Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ste Foy Snow Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Now we have what looks like a dusting at resort level is Stevo out there to give us a real at the scene report , have we had much mid mountain ? I really enjoyed your early season reports and photos last year and look forward to the same again before I can get out at New Year .

I know I wasn't the only one !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will all be tracked out by the New Year Rob!!!! See you soon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all,

I'm back in Scotland at the moment, snow reports will start at the beginning of December when I get back out there!

Just been checking the webcam myself, but it seems to be stalled some time in September... Sad

FWIW, it snowed down to resort level on about the 17th of October, officially the first flakes of the season! Totally spoiled the continuity of my on-going bike video project: http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/mtbvideo.htm

Stevo
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for checking in Stevo and Hi Graham , Stevo I'm looking forward to your first report , I suspect after looking at the Various reports from Val and Les Arcs there could be 30cms + above L'Arpettaz with more to follow Sat night , if Nov continues in the same vain we could end up having another cracking start to the season , long range forecast doesn't look too bad !!!

Dirk's 3 webcams are still working , here's the link http://www.sainte-foy.info/?doc=webcams
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stevo , will check out the bike vids .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have it on good authority that some of the locals skinned up today. Desperate to get back now!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apologies for my continued absense from this thread! Got back out to Sainte Foy on Monday night in the middle of a pretty major dump. Trying to drive up the hill with the summer tyres still on the van and the snow chains sitting in the chalet awaiting our return was interesting. Ended up having to phone some friends to come down and rescue us! Further problems as our web connection has been cut off while we've been away, so I've got pretty limited web access for the moment.

Suffice to say, it dumped big time over Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, maybe 30cm at resort level, more higher up. It has snowed heavily again last night/today - another 10cm plus at resort level and still snowing now. Hoping to get up the mountain in some form over the weekend. Pics as soon as I can get back on-line properly!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very pleased to see the return of Stevo , thanks very much for the update , did I see the snow cannons on on the cam ? I had been a bit concerned that they hadn't got them going earlier when the temps had been cold enough .looks like more snow above Plan bois Sun?monday fingers crossed .
Looks like you could be heading for a very cold dry spell , won't do the snow pack any harm .

Looking forward to any pics to make me even more desperate to return .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was up the mountain on Saturday & Sunday. On Saturday I went for a snowshoe wander (need to log a few more days for my IML and it's been "suggested" by the course directors that maybe some of my snowshoe days should not have a snowboard descent...) from our chalet up the new blue run to Plan Bois, then over to the base of the Marquise chair and down through the woods all the way to the Monal bar. Snow was good, light and fluffy, decent cover above Plan Bois. On the way up, there was reasonable snow cover on the new blue run, but the south-facing red down the middle, as always, has some bare bits. Actually enjoyed my day on snowshoes - nice to be out on them with a nice light pack instead of carrying a board, some good tunes on the iPod, generally jumping around like an idiot in the trees. Fun.

Sunday I got the splitboard out and went up to the top of the 2nd lift. Certainly from there upwards, cover and snow conditions are very good. Mild temperatures had made the snow pretty heavy compared to the light fluffiness of Saturday. I rode down the Arpettaz and it was a bit sketchy on the steeper sections. Drainage channels not quite filled-in and had to be careful not to turn too hard to avoid going right through the snowpack. Lost a binding strap while changing my board from up to down mode (dropping a white strap in the snow is not a good idea) then tried to pick my way through an obviously unrideable bit right at the bottom and managed to come down heavily on my coccyx on a big rock. Not happy.

Overall, top half of the mountain is in good shape, bottom half needs a bit more snow but isn't too far away (especially with a bit of grooming). It rained quite heavily last night at the chalet, hopefully snowing not too much further up. More snow forecast for tonight, we'll see where the freezing level ends up.

Still no pics, if anyone's in the area I'm the guy in the Monal sponging off their wifi until I get mine sorted out. Come on France Telecom, get on it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Stevo for the update , hope you didn't have too much rain last night looks like 10cms plus above Plan Bois ? webcam now running .
You mentioned the new blue , have they reworked the Red ( Charmettes ) above Venture ski ? hadn't started when we were there in summer .
Looks V cold next week hope they get the guns going and the snap brings a little snow , doesn't normally reach us from north east .

Wish I was in the Monal nicking their wifi rather than Gloomy Essex , only a little while to go .

Once again many thanks for updates as I know your all very busy preping for start of season .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob - they haven't really changed the Red. The new blue follows the same traverse out to the right as the existing red, then loops a little further out, makes a nice, mellow, wide turn, then rejoins the red at the bottom of the steep bit (can see that junction getting "interesting" if it's not well looked-after!).

It's nothing that's going to change your life, but a really worthwhile addition - the gulf between the green and the 2 reds was always a bit of a problem. The new run is both in the trees and out of the sun as well, so should hold plenty of snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know , my daughter's Fox run on way down and my skinning route on way up , thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Opening weekend conditions - I had a bit of a mare and only managed to get up for a couple of hours over opening weekend (all our guests were supposed to arrive by Eurostar at the same time but ended up turning up 1 or 2 at a time spread over the weekend - some still haven't made it!).

Well, it isn't brilliant. But it isn't terrible either. The snow quality is excellent (it's been incredibly cold here), just cover is a little restricted in a few spots. Above Plan Bois, conditions are pretty good with fast, grippy pistes and good powder off-piste, but the thin base means your taking your life (or at least your kit!) in your hands off-piste.

However, the forecast for the next few days is looking very, VERY, VERY good! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Once again thanks Stevo for the update , keeping fingers crossed for the next few days , looks like the Snow/rain level is going up and down like a scotsmans kilt but should help build the base on and off piste .
Not out till New years eve and then spending the next 10 days getting my youngest ,just 4 , through her first group lessons , would be nice to find some top notch skiing but as long as the runs are filled it can wait till Feb for the proper stuff , 10 days sans Family Guides booked !!!

Will seek you out and buy you a drink over new Year .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
15cm or so last night has improved things a bit and there are now 2 fully-open runs back down to the bottom (the Green and the new Blue). Cret Serru du Bas is still shut though (shame, my favourite place to lay down some big turns).
ski holidays
Looking at the forecast we should get another 30cms+ in the next days even if some of it is rain , then they should have everything open above Plan Bois .
I agree Cret is great for turns , but I've always loved Creux .

Is it busy ? see there's still a bit on offer for New Year ?
snow report
Yeah, Creux de Formeian is unbeatable in good snow!

It's "Sainte Foy busy", which is to say very quiet by any sensible standards.... Some of our Christmas guests haven't made it out at all, wonder how many others have been affected by that.
ski holidays
Sainte Foy busy suits me , sorry to hear some guests haven't arrived thats really crap for them.

Will be watching the cams first thing to work out what happened overnight .

Snowing in Essex right now .
snow report
I have had enough of the tunnel! Cancelled tickets for Wednesday morning, on the ferry Tuesday evening, overnight in Reims, should be in Ste Foy by Wednesday mid afternoon.
snow conditions
Not surprised Larry , should all be put right by the time I come out .
ski holidays
Still snowing!
ski holidays
Looks like I will be using the chains on the Espace then!
ski holidays
Yeah, quite a bit of snow on the resort roads at the moment. Snow tonight, but temperatures due to skyrocket on Thursday. Sad
snow report
stevomcd, The temperature is due to drop like a stone after Thursday with more snow from the forecasts I have seen.
latest report
The selection of LOCAL snow reports out this morning ( not snow forecast or metcheck ) are giving a better picture than they were last night temps rise thursday look short lived , high hopes of a decent base for my return , here's forecast from Meribel this morning .

Weather Report
WEATHER FORECAST

Tuesday, December 22nd:
Cloudy sky, wind and mild temperatures. Some sun only in the morning, snow in Haute Maurienne. In the afternoon more clouds and wind with foehn effect, less mild temperatures in Piémont. In the evening and the night more rain and snow and the snow-rain-limit falls on 1700m, than 600m. West-wind of 30-50km/h.

Temperatures (min/max):
1000 m : +8/-2°C
2000 m : 0 to +5/-6°C
3000 m : -2/-13°C
ISOTHERM 0 degree: 1600 to 2200m
ISOTHERM -10 degree : 3700m
Wind at 2500 m : SW to S: 50 to 80km/h
Wind at 4000 m : SW: 70 to 110km/h

Wednesday, December 23rd:
After the last snowfall bright spells in the morning, but another time clouds in the afternoon, strong wind from SW, also foehn, in the night some rain or snow (limit 1500 to 2000m).

Thursday, December 24th:
Cloudy sky and rain and snow in the afternoon, limit on 200m, then 1000m. Very strong wind and foehn.

From Friday, December 25th to Monday, December 28th:
Changing weather on Friday with clouds and bright spells, sunny weather on Saturday. Maximal temperatures climbe, minimal temperatures fall. Snowfall on Sunday and Monday from 1500m.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

'Fogliettaz' hear very rough seas this evening Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Only joking snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, looking slightly better than it was. We'll see what happens. I think it's going to rain to Plan Bois at least. It was melting off the mountain today, incredibly mild.
latest report
Looks like you got a good covering last night , next 48hrs looks on a knife edge , rain/snow levels improving with every forecast , fingers crossed .
ski holidays
Yeah, the 15cm+ at resort level (only rained for the 1st 30mins or so) has made a BIG difference to the pistes. Pretty much everything now open and in tolerable nick.

Off-piste still bad news, with a nice helping of avalanche danger to add to the mix (20-30cm of heavy fresh snow + strong winds = bad)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like weather too get much worse ,just as it looked like the Rain/Snow levels were falling new forecasts look much worse , looks like Rain/snow/wind nearly to the top with a yo yo freezing level over the next 5 days ,even forecasting rain in Tignes du Lac tonight , good news is it will help the build the base once it freezes but will be very unstable for a while , turning cold and settled in time for my arrival .

Merry Christmas to all Ste Foy watchers .
latest report
Todays forecast from Meribel , enjoy the ride over the next five days

WEATHER FORECAST

Caution!! Two important announces for your security !!! Important risk of avalanche (4) 2000/2200 meters Snowstorm between 10h-22h (wind: 100-120 km/h)

Thursday, December 24th:
Cloudy and very windy day. Possibilities of rainfalls, but the rain and snow are on the mountains in Maurienne after 14/16 hours.
Temperatures (min/max):
1000 m :+10 °C
2000 m :+4 °C
3000 m : 0°C
ISOTHERM 0 degree: at 2600m
ISOTHERM -10 degree : at 4200m
Wind at 2500 m : S to E 30/80 km/h and 30/110 km/h
Wind at 4000 m :S-W 70/110 km/h
Evening and night: In the evening it is a winder day (120 km/h) and strong rains until 2000 meters in Les Bauges, then Tarentaise and Beaufortain.Very uncertain climatic situation with cold air in the valley. Possibility of snow at 1000 meters-1500 meters.

Friday 25th: Merry Christmas!!
Possibility of amelioration in the afternoon. In the morning, possibility of snowfalls at 1200 meters. Several bright intervals in the afternoon. Less windy. Cold on our mountains.In the evening: frost is very possible.

From Saturday December 26th to Tuesday, December 29th:
Saturday: sunny day, despite cloudy sky in the morning. Weak wind and the temperatures law for the season.
Sunday and Monday: weak disturbance with snow in the valley.
Amelioration before new disturbances at the end of the day. Tuesday and Wednesday: yet rainfalls with higher than 1500 meters then 1200 meters Wednesday.
Merry Christmas!!!
snow report
Merry Christmas, awoke this moring to the sound of blasting up the mountain. It was raining last night but snow this morning. Rob Mackley, The lights in the lockers are still not working! Will Visit Gacon Immoblier tomorrow!
latest report
Merry Christmas Fogliettaz and Stevo , have good ski today , looks like the weather Rollacoaster continues .

Foggi give that bloke some crap , have the hallways been cleaned ??
ski holidays
A series of snow showers over the past few days have continued to improve things and the resort is now effectively 100% open, with the top half of the mountain offering really good conditions. Pretty heavy snowfall this afternoon, think I'm going to put the powder day working strategy into motion...
latest report
It certainly snowed yesterday, with more forecast for the rest of the week, awoke again this morning to the sound of blasting. My knees are taking a hammering, snowbaording in the morning and skiing in the afternoon although red wine does seem to be an excellent lubricant!
snow conditions
Hope you both had a good day today , looks a bit damp ???

Well once it cools down Thurs looks like we are in for a nice mix of snow and sun for the next ten days , looks like I might have perfect timing . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I got up this morning, took one look at the weather, cancelled the powder-day plan and put the back-to-bed-after-breakfast plan into action. Sad
snow conditions
Face shots on Crystal Dark yesterday, awesome conditions. Might sneak in a wee Petit Col trip today. Very Happy
snow report
Am new to this forum, but love this resort. Go here every year.
I love the walk at the topchair to fogliettaz, but have only done it 3 times.

25cm of fresh snow at the top ? That was not predicted, was it?
I am in resort first week of februari. Hope for the conditions we have every year in jan.
Still To much rocks on Crystal Dark sticking out ? What should be the snow level for Crystal D. to be good ? Or is it okay now already?
latest report
Crystal was great today and yesterday. I'm a local and have an idea of the spots that tend to have rocks so I can avoid those areas. I didn't touch anything at all, apart from a few rocks on the traverse across. Did some of the lines further across going down through the trees as well. All good!
snow report
Awesome conditions today after yesterday's dump. Hit the Morion (best I've ever seen it, barely a rock!), Far Crystal and hiked the Petit Col (thanks to Nial & Terry for putting the boot-pack in!).

Keren on Far Crystal:

More photos at: http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=16428646898
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy