Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone let me know if I can take my ski boots as hand luggage on Easyjet this winter? I cannot find anything saying NO on their website.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skilegs, I think it's as much down to security at the particular airports as the airline.Some such as Grenoble have a strict no boots and helmets in hand luggage policy. Others seem to be down to how the security guy feels that day, A search will probably find something about the airports you are using.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skilegs, Colin B is right. As crew, we don't have any guidelines about people bringing on boots - if security lets them, they're in! I've often had boots thrown into lockers and wondered about the damage they'd cause if they fell out, as I've moved them to secure them rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Earlier this year two members of the group I was with took boots as hand luggage on easyjet from east midlands ok, but on the way back from Geneva one of them wasn't allowed to take them as hand luggage. Weird.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have just spoken to EasyJet who tell me it is fine to take ski boots as hand luggage from any of their airports as long as the luggage is of the approved size. So I will risk it as have never had a problem before with any airline worldwide.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B,
Quote:

Some such as Grenoble have a strict no boots and helmets in hand luggage policy.

They had the sign up saying "no boots in handluggage." However they let me through with my boots without a word! They must have been feeling kind that day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just curious. Does anyone know what the reasoning given for not allowing ski boots in hand luggage?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ccl wrote:
Just curious. Does anyone know what the reasoning given for not allowing ski boots in hand luggage?

Profit, if you have to pay to put it in the hold
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, the airline would get the payment though, not security...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michelle, Can you wear them? Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not any more - used to in the early 70s when leaving in a rush!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, that I haven't come across... try it, let us know how you get on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle, Just thinking it would overcome the baggage weight allowances, carry a pair of trainers in hand baggage, do the weighing-in bit, then swap. Toofy Grin

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 7-11-09 12:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is worth repeating that is Airport Security that is not allowing ski boots in hand luggage not the Airlines. It is in fact pot luck if you try to take your boots in hand luggage as it seems in many cases to come down to what side of the bed the Security staff got out of bed on the day you travel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's seems to depend on whether security considers they could be used as a dangerous weapon or not or perhaps whether the secuity are skiers! Obviously a couple of 1.5 litre bottles from duty free with nice necks to use as handles could not be used as weapons!
ski holidays
I haven't read all the threads on this subject (who would?!) but am I right in thinking that the only airport in which people have actually experienced problems when carrying boots in hand luggage, is Grenoble?
snow report
Spyderman, but easyJet don't have a weight limit on hand luggage...
snow conditions
Hurtle, There have been problems at other Airports
ski holidays
riverman, for instance? (So that I know to avoid them! wink)
ski holidays
Hurtle, read the threads
latest report
skilegs, I wouldn't risk it. What they tell you over the 'phone is easily dismissed when you're stood in a queue waiting to come home - been there, done that.
snow report
I think it the same set of blurred rules that won't let you take a 10mm ring spanner, I'll find the link later... but essentially says no heavy objects that can be used as weapon, and includes handtools, etc. and comes down to how the security staff interpret on the day.

But last year Chambery had big signs up and were refusing to let anyone through with boots as hand luggage... One of our group travelled out with them ok but had to check them on the way back, but didn't have to pay, has he'd got through to security when they sent him back... Sad

I've also been caught out at Manchester with Balkan, where they insisted at check in, on an extra charge to take boots as hand luggage. Some people managed to repack in the queue and avoid, but I had small suitcase... Sad

I just pack them now to avoid any hassle.. Very Happy
latest report
riverman wrote:
Hurtle, read the threads
Thanks, very helpful. 'I can't remember' would also have done as a reply. rolling eyes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 7-11-09 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
WayneC, right, I'll try and avoid Chambery and Grenoble. Have no need to use Manchester/Balkan. Thanks.
snow report
Hurtle, To give you the information you asked I would have to read all the hand luggage threads which as you say above who would?
snow conditions
Michelle wrote:
Spyderman, that I haven't come across... try it, let us know how you get on Toofy Grin

You've never been working a flight I've been on Wink . When I skied always in touring boots I frequently wore them on the plane, so I could pack everything in just my carry on and skibag. No problem ever on BA, fine several times on EJ, but was once forced to take them off as I boarded an EJ plane, as the trolly dolly said it it was "company policy", but she was more than happy for them to be in the overhead locker. Probably wouldn't want to wear full alpine boots - I'm perfectly happy running if necessary in touring boots, but it's a bit more dicey in alpines.

IIRC the airports that have been reported here as having problems with boots in hand luggage are:
Grenoble
Chambery
Bristol
Liverpool - depending on the phase of the moon rolling eyes

Airports I've taken them in hand baggage with no problem have been:
(2008/9)
LHR
LGW
Geneva
Munich
Zurich
Olso
Tromso
(previous years)
Lyon
Innsbruck
Turin
Luton
Stansted
ski holidays
GrahamN, fantastic. Can someone make that answer a stickie? Actually, your answer has turned this whole thread into a useful stickie. God willing, we could be spared further 'boots in hand luggage' threads. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle, I'm not sure a stickie would help all that much as the information seems to change pretty quickly. I reckon it'll change again as soon as the season proper gets underway - either Grenoble and Chambery will get with the program or everyone else will start to follow their annoying lead... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ChrisWo, oh dear, you're probably right. Sad
snow report
Changing the subject slightly !!! SIZE of hand luggage.

I have a small wheelie (soft) holdall which is perhaps 50mm to big in one dimension to fit in the Easyjet hand luggage test cage, will I get away with it ???, if not I suspose you have to pay for it to go in the hold Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
thunderer, If it doesn't fit in the box it doesn't go as hand baggage. Simples.
As it's squishy, as long as you can get the bag in the cage it's OK.
snow conditions
thunderer, can you get it down to size using some kind of compressions straps? My rucksack is a little large when packed, so I take off the lid and cinch down the compressions straps and then it fits fine (including my boots inside Wink ).
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
thunderer, If it doesn't fit in the box it doesn't go as hand baggage. Simples.
As it's squishy, as long as you can get the bag in the cage it's OK.

Their T&C do say it must fit in the cage "without forcing".

Which means it will depend on the mood of the check in person on the day Sad
snow report
Thankyou, I was trying to estabilsh if the bag was only slightly too big was there every any comprimise !!!???, Whenever I fly everboby seems to have massive bags that look like they would never have fitted in the cage.
latest report
thunderer, whilst in some places the ground staff are very flexable (eg Italy rolling eyes ), in others they follow the rules to a T. If your bag doesn't fit, they'll take it and charge you. If you're a lady, make sure that your handbag will fit in. They can be very fierce about the one bag rule.

Quote:

ONE BAG ONLY
one piece of hand luggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm

Important Information Update
A ladies hand bag or laptop case is counted as one piece of hand baggage and no other hand baggage will be allowed onboard

Failure the comply:
If you fail to comply with our policies we reserve the right to refuse travel.
If you exceed your allowance, you are required to check additional and / or oversized bag(s) into the hold at check-in or at the gate. You will be charged a fee of £16 (current standard airport charge) per item at the boarding gate prior to boarding the aircraft.

Although restrictions are being relaxed at some UK airports, easyJet will not consider changing its hand baggage policy until the rules and procedures at the majority of UK airports become clearer and more consistent.

There is no weight restriction although easyJet does apply a reasonable limit — i.e. you must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

details taken from easyJet site

It may seem a bit too strict, but you just wouldn't believe the delays that have occured because of hand luggage.... there's only so much that can be fitted safely into the cabin!
latest report
thunderer wrote:
Whenever I fly everboby seems to have massive bags that look like they would never have fitted in the cage.

Most ground staff (oh - by the way, all are sub-contracted wink ) are human Toofy Grin some will use discretion, some will ignore the rule, others are so fierce you keep away from. So, the upshot is we get some flights where the passengers all come on with great (for us crew wink ) amount of hand luggage. You get others where we stand gasping wondering where we're going to fit it all. Then delays occur because there just isn't the room and we end up having to tag those last ones that come on and put them in the hold. Our life would be easier if we had the fierce ground staff all the time Little Angel
ski holidays
Michelle, A long as there's still room for Gin on board, I'm happy. Laughing
snow conditions
Okay I give in I will either take a small bag and ski in the same clothes all week or just take a hold bag.
snow report
thunderer, you were hoping to ski for a week with just hand luggage Shocked
snow report
what about dublin with ryanair? do they allow ski boots in hand luggage?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy