Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris - Winter 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Thanksskitow, Im sure we will give it a go.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe I'm just not keen enough but the night skiing just seems like a bit too much of a good thing after a long hard days skiing when I could be in the bar!

This however I do fancy! http://www.sataski.com/en/Sarenne-by-night.html never been able to do it for one reason or another, maybe next week Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been snowing this afternoon, though it looks as though that has just stopped and the cloud is lifting. Perhaps 5cm today?

Most of the runs this week have been in pretty good nick, though with 2 and a half days of sun some have been cutting up a fair bit later on in the day.

Incidentally, having read about the Sarenne before coming out, I was expecting a 16km piste's countdown markers to start at 160, having been under the impression that they were generally placed every 100m. Just a bit down from Pic Blanc, they started at 30... are they more spread out than 100m or is it not really 16k long?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick Dawes, I have wanted to do that too but it is fairly expensive I think ? I gues hiding in the cable car station until it goes dark is not an option ?

Renry, You could always go for the sledging which is on at the same time at Eclose. Sledge down, hot chocolate and chartreuse at the bottom (normally free), back up on the chairlift and round again for more chartreuse. Do it now before elf and safety stop it. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All,

Going to Alpe d'huez on the 30th Jan for a week and was wondering if it's worth pre-booking ski's/boots on line or with the travel company. We were going to leave it until we got there, but i'm worried we could end up paying a fortune!! Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
See what deals you can get on the internet but remember that you can't check the equipment first! I don't think you will pay a fortune when you arrive but you will possibly get a better deal on line! Ask the people you are booking your accomadation through as they will prob recomend a place near your accomadation which is an advantage!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alexchapman, Thanks, booked holiday through Crystal to Hotel L'hermatige and they are only charging 65euro for 'red' skis. Might just do that. I'll get a consensus from the rest before I decide! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Getting closer .... 8 sleeps to lift off!!! Where's the boing-boing smiley??

Renry, the sledging on the Eclose is right outside the chalet I am staying in.

Anyone know

1. which lifts are free in case I manage to get out for an hour on the Sat afternoon? I don't think it will be worth coughing up for a half day pass, but a little pootle on a freebie might be fun.

2. the easiest way to take a near beginner from the bottom of the Eclose piste to the beginner piste Poussins? Lessons start Monday and that is the slope I have been told to take her to on the Sunday.

I found a reasonable resort map here if anyone hasn't seen one: http://www.alpedhueznet.com/maps-and-timetables/alpe-d-huez-maps-and-timetables.htm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, At Christmas time the Eclose 2 seater chairlift was free, I am not sure why because normally it is not. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this since ? The other free lifts are really absolute beginner lifts, there is one on the Rifnel, by Bergers and one on the flat area to the left of the troncon.
The poussins is immediately behind the ski school assembly area at bergers. To get there from the bottom of the Eclose piste you take the Eclose 2 seater chair, then the 4 seater over the ice driving track and you are there. They are both pretty slow chairlifts with operators at both ends who are used to beginners.
I am in Alpe d'Huez myself 30th Jan to 6th Feb so I hope the conditions are good, to be honest Christmas was one of my less satisfying holidays.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skitow, thanks. If she's not happy to start off in a chairlift how far is it to walk? We will be in the chalet l'escapade.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, About half a mile I would say but the first part is uphill unfortunately. The other option is to walkup as far as the sports centre and catch a bus but again you have walked the worst part, uphill, first. You could walk down to by the tourist office and catch the bus there but it then goes right round the town. I can assure you the chairlifts are both really gentle, probably the worst bit for a beginner is getting off the 4 seater at bergers to be honest. You can use the eclose 2 seater without skis so if it is free then have a practice on Sunday !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow, that's worth knowing, thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do they set any race gates up in ADH for public use?

I have been in Tignes the last 2 years and there was a couple areas set out with GS gates and a Nissan (i think) sponsored area witha
kicker and small slalom duel race track set up for anyone to have a go on.

Stuff like that including some visits to the snowpark etc all add a bit of vatriety to the week.

Heres hoping. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Eclose lift is no longer free, so afraid you will have to walk the hill but the 4 seater over the ice track is really slow so she should be fine on that (a good intro to chairs)! The other option is the free Lobster Pot lift (next to the tourist info office) to the bottom of the DMC (Troncon lift) down the Rifnel and then there is a ok free lift next to the Rifnel in Bergers. The snow park is looking pretty good with things for all levels, a couple of slalam courses are set up don't know the score about public use (I avoid them at all costs).

Blazing sun today and forecast for the next couple of days at least and then heavy snow is on the cards for the start of next week!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After watching a little video on alpedhueznet Im interested to know a little more about the Auris area of the piste map.

It looks like a relativley easy area to ski and could be good place to head for the first morning. What is it like to stop for lunch there?
They also appers to be a run called stade with a icon next to it on the map that suggest its a slalom track of some sort. Is that correct?

We do also like to stop for lunch (buffet / self serve style) and sit on a sunny terrace at a mountain restaurant can anyone recommend one?

Also above the sarenna run there is a piste called chateau noir (it has a first aid post at the bottom of it where it joins the sarenna) is there any relevnce in that Shocked

Getting excitied now only 1 week to go now, cant wait.
snow report
Renry, Auris is a nice bowl, a lift ride away (the very un-scary "Scare Chair") from Bergers side of ADH with generally easy slopes ending at 2 chair lifts just above the front de neige. A long time since I've eaten over there but there are a few restaurants and it is a nice sunny spot to stop for lunch on warm days. The main run down Signal De L'Homme (visible from ADH) is a bit more taxing and gets plenty of traffic so can be icy and the lower variants leading to the bttom of the Sarenne run can be good fun trough the trees and off the back of the Col de Cluy for something more taxing (great after fresh snow).

AFAIK all the marked Stade runs around ADH are usually closed when gates are set up for race/training use by the local ski clubs or during competitions and you will be shouted at if youre seen skiing the gates! Roche Noir in Oz has been marked as a stade for years and is barely a piste, have never seen gates up just lots of shrubs to ski through & into!

Not many buffet/self serve style restaurants in sunny spots I can think of except one in Montfrais just above the 4 man chair, which is ok from memory.

Chateau Noir is just a variant down the Sarenne which as has been mentioned before is a long Red run with a short black section at the top and a long blue run-out through the trees, never notced the first aid post!

Have a great trip! snowHead
snow conditions
Nick Dawes, the piste map makes reference to a first aid post where Chateau meets Sarenne, I was just courious.

Do you know what levels the snow parks are aimed at and which is the one for beginers. Embarassed
We like hitting the smaller kickers, getting a couple of feet of air and the odd switch landing is my limit, you wont catch us on the pipes and big tables etc. YET Puzzled
snow report
Renry, Nick Dawes, Pretty well what I was writing until I got distracted by work and you had posted. Laughing
If you have young kids with you there is always "La legend de la phantom de la chateau noir". wink I think thats roughly it in french Laughing Ask any ski instructor that takes kids, they all know it.
snow conditions
Renry, The main snowpark in ADH has all sorts if you like that sort of thing, the one in Montfrais is much smaller with less of the smaller features to play on. Don't pretend to understand parks myself although the kids are always hassling to go there, now if I could perfect switch carving in powder.............. that would make me happy!
latest report
I watched a YouTube video, but naturally can't find it again! It showed someone skiing a series of gentle rollers on what looked like an easy piste - sound familiar to anyone? Having played on some at Another World in Yorkshire, I quite fancy having another go - but not on anything too scary!
latest report
Just on our way and wondered if anyone can recommend a motorway piste-side restaurant en route to Lut en Beds? Must have good loos. Nothing too pricey if poss...wink (via SMS)
snow conditions
Hello all, just got back from ADH. The weather last week was sunny and clear for the most part (with a bit of snowfall Wednesday afternoon and evening), and it was shaping up that way again as I left at 9 this morning.

Generally conditions are still very good, though some afternoons felt a bit more like March than January. There were a couple of pistes looking a little brown in places (Escapade in Auris for one) and some rocks poking through towards the bottom of the Sarenne.

The main bowl was starting to get pretty busy on Thursday and Friday, but the further areas were quiet - Montfrais was pretty much deserted the couple of mornings I popped over there.

Have a great time anyone heading over for next week!
snow report
Awesome first day. The snow conditions are excellent and the sun was shining. About the best possible start to a weeks skiing with first lift of the day. The pistes are in great nick. Most of the off is tracked out - that that I could see at any rate. Obviously not seen entire area!

Stopped a little early due to slight calf strain. Nothing a few beers aren't beginning to cope with ;-)

Looks like more of the same at least until Wednesday when a freshen up is being talked about. Time for me to get some phats and book some powder lessons....? (via SMS)
ski holidays
Great to hear your reports Chasseur, keep em comming. Cool
snow report
Chasseur,hope the "medicinal" works! Do you know the forecast for next weekend?
ski holidays
had a late scheduled (ie the night before) trip to ADH on Saturday. Pistes are in good nick especially higher up. Off piste is not tracked out if you know where to go wink but snow has been sun and wind effected in places so you are much better off looking for northerly aspects. if you do that there is some very nice skiing indeed
ski holidays
Help needed.

I have read this on alpedhuez.com

Unique in the world: at Alpe d’Huez, ski down four fabulous runs with a vertical drop of 2000 m! Four routes to ski down, one after the other, without having to take the ski lift back up!
A total vertical drop of 8000 m!
Le Pic Blanc 3330 m - La Villette 1295 m
Le Pic Blanc 3330 m - L'Enversin d'Oz 1125 m
Le Pic Blanc 3330 m - Oz en Oisans 1350 m
Le Pic Blanc 3330 m - Gorges de Sarenne 1510 m

This is how its worded on the web site, however Ive tried to track this on the piste map and cant.
Am I right to think this must cover off piste aswell or am I missing somthing.

Can someone else plot the pistes for this challenge?
snow report
I did a variation of the second one on Saturday Cool

all are on piste

The first 3 require you to do the Tunnel then stay right at the bottom to join up with the end of the Le Dome piste which takes you to the top of the DMC (shown as "2eme troncon" on the piste map. For the first 2 you then take Rousses to L'Alpette then carry along towards Montfrais. Take the Fare if you want to go to Enversin or carry all the way through Montfrais and take Vaujanette to get to La Villette

For Oz, you can head to Alpette and down from there or, from the top of the DMC ski down Chamois and then down Poutrain etc.

The last one is just the whole of the Sarenne run to the bottom of the "scare chair" AKA Alpauris
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Arno,

How long did it take you ?
snow conditions
2 hours

but lunch took 1.5 hours Cool
latest report
What another fab start to the day. Blue skies. Yesterday was very cloudy with only the very summit in sunshine. Visibility was poor! Still it snowed on Sunday night so the pistes were fresh and there was plenty of untracked off. Especially at the summit Happy (via SMS)
ski holidays
Stunning morning spent in Auris. Clear blue skies, the conditions perfect. Some fantastic runs providing some thrilling skiing. Even some untracked off piste.....not that I'm there quite beyond edge of the piste stuff. Clouds descended late pm which provided a hair raising run into Reculas! Ski by feel only!
Its blowing a gale right now, but tomorrow promises the best day yet. Hoping to meet up with Nick Dawes and then a lesson to get a few gremlins ironed out!
Anyone due here next week....look out for some stunning conditions. (via SMS)
latest report
J2ski ia reporting a nice 13cm forcast for this Sat, hope it happens.
Providing a little powder to play in for me on Sunday,

Only 3 more sleeps NehNeh
snow report
Renry, YAY! 2 sleeps in my own bed for me, then one near Stansted!
snow report
Sorry if this has been asked lots of times before but is there any free lifts in ADH?
ski holidays
Renry, I've been told there are but not many and only on short flattish nursery slopes. Don't know which they are - I was interested in finding them if our travel goes to plan as we should be there mid afternoon Sat and I could be tempted out while my friends are all down the hire shop Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Going out to AdH on Sat for a week. We have possible ski hosting but I was wondering if anyone knows if a private lesson is worth the money and how much they would cost out there? Puzzled
snow conditions
A blue bird day. Conditions were as good as it gets. Was very warm but pistes holding up very well. Last nights gale resulted in some high lifts being closed until the avalanche risk had been removed with explosives.

Met up with Nick Dawes and some of his friends for a few hours. Had a great time in some good company. Thanks again Nick (not a bad word, eh wink). Had a hugely enjoyable run on La Fare, a black run down to Vaujany (sp?). Apparently some of the best snow cover for many a year on a sweeping tree lined run.

Light snow forecast tomorrow (thursday) for a freshen up. All bodes well for anyone coming out next week.

Must get some kip now as legs complaining following some serious mileage. (via SMS)
snow conditions
Anyone know where there is free wifi in AdH? Ideally a daytime "coffee" stop rather than an evening drinking den wink
snow report
Butterfly,
In the cafe at the outdoor pool definitely and I am pretty sure at the sports centre cafe also. There are some other cafes as well I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy