Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group Lesson, Private Tuition or Learn before you go in the Dome?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to LDA in January for my first ever boarding trip! Going with a group of 10 all of whom are intermediate with a couple being advanced.

In order to get the most out of my trip and not to be left in some random group lesson I was thinking of having some lessons in the dome then seeing how I get on over there and potentially having a couple of 1 on 1 lessons.

Any tips/suggestions on how I am best suited to getting to a level quickly where I can at least attempt to keep up with the people who have been a few times before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ronjonny, welcome to Snowheads. Quite a few people have posted on here having done a "Learn to Board in a Day" course at one of the snowdomes (including me). Well worth doing, but definitely not instead of lessons out there. If you're a fast learner, a day in a dome plus couple of 1 on 1 lessons, plus a high pain threshold, should see you able to keep up if your mates don't try to go too fast.

A regular Snowhead - easiski - teaches skiing in LDA. She doesn't do boarding but can recommend an excellent instructor. You could send her a private message, maybe. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ronjonny, hi there, good to hear you're going on your first riding trip ever - expect it to hurt but if you persevere you'll love it.

We've had some clients come out after doing the 'Learn to Board in a Day' courses, some do really well and it gives them a great start but many of them come out with a false idea of how well they will do on the mountain and find it hasn't been much use at all. That nugget probably doesn't help you at all!!! If you've got the money do a one day course but more importantly, prebook a couple of private lessons for the first 2 mornings of you holiday, then you can practise what you learn in the afternoon.

Also, don't put too much pressure on yourself to keep up with friends that are intermediate or advanced riders, because if they really are intermediate and advanced riders you won't keep up! You'll enjoy your holiday a lot more if you concentrate on learning at your pace, ask them to join you for a couple of cruising runs now and then, meet them for lunch, then do your stuff while they go further afield, then meet them for beer!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ronjonny, Anything you can do in the UK can only help. A dome would be good or to make a start even a dry slope will allow you to get the feel for side slipping and edge control.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ronjonny, welcome to Snowheads.

If you're going with a group of intermediates then I'd def recommend doing a beginners' course in the UK first, followed by as many practice sessions are you can afford / have time for. You will most likely still need to have lessons in resort, but you should progress much more quickly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get some basics laid down over here (as others said as much as you can afford) and I'm sure a few, if not all, will hang around on some easier slopes with you and try to help you advance (even if it's not technique perfect to the BASI handbook wink ).

If they wont wait I'd consider getting some new mates! Whenever I've took newcomers on the hill they always want to try the harder stuff sooner then they are ready...of course we let them try and then laugh at there attemps to get down a tricky red!

Having said that it always amazes me how many novices take to the steep stuff and often come off saying they prefer reds to blue or greens! The learning curve really does steepen after you've got the basics, enjoy! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

a few, if not all, will hang around on some easier slopes with you

tell them (if they're not that good) that it will be a good opportunity for them to learn to ride switch. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ronjonny, Dome, Dome , Dome. My then 12 yr old had 3 fast track lessons at Castleford lasy year (group lessons and quite cheap) which got him slowly turning left and right. After 2 days practising on the terrific Santa Croce run in Pedraces he was hooning around the Sella Ronda. Omn the last day he even beat be down the GranRisa into la Villa (oK no great achievement beating me, but a long and steep run all the same).
Rather embarrassing that at 13 he can ski better than me and board better than I can ski Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
or tell them it's a good opportunity to learn to ski!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup - if you can get all your basics sorted in the dome first as it'll maximise your time on the mountain later.

I did levels 1-2 combined at Tamworth, 3-4 combined at MK. I never bothered with level 5 as I'd already nailed linking turns, i just went straight into doing a couple of 2 hour recreational sessions.

When I got to the mountain I was in a similar situation as I was with a group of early intermediates who were happy to take it easy at first for me, so I just went straight up the mountain with them and started doings blues, moving on to easy reds. Like many others (boarders) I found progression to steep reds quite easy, but struggled with blatting across the flats.

That said I took alot of falls and bruises in that first week (normally on flat stretches) and to be honest by the end of my next holiday (because I never had any more lessons) I realised I could ride pretty much any piste on the mountain but I was sloppy and had picked up bad habits which then took me a while to correct.

If I did it all again I'd try and have a couple of additional lessons on the mountain on something like days 1 and 3 of my first couple of weeks of riding, to ensure I progressed with a good technique. The benefit of hindsight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ronjonny, Board in a day is well worth it. I would advise getting a few practice sessions in after to consolidate what you learned.
I could only turn onto my heel edge by the end of the session but got the toe edge sorted after 2 or 3 runs with fresh legs the next time I went.
I found knee pads and impact shorts a great help. I used to land on the same part of my right knee every time before I got my toe edge sorted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ditto, plus make sure you have some recreational sessions to make progress. As a heads up, I was somewhat taken aback on my first ride on a real piste, because I'd got quite comfotable indoors at Tamworth and was completely unprepared for the hollows and bumps of the real world. I think the X-scapes are a little better for this as they seem to have a bit more depth of snow (but I still love Tamworth). Enjoy!.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt at MK snowdome about 8 years ago. I wouldnt suggest board in a day - unless you are really fit and even then your gonna use muscles you didnt know you had! I think its just too much in one day, but thats just me.
I did a couple of 3 hour group lessons to get me recreational standard then did a few hours on the main slope to get some confidence up before going on holiday. One thing for sure, and I have skiied and boarded, boarding has a very painful learning curve, but it doesnt take too long to get the hang of it, and is amazing fun once you do!
Also not sure which dome your looking at or whether you shop at Tesco, but Tesco clubcard vouchers can be used at the Snozones for lessons etc.

Good luck and hope you have a brilliant holiday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My mate had the exact same idea last season. He was a complete beginner and we are beginner/intermediate. He thought he would go to Mk and do a crash course then he'll be riding with us all over the mountain. Didn't work.

What happened was that he got fed up with the course and left after the 7 hours losing the last hour. He was tired and just wasn't learning anymore. On the mountain tho he learnt much better as there wasn't many people in the way and 1 on 1. After 2 mornings he was fairly competent and we met up at various points on the mountain. Whether or not the MK lessons helped he couldn't say but it was much more enjoyable on the mountain (and cheaper).
ski holidays
I did a learn-in-a-day at Landgraaf, which was excellent. I'm certainly not 'really fit' and it was fine. Pretty tiring, but fine.

I enjoyed myself, but as I said elsewhere I think in many ways it can be depressing (and expensive) for your first time to be in one of those indoor domes. May as well be out in the fresh air and scenery and that.
latest report
I think it is worth learning how to put on your board, fall properly, walk with one foot in etc and a bit of edge control before heading to the snow, even if it is on the plastic stuff
snow conditions
If you have the chance, it is well worth the money to get the basics in a snow dome before you go to the mountains. Saves a lot of pain in the first few days. Dry slopes not my thing but if you have nothing else then give them a go but do not let them put you off after a bad fall. Carpets hurt more than soft snow, but icy slopes hurt even more. One word of advice, always wear as much protection as you can. Makes your first week on the mountain much more pleasant.
snow report
Yes to everything, and don't forget the antiinflammatories!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy