Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping warm

Poster: A snowHead
I've only been skiing once last year (to Winter Park) and it was fairly cold on a couple of days (-17degrees c was about the coldest day on the slopes I think).

This particular day was a bit of a write off in terms of skiing because I was cold and miserable. I will have been wearing something like

A base layer top and pants
Another t shirt of some sort
A micro fleece
My jacket and salopettes
One pair of socks & mittens
Hat
Snood/neckwarmer thing

My hand and feet were particularly cold - I read somewhere that you should only wear one pair of socks, so presumably I should invest in some decent ones. Can anyone recommend any for me?

Also, my fingers suffered quite badly. How do you guys keep your hands warm? I only had one pair of mittens on, nothing inside - should I use 2 pairs of gloves?

I am going to Panorama in Canada this year and I'm worried it will be much colder - any suggestions of decent pieces of kit would be appreciated! Very Happy

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silk inner socks and inner gloves can help.
Falke socks, Hestra gloves (though other brands are frequently recommended).
And stop frequently to warm up, particularly to get boots warm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for the advice Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
v1cky24, I don't find extra socks a problem, as long as they don't wrinkle up and get uncomfortable in the boot. I definitely recommend the mittens you can buy with gloves already inside though. If your body is cold put another layer on - there aren't any rules except to enjoy it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
v1cky24, Longjohns are a good idea, check out the Uniqlo HeatTech thermals www.uniqlo.co.uk, use them as base layers.
My daughter had problems with cold hands and we bought her mittens, which solved the problem. For socks try Bridgedale
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
v1cky24, an expensive, but nice solution for cold feet is the electric thingies which are fitted inside. Do you have your own boots?

Better quality mittens, maybe, with silk inners. What sort of mittens do you have?

Also, avoid any non-wicking layers. So if your T shirt layer is a cotton one, keep it for apres ski.

If you body is warm your extremities will be helped, too - so maybe another light layer? A close fitting merino wool is good.

Also, though it might be too late for this year, maybe consider late seasons skiing. I have one v cold friend who wouldn't dream of going anywhere in a normal January - especially Canada. Mid to late March in France/Italy/Austria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
walk rather than taking the lift wink

I find this problem hard to identify with as my problem is usually getting too warm. I second Pam w's notion though - keep your core extra warm and your extremities will not tend to get as cold.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A gilet to help keep your core temperature up... If your core is toasty warm, your extremities will be warmer.
Merino wool base layers.
For when it gets really cold I have a pair of overmitts - they're made of thin waterproof shell material, and they spend most of their time rolled up in my pocket, but when it gets really cold they're brilliant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SaraJ,
Quote:

Merino wool base layers
Yes. I bought a very thin merino mid-layer at S&R Hemel yesterday, because I was too cold on the slope. It made a massive difference.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
v1cky24 wrote:
I've only been skiing once last year (to Winter Park) and it was fairly cold on a couple of days (-17degrees c was about the coldest day on the slopes I think).

This particular day was a bit of a write off in terms of skiing because I was cold and miserable. I will have been wearing something like

Did you have a full, full breakfast that day?

Quote:

If this t-shirt made any difference whatsoever under the microfleece, it means wind is getting IN your jacket. Get a better jacket. Get a more windproof fleece.

Quote:

A micro fleece

What weight ?

Thicker fleece top, more windproof fleece top and even a down vest might be options here. Certainly microfleece bottoms over the base layer are to consider.

Quote:

Hat

What sort? I've worn fur-lined ones down to -30 but knit ones or microfleece ones tend to be rather useless. Helmets work to -30 also.

Quote:

My hand and feet were particularly cold - I read somewhere that you should only wear one pair of socks, so presumably I should invest in some decent ones. Can anyone recommend any for me?

Boot gloves on the outside of the boot are very useful at -20C and below.

Quote:

Also, my fingers suffered quite badly. How do you guys keep your hands warm? I only had one pair of mittens on, nothing inside - should I use 2 pairs of gloves?

Good mittens AND By keeping the core and head warm. I will second the overmitt suggestion.

To sum up:

1) Better microfleece top, 300-weight or higher, with windproof facings. Consider better jacket. Consider down vest. Consider jacket with zip-in down liner. Consider wearing microfleece top or down vest over salopettes.

2) Microfleece bottoms to go over the base layer bottoms, want high degree of motion here, so Polartec PowerStretch material or similar.

3) Better hat (or helmet) and overmitts.

4) Eat.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
v1cky24 wrote:

A base layer top and pants
A micro fleece
My jacket and salopettes
One pair of socks & mittens
Hat
Snood/neckwarmer thing

I am going to Panorama in Canada this year and I'm worried it will be much colder - any suggestions of decent pieces of kit would be appreciated! Very Happy

Thanks!

1. Neck gaiter;
2. Wrist warmers;
3. Boot heaters.

Your heat is being lost through the neck, wrists and feet. Big veins are located there. Cover them up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, you "cover up" your feet with boot heaters? You must have an unusually talented bootfitter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
v1cky24, Lidls are doing their cashmere range of thermals at the moment - leggings and tops - they are a bit 'fluffy', but are lovely and warm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of good suggestions here - Falke socks, Icebreaker base layer and Hestra gloves work for me.

Also - to get feet warm at the start of the day, do a couple of energetic blues or reds with lots of short turns. Keep the boots fairly loose and the blood gets pumped round and warms hands & feet.

I find that thin / thick socks do not make any difference to warmth - I go with v. thin for better fit and fewer pinch points.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski in Canaada a lot and I am a very cold person............

These things help me:
good mittens with separately purchased liner gloves. Never over gloves- your fingers need each other to keep warm.
boot heaters (really really recommend - revolutionised my life.
more layers than you describe- ditch the T shirt swap for good quality fleece
Jacket has those wrist black stretchy extensions (are these called wrist warmers?)
Helmet and under helmet balaclava
Face mask (essential)
Smart wool socks

I have survived way colder than -17C with these.

This year I have invested in 260 weight ice breaker as well- we'll see how that goes.

When are you going to Panorama?
snow report
I've seen seppos with neoprene over boots though IMV strategic deployment of duct tape can help keep out cooling drafts. Layer up more - down mitts if necessary
snow conditions
Make sure your gloves/mittens and boots are completely dry before you put them on in the morning...
latest report
gryphea, I second a thin headcover - balaclava or buff under the helmet. Always keeps me toasty. Also, although it probably doesn't have much in the way of insulation properties where it should count I always find that if I'm wearing a jacket with a fluffy/fleece like lining to the collar so you feel it around your neck that it helps to give you the impression that you are warm and cosy. Also, I find the harder I work whilst skiing the warmer I get, but I chill quickly once I stop, even if I keep covered up and I always put that down to a lack of calories. Hence as indicated above I would also keep topped up with choccy bars stashed in your coat pockets.
snow report
gryphea wrote:
more layers than you describe- ditch the T shirt swap for good quality fleece

I'll second that - was the first thing that jumped out when reading through your attire. Lose the T-shirt and put a decent full weight fleece over the micro fleece. Will keep your core, and therefore your extremities, much warmer.
snow conditions
As a skinny person who pretty much always has cold hands/feet day to day I should be able to be of some help! Coldest I've skied in has been -30 and I was fine.

1. Stay out of the wind! The wind is a real killer, head into the trees and ski lower runs. Make sure your outer gear is windproof too.

2. Avoid uncovered chairlifts if you can, often I can be fine skiing but sitting doing nothing on a chair can get cold pretty quick. A good tip here to lay your poles across you and clamp with your arm rather than holding onto them with your hand, gripping poles for a time = cold hands very fast!

3. Mittens are better than gloves for warmth. You already use these so try glove liners underneath. You can also get packets to put in yoru gloves that release heat for a while.

4. Make sure you have a neck tube, this stops any warmth escaping from your collar and covers your face/ears under you goggles. ANY exposed skin will hurt like hell. (you already have one though)

5. Make sure you do your boots up correctly! Most people that get cold feet do up the lower 2 buckles far too tightly, you only want a light amount of force required for them to snap closed. The top 2 + power strap should be as tight as you can get them. Wearing extra socks will mess up the fit of the boot and cause the same issue as doing them lower buckles up too tight.

6. Layer as much as you can. Trapped air between layers really helps warmth, don't skimp on quality, look at patagonia etc. Cotton as a base layer is very bad, if you sweat *at all* when you are skiing you will freeze to death on the lift/when you stop.

7. Make sure you have eaten enough beforehand but a full stomach when skiing isn't good since your body is working on absorbing food to blood goes away from extremities.

8. Ski really hard, physical activity is the best at keeping your warm.

9. Avoid January which seems to be the coldest month in most places

With no wind, -17 should be no problem at all. I've been skiing and noticed my skis were a little slower, looked at the temp and seen -18 - it was my skis that made me check not how cold I felt.
latest report
Make sure you eat, as well as what most people overlook with cold - keep hydrated. There is an argument (don't ask me the logic behind it) that inner gloves are actually detrimental in terms of keeping your hands warm. Invest in some good mittens. I always find the best way to keep feet warm is simply staying very active, shorter lifts and short radius turns down with few or no breaks. Even take your skis off and do some warm up excercises like you would in any other sport if it was cold.

Have fun in Panorama, when are you going? It is quite likely to get below -17 I'm afraid!
snow report
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions!!

I'm going to Panorama in December so I'm quite sure it is going to be colder than last year.

The breakfast thing might help me actually, I most likely didn't have anything substantial as I don't eat much in the morning!!

The day that I was cold did involve being stuck hanging around etc because I was in a lesson waiting for people to catch up etc, I guess that won't have helped will it?

I have my own boots which did have a heating system of some sort attached to the footbeds, however, I've had to scrap this and have a custom one fitted sadly Sad

My mittens were from TKmaxx and are level ones?? I don't know if these are any good or not, I am happy to shell out for a better pair though. I think I'll have a look for some hestra ones.

My microfleeces are nike ACG - again, don't know if these are any good or not! Embarassed
ski holidays
v1cky24, Not eating much breakfast is probably the largest contributory factory to you feeling cold. Push yourself to do the works for brekky - its even worth missing first lift for. Do in hot savoury food, croissants, cake/bready/toasty materials, lots of jam, hot drinks, 'Danish' pastries etc. consciously go 'calorie loading' and make sure you work on sugars for instant energy first thing and a fair helping of starchy stuff as this will 'burn' during the day. Don't worry about your waistline, if you ski hard enough you will easily burn what you eat and more.

N.B. I note your wearing list did not include a helmet - at the risk of mentioning the H word (you've got nearly 60 posts so you must realise the implications of bringing up the H topic Laughing ), even if you don't wear one predominately for protection most of them have a thick layer of 'polystryrene' like material in them with all the insulation that comes with it. I wear one and add a thin buff/balaclava under it and it really helps keep your head warm - I know there is an argument that the jury is out on how much heat is lost through the head, but I still believe keeping the head warm helps. They often have a fluffy type lining that helps keep with face line where it touches warm too, you might like to try one for keeping warm purposes. Also, don't forget if your jacket has a hood that it might be worth pulling over the head/helmet/hat etc. whilst on long chair lifts.
latest report
v1cky24, you can have heaters fitted to custom footbeds - I have and it makes a real difference Very Happy
latest report
Just skim-read the above, so sorry if this is a duplicate. I find that these are slim enough to go inside my gloves and still enable me to grip my poles.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/MyCoal-Disposable-Hand-Warmers

I have them in the palm area, and they feel really toasty when you grip the pole handle. I row too, they are great inside my shoes on a cold winters morning on the river Cool. You can get the insole sized version - but I haven't tried them.

My wife has heated insoles, the battery pack clips onto the back of the boot - and trousers fit over the top. She loves them.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 8-11-09 23:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
v1cky24 wrote:
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions!!

My microfleeces are nike ACG - again, don't know if these are any good or not! :oops:

Fine for most Euro conditions. Not something I really want to wear to Canada (or to Colorado, either). R3 or R4 patagonia is more like it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy