon balm, is a good preventative. Dried melissa leaves in boiling water, left to cool and then daily to the lips with cotton wool may help."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/coldsores1.shtml

The lemon balm/dried melissa leave in boiling water etc sounds interesting and might be worth a try.

The best thing I use is a home made concoction of local honey, crushed garlic and lemon juice. A teaspoon of that before bed whenever I start to feel ill and everything is sorted (I realise I sound like a complete hippy but it definitely works). The other thing I try and do is make sure my vitamin C levels are high, lots of oranges!
snow report
I'm just back from my first ever ski trip without getting any cold sores..

I used 400mg of Acyclovir tablets twice a day, which I got from my GP as preventive measure & as well as using Sunsense SPF 50 lip balm.
If you want to know more, I wrote about it on my blog, detailing everything slightly more.

I'm ecstatic about finally finding a solution - Hope it helps someone else...
ski holidays
munkee, I just got that lip balm too, mainly just as I am out in every weather and sometimes get a bit of wind chap. Looks good stuff.
snow conditions
It's good to hear that some people are succeeding in avoiding cold sores. Acyclovir, factor 50 lip balm and infra red zapping devices should all work in theory. The compeed patches do make you feel better too. My cold sores aren't that bad, but even one is painful and best avoided if possible.
David Murdoch, thanks for the link. I don't think it is a conclusive "no" though. There was evidence for and against. References 3 and 7 appear to be stating the exact opposite of each other. Some of the references suggesting 'limiting Arginine is rubbish' refer only to viruses and not to HPV. There also seems to be a geographical split; with many of the references against limiting Arginine originating from Japan. I wonder if this has some relevance?
I find that increasing Lysine and avoiding Arginine works for me, so I will continue.
I may have misinterpreted the article, I'm not some kind of research expert so correct me if I'm wrong. Unless of course you're no longer reading this?
snow report
If you do need to buy Zovirax, buy it abroad. We brought 6 grams in Corfu for a third the price of two grams brought in the UK.
Shocked snowHead
snow report
I haven't had one for years. But as soon as I felt that tell tale tingle on my lip I used to put toothpaste on it. I don't know why but it seemed to stop it in its tracks and I would not get an open sore. I also sort of like the burning tingle from the toothpaste but then I also like putting Vegemite on mouth ulcers (which hurts but gets rid of them!).
ski holidays
I get a day or so's warning from the lip tingle, slap some generic version on Zovirax on it within about 12 hrs of feeling the tingle and it goes away without developing into an open sore. Occasionally it'll go a bit red for a couple of days but that is the worst it gets.
latest report
I have to comment on this thread as it is all wrong. What most people call cold sores are in fact oral aphthous ulcers. These generally appear as shallow ulcers, usually small but can be large or oddly-shaped, with grey base and surrounding erythema (redness).

They are NOT caused by any kind of virus. They are an immunologically mediated phenomenon probably involving T-helper cells. They are more common after minor trauma, stress, inflammatory bowel disease, HIV, and some other states. Interestingly, they are more common in non-smokers.

Zovirax does nothing for them. Topcial steroids may help.

Herpes virus can cause eruptions in the mouth usually manifesting like blisters. These are uncommon in adults as most people are immune to virus-related oral eruptions, having experienced them in childhood.

Hope this helps
ski holidays
Peanuthead.
I get cold sores. Not ulcers.
I have seen many people with cold sores. I think most people call a cold sore a cold sore.
Is this your field of expertise? Do you suffer from cold sores or RAU?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy