Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wife ski's on Blades, should I push her into Ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Guys, my wife found it difficult to learn on ski's during her first week skiing so switched to blades. She progressed very quickly on blades (130's not 99's) and now after three years is a very good Blader. The problem is she just cannot keep up with me even though she has good technique and zero fear its all about psysics, on the flats, even when she's egging it, she just runs out of steam and ends up clicking off and walking the last 200m. Now I love her dearly and don't mind waiting (honest) but I'm trying to push her into giving the longer planks a try as I know she'll pick it up instantly as her technique is great, the problem is she refuses to 'give up an of her week' learning again just in case she struggles. What do you think? should I carry on pushing her or just accept she's a blader and let her come to the decision on her own. When I say she's a credible blader I mean she can navigate decent Blacks on an edge and is getting rather good at freestyle too but I won't take her anywhere near off piste as on Blades I know she'd sink like a stone. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure I see a massive difference between a 130cm "blade" and say a 150cm ski. Maybe just get her some poles for the blades for easier skating on the flats or rent her short skis for a day and see how she gets on - if she's really got good technique I can't see the transition being a big issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pryle, When your wife first learnt, did she have lessons? Was it an instructor who suggested she switch to blades? Has she had any more lessons since?

It sounds like she's pretty good with the blades, but she will get so much more out of skiing. I'm not quite sure what you mean by

Quote:

she refuses to 'give up an of her week' learning again just in case she struggles.

Why not suggests she tries some really short skis to start with - say 145, or 150 (how tall is she?). And suggest she takes a lesson, which is never a waste.

But if she really really doesn't want to then don't push it too much - skiing holidays are meant to be fun after all!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pryle, after a serious illness 3 years ago I was struggling with fitness and confidence issues and thought I probably wouldn't be able to ski again. Someone suggested trying blades (120cm), which were great for me and I spent about 4 weeks using them, getting my confidence and fitness back and really enjoying skiing again. I started to realise the shortcomings (no pun intended) of blades and felt ready to go back to skis. I'm now on rossignol attraxion 6 154cm (ok not that long given that I'm 5ft 7in) and am skiing better than ever Very Happy

I agree with beanie1, see if she'll try some short (for her height) skis, she sounds like she's pretty good on the blades and having got the technique and confidence on them I don't think it'll be that big a transition. Don't push her though, just some gentle encouragement. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Wife ski's on Blades, should I push her into Ski's" - or a tree Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys, she's only 5ft anyway so the ski's wont get dramiatically longer but I'll try a bit of gentle persuasion once were there. I could Always burn off and leave her to catch up to prove my point (only kidding), the problem I have with the blades she uses is that they are old and still have the non release bindings on them and I'd hate to think of her falling at speed in those leg wreckers. I priced up some quick release bindings for them but for the price I might as well buy her some cheapish 150's. I think I'll rent a pair for the day so she can choose herself but fingers crossed eh! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

hould I carry on pushing her or just accept she's a blader

am i missing something here? she is your wife and therefore must obay you Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ha ha, you obviously know her!! Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acyually, read that wrong, she does as she wants, any attempt to tell her what she should do ends in tears, what I will do is make it seem like it was all her idea, then she'll take all the credit for it and scold me for ever suggesting she ski'd on 'Blades' and that how she said all along that proper ski's are the only way to throw yourself down a mountain. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Beanie1 - Pryle, When your wife first learnt, did she have lessons? Was it an instructor who suggested she switch to blades? Has she had any more lessons since?

She had two days of private lessons to begin with but wasn't too happy with the instructor (he took her on a red as her second run) so Myself and my mate taught her, she moved to blades on the 4th day and fell in love with the ease of them although we made sure she didn't just chuck herself about like a moron on them. She's now at a competant level and actively seeks out tricky runs so I'm quite proud of her.

Another problem we have is her sister who's also coming with us this year, she's had one week of skiing (thank God on proper ski's) and has the basics nailed down (although sh still ploughs when turning left), saying that she nailed Blues and a couple of reds in her first week so I was quite impressed (last year in Val Thorens). She's looking to book a few private lessons this year (going to ADH at New Year) and I hear a few of the local instructers are good (mainly Masterclass and Stance) but she thinks the prices for private lessons are a bit steep (£70 per hour) what do you guys reckon? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An 2 of private lessons in a week =£140 = less than a lift pass. If it doubles the amount of enjoyment you can get from a lift pass in future then its money well spent.

However I do think customers have to be quite demanding of themselves and their instructor if they are shelling out for private lessons - no-one wants an "it was ok" kind of result.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me and my bud have been skiing for 15 years now and have taught around 20 people to ski (new people came each year as there was a large group of us before marraige and all that!!) what still tickles me is that when I tell my sister to do something or try to help her with her technique she ignores me falls over then screams that I'm the Anti-Christ. However when a handsome French instructor tells her exactly the same thing, she coo's and does as she's told, coming out of the private lesson telling me about all the wonderful things she's learned!! I'll teach males anyday thankyou very much!! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pryle wrote:
when I tell my sister to do something or try to help her with her technique she ignores me falls over then screams that I'm the Anti-Christ.
There's a thread about that somewhere - the teaching of nearest-and-dearest bit, not that you're the anti-Christ wink .

What they all said - get her to try out some shorty-turny fellas and her technique should transfer easily enough, then with confidence in place she can try proper skiing and always revert to blading (whatever THAT is Confused) if she feels out of her comfort zone.

Failing that, tell her that last one home get the pies. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Wife ski's on Blades, should I DIVORCE her

Much more important aspect to this.
snow report
Get this, the missus recently said that the best place she'd been skiing was Pas de la Casa which baffled me a bit, don't get me wrong Pas is good for Apres but the runs are too congested unless you go over the mountain. As I sat and pondered this for a few minutes she then told me that she especially liked Sally's, try as I might I couldn't remember a bar resteraunt or run in Pas or Soldeu so asked what Sallys was! Its the sodding Duty Free perfume shop the shallow cow, still I bought her christmas present from there two years ago (told her it was from Debs!). Women! snowHead
snow report
Pryle wrote:
she refuses to 'give up an of her week' learning again

Get her a couple of lessons at Chill Factore - only down the road from you and no time lost on holiday?
ski holidays
Pryle, I hope she doesn't read this forum - or that she's got a really good sense of humour...

Peering into my crystal ball I see for you trips to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Courmayeur, Davos, Zermatt, Lech and the like...
latest report
Quote:

I'd hate to think of her falling at speed in those leg wreckers.

Fully agree. 130cms with non-releasing bindings and she's only 5'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If she's really keen to stay short, she might enjoy something like the Atomic 123 skiboards. We have some of the Decathlon (Wedze) version and having skied those, and the original short (99cm) Salomon Blades, and a range of ordinary skis, I can say with confidence that short skis are much more like skis than like blades (ie in the way they feel on your feet). And of course they have proper bindings.

Most hire places have them - and they're actually shorter than what she's using now. It shouldn't take any "relearning" whatsoever, and her risk of a spiral fracture will be much reduced. I have a young French friend who only skis on blades but after getting one of those he now skis on blades with proper bindings. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
130s with non-releasable bindings? I was sure the maximum permissible was 99.9?
ski holidays
Pryle wrote:
me even though she has good technique and zero fear its all about psysics, on the flats, even when she's egging it, she just runs out of steam and ends up clicking off and walking the last 200m./

You might want to wax those a bit better :lol:
snow conditions
One of my ski buddies was on blades (120s with releasable bindings) for years - finally switched back to skis last season and picked it up really easily.

But although we'd hinted it would be a plan with some benefit as we were going off piste more and more, it was for him to conclude for himself really.

... though you could buy her a nice pair of skis for xmas Smile
ski holidays
Pryle, I'm surprised that 130's have non-release bindings. These days there are so many release bindings made especially for short skis/snowblades/skiboards, I would say that on the grounds of safety alone, if she wants to stay with 130's, get her into ones with release bindings!

My husband moved to 120's when his arthritic knees couldn't take longer length skis, he has never had a problem keeping up with our 2 "boy-racer" sons, but they only ski on piste. We've been told that switching 2 wider models has the same affect as a longer length - still keeping the nice small radius feel, but they float better. I've used blades for years, but then I'm just looking to enjoy; not keep up with anyone, go off piste or ski blacks. You could contact these guys and explain the problem, they seem to think these 130 Skiboards do it all. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=sprucesherpa&Category_Code=skiboards
latest report
If your lady is only 5ft, (which is 150cm) then a 150 long ski would generally be considered too long these days.

130 would only be a 'little' short in terms of normal skis. Her ski ought to be a 140, 145 at most, not a 150. If you're pushing her for 150 and she refuses, in my very humble opinion she is damn right!

What you should worry about is the non-release bindings... I rather have a lady enjoying herself on 130's with release bindings then 150's staying home.

As for the ability to keep up on runouts. Even if she'd use 180 long candlesticks i'd worship her on my bare knees if she'd keep up with a much heavier bloke. Her weight vs air resistance is just that much in her disadvantage.
snow report
Ronald, Couldn't agree more, I know so many women who gave up because full lengths skis (no matter how much coaching they had) terrified them - better to have her there with you on blades than at home. When ski instructors tried to talk me out of blades, I told them I'd rather be there on the mountains using a tin tray to get down if I had to, than miss out on such a fantastic experience, so instead of throwing the towel in, I found what made me feel secure and happy - looks like your wife has done the same.
ski holidays
At least they are "long" blades so have so flex to take some of strain than blades usually inflict upon knee joints.

If she's comfortable with them then it's difficult to argue constructively. On the otherhand there are aches and pains with strains to knees, difficultly is stopping due to lack of edge etc then maybe considering alternatives such as the I143cm celantic Scout http://www.icelanticskis.co.uk/skis/0910-scout/ would be a positive step.

On balance providing it's not a safety issue for your wife although for me it would be, I'd concur with Ronald "I rather have a lady enjoying herself on 130's with release bindings then 150's staying home."

I hope you both have a fantastic and safe season.
snow report
Guys, took your advice and we bought some new Rossgnol 'the mini' short skis at 130cm with quick release bindings. We went to chill factor to try them out over the weekend and she had a fantastic time on them. At least my mind is at ease now due to the quick release bindings and to be fair she was absolutely flying on them. Very Happy
latest report
Pryle, great!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pryle, brill Smile
latest report
Isn't the answer to this, well you could do, but it will make one hell of a 'clatter' and probably annoy the owners of the skis?
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Isn't the answer to this, well you could do, but it will make one hell of a 'clatter' and probably annoy the owners of the skis?

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
In the words of Dolly Parton.. D-I-V-O-R-C-E
snow conditions
Jivebaby, read the thread title word for word, then Megamum's reply. snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
mfj197, Yes it took me a while to go back and work that out.

Is that becos:
a) I am a bloke or b) suffering from altitude sickness from last weeks trip to Tignes? Cool
snow conditions
Pryle, Great news - glad it's all sorted!
ski holidays
Now all you need is for your wife to push you into English punctuation lessons Laughing
snow report
Now you're just making me jealous Jivebaby!
latest report
Yoda, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy