Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help for new years !!!!!!! Ideas needed or does anyone want to share ect.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
New to this forum and delighted I fumbled across it. Basically I'm a intermediate boarder who's had the bug for about 4/5 years, managed 3 breaks away last year but never made it for new years so this year thats my mission.

My simple problem is normally theres the usual group I'd go with but this year there ether working jobs that they cant get hol's from or unemployed and broke !

The reason I'm a little panicked is with work I have the 23rd of dec to the 5th of jan off but its unlikely I'll be able to take hol's until April so I need to get things booked asap. I need advice on where I can fly to with ryanair ( as ski gear is free until the 13th of nov) and a resort that has some type of dormed hostel ect to keep things on the cheap Very Happy unless someone is interested in splitting a room or looking for someone to make up numbers in a group.

I've been to france, italy, poland and czech republic so would like somewhere new. My current plan is fly from dublin (maybe to stansted) and on to girona(barcelona) and get the bus to andorra and see if i can find something when i arrive as I cant find anywhere under 800 on line. Or if I'm stuck head back to zakopane in poland as I can get that for 600 euro ish all in.......................

I normally do all the planning and hate leaving stuff to chance, thats why I'm looking for advice Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Not too worried about where i go once theres snow and I don't have to drive. Any suggestions or ideas ?

Budget is about 800 euro / 650 pounds ish for flights transit and somewhere to stay

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gav88, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You sound like an ideal candidate for UCPA - French sports organisation - you can book direct with them or through the British operator action-outdoors.co.uk

they do all in holidays including pass and tuition, you are guaranteed plenty of company on the slopes and off. They have a range of centres but I'd guess that for New Year they are getting pretty booked up, so don't delay.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads Gav88, snowHead

Saving money and skiing over the holiday period don't tend to sit well together.
Prices over Christmas though, tend to be a lot cheaper than over New Year and all the more so this year as the typical return day falls on Boxing day. Only problem is, you don't have the full Xmas week off rolling eyes
If you're prepared to DIY it though, IMO there's a reasonable chance of getting something mid-week to mid-week over Xmas as you'd be freeing the place up to sell to someone for the more expensive few days over new year.

Of course, at the other end of the season, there's still plenty of good skiing to be had in April, as many snowHeads prove every year at the EoSB Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi and welcome to snowHead Gav88, I know its France and you've been before but there is this place in Tignes for cheapish Hostal type Accomodation http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-prices.html but i'm not sure what price flights and transfers would be at that time of year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Gav88, I am pretty much in the same situation as yourself. I was hoping to get some boarding in during my compulsary xmas/new year hols between 24th dec and 4th jan.

I have been to france twice but was looking to somewhere different this time. Not too bothered where I end up going but was looking for places where the lift ques wouldnt take too long as it is the busiest time of year. Ive been looking at hostel and b&b type accommodation to keep cost down and so I can stay longer than 7 nights (was hoping to get 11 or 12).

I am intermediate boarder been to france twice and Scotland heaps. (Flights would be from Scotland for me.) Get back to me if you want to try and sort something out etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi again, thanks for the advice.

I was looking at http://holidays.ucpa.com/programme.aspx?univers=10&programme=SFAARGN13&tri=prix_appel&page=1 but still not too over the moon about it.
Slide away any places in mind ? :-/ I'm the same really just looking for reasonable ques and a decent atmosphere for a few pints.

Found this place in andorra la vella (http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/AAE-Nuria-Andorra/Andorra-la-Vella/23736) 3 bed for 400 euro, 200 each . Only thing is i think you would have to get a bus to the ski lifts as I dont think theres any in the town . The bus from girona (barcelona) is 40ish euro return and ryanair have good prices at the mo.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just found this, 14 minutes by gondola to the slopes http://www.ski-europe.com/resorts/andorralavella.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gav88, Welcome to snowHead 's.
Try Chalets Direct "Solutions Room" and see if someone offers you a deal you cannot refuse.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
this looks good too http://www.chaletarc.co.uk/ thanks for sending me in the direction of Chalets Direct "Solutions Room" dallypaul 19 pound a night is fantastic for new years week. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed in chalet arc last year and had a great time! The only reason I am reluctant to go back is that the les arcs and Peisey Vallandry was expensive! Probably average with the rest of france but it would have worked out cheaper if we had just gone with a travel agent all inc by the time we paid for flights, transfer, lift pass. The pints were about 5.50 euro in vallandry nearest pub. Plus we had to buy our breakfast, lunch and dinners on the mountain or the local shops (which were expensive too) and cook back in the hostel.

I was hoping to go somewhere cheaper for new year, because I might be going away with some mates to slovakia in January too. Had a look at some places in austria because there seems to be plenty of hostel and b&b accommodation for around £20 pn, and pints food etc are cheaper Im told. Just need to check out the resorts they were near to make sure they get snow early in the season. Will get on to that tomo, been out all day and buisy tonight. I have emailed a lot of these places so I'll wait and see what they get back to me with.

I wouldnt mind heading to andorra either I will check out that place tomo it sounds good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slide away wrote:
I stayed in chalet arc last year and had a great time! The only reason I am reluctant to go back is that the les arcs and Peisey Vallandry was expensive! Probably average with the rest of france but it would have worked out cheaper if we had just gone with a travel agent all inc by the time we paid for flights, transfer, lift pass. The pints were about 5.50 euro in vallandry nearest pub. Plus we had to buy our breakfast, lunch and dinners on the mountain or the local shops (which were expensive too) and cook back in the hostel.

Last season ski-beat & esprit were doing late deals which were cracking to Peisey-Vallandry - so yes they might have been cheaper than travelling independently - but that's not a factor of PV or Les Arcs. 5.50 euro for a beer - you were drinking in the wrong bar, 3.00 is the cheapest and 5 is more usually the case. Lift passes are the same wherever you buy them, and yep Paradiski isn't cheap but then you get 425km of well maintained pistes with a great lift network.

Given the OP want's to travel over new-year then they're going to struggle to find late avail deals - for example Ski Beat are at £1,000 excluding any kit hire and lift pass so realistically you'd be looking at £1350 before any in resort costs (lunch beer etc) and that's only for a week. Alternatively if you travel independently then something like http://www.tignes.co.uk/SkiBusUK.htm will do a cheap return trip to Bourg St. Maurice and from there it's possible to skiish to Chaletarc - take the gondola upto 1600 and then ski across to Peisey-Vallandry and bus down the hill. Ok so you'll have to do your own shopping but I don't think the Sherpas are stupidly expensive - yes they are more than SuperU, but it's not silly money for a bag of cereal and some milk or a pain au chocolat (for brekkie). For lunch then the arpette does a good range of choice for 10 euro - or the buffet at Au Pre Gourmand (pre st. esprit) is likewise and on New years day then Kebab King in 1800 will sort out that hangover nicely.

But there are other good options on this thread - a lot of which can get you a couple of weeks for less than the cost of a 1-week with a TO
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
see this is the thing, i'm hooked on poland, super cheap (less then a euro a pint) super nice people and as its still a little unknown to the uk and ireland ect, theres only 5% non polish on the slopes making it nice and quiet. For some reason my heart is set on somewhere new for newyears and poland for a couple weekend breaks i think

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-11-09 16:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gav88, Check your private messages.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
all done and dusted, booked and paid ! thanks everyone fantastic help
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy