Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying ski boots - wait...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heya all,

Having now skied four times (last year in Argentiere which I loved!), I am now tentatively considering buying my own boots. Obviously, everyone here would recommend bying from CEM in Bichester, as he is nearest to me (in West London). However, he seems to be fully booked up for the whole of November, & all weekends in Dec(!) which is a bit inconvenient for me Confused given that I'm going to Hemel on the 14th (see below).

Since this will be my first boots, I was thinking that perhaps a good approach (not the best, admittedly!) would be to buy boots from S&R very carefully - I know more or less what I need to be looking for with regards to tightness/size as have asked a mate & also seen advice w.r.t. checking boot fit without liner. Then take them to Hemel Hempsted (I've booked for the 14th Nov already snowHead as have discounts through my company snow club) and see what problems I have. And at that point, I could go to CEM with a better idea of what problems I need sorting out on my new boots, instead of going 'cold' to him, not knowing what problems I'll be having.

Does this sound okay to you folks? I do realise that lot of people would advise against S&R Confused

FWIW, the below is what I told CEM...
---
I visited two separate S&R on different days. Both bootfitters immediately recommended Salomon Impact 10 CS. They measured my foot (usually UK size 11-ish), and ended up with 28.5 for my left feet and 29 for my right. Medium/wide forefoot, medium rear feet, & low/medium instep height. The first size I tried on was "nice & snug", which I thought was right - whoops! (Didn't get size) Later that week, my mate who skis was like "Hell, no! That's wrong!" Smile So I went to the 2nd S&R and ended up with a 28. In retrospective, should have tried 27.5, but the 28 was verging on the tight side in any case. Will have to go back and try 27.5 just to be sure.

At the 2nd store, I also tried on a Tecnica Phoenix 90 Ultrafit so I could compare a different brand, and it was a bit too uncomfortable in the bump on my right foot - what I believe is called the "fifth metatarsal bone" area, and since I had problems when I was little here I knew they were probably no good.
---

As I remarked, he did mention trying without the liner which I'll do this weekend, as well as trying 1/2 size down Confused

Thought?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-11-09 18:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Buying a ski boot

Best to get a pair surely or is this some sort of HP scheme buy one today and one later.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I,m also thinking of the impact 10,s, i was under the impression that they are an advanced boot being 120 rating.
I have around 25 to 30 weeks under the belt so to speak,and quite aggressive,hopefully someone will come along and give both of us some advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also tried the Impact 10 CS, but they are very stiff. I do think S&R are pushing them a little.

A 28 was snug for me and I am only a size 9-9.5, so I doubt a 27.5 will be good as it is a smaller shell.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anderoo wrote:
Quote:

Buying a ski boot

Best to get a pair surely or is this some sort of HP scheme buy one today and one later.

Hmm? What? Where? Wink *Whistles innocently*
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrdini, you could also try profeet, based in West London. They sorted out the OH's very problematic boot problem and are recommended by others here. There's also Ellis Brigham.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrdini, you could see CEM midweek.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried the Impact 8 and they were too stiff for my ability (red run skier) and 65kg weight, a pity as they were a decent fit with excellent heel hold. Unless you weigh a lot and are already confident on black runs I think the Impact 10 would be too stiff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beequin wrote:
I also tried the Impact 10 CS, but they are very stiff. I do think S&R are pushing them a little.

A 28 was snug for me and I am only a size 9-9.5, so I doubt a 27.5 will be good as it is a smaller shell.

A shell check is essential, as is the shell last and shape. I'm a size 9 in shoes, but my ski boots are a 26.0. it all depends how thick and how much space the liner has in the shell.

MrDini If you can't get to CEM, try Martin at S & R Hemel. Also bear in mind that a 28.0 and a 28.5 etc is exactly the same shell size, it's quite often only a difference in the thickness of the inner sole between the sizes to remove some of the volume of the liner.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, fully booked until the 24th Nov .... don't even ask about weekends ..... and that was mostly before the ski show effect (which saw the phone ring 14 times before 10am on monday Shocked Shocked )

as for impact 8 v impact 10 the main differences are
1 the flex ...2 bolts in the backof the 10 can be removed to soften the boot to almost the same as the impact 8
2 the plastic on the 10 is a touch stiffer in durometer (hense removing the bolts does not make it exactly the same as the Cool
3 the liner on the 10 is denser therefore will feel firmer in fit

other than that shape etc they are the same
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can get over to Outdoor traders at Abingdon (only 20 miles from Bicester) then James the bootfitter there comes highly recommended (by me!)

James fitted my new boots a couple of weeks ago, a very thorough process that went on for a good 2.5 hours and saw several boots come and go off my feet, with 1 pair being heat moulded and then discarded becuase they "Still weren't quite perfect"!

Finally ended up with a pair of Salomon Falcon CS
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
MrDini, Also bear in mind that a 28.0 and a 28.5 etc is exactly the same shell size, it's quite often only a difference in the thickness of the inner sole between the sizes to remove some of the volume of the liner.

The only exception IFAIK being the Atomic B-Tech range which go 27.5-28.0, 28.5-29.0 etc.

Mrdini, Try Bartletts in Hillingdon. Give them a call first to see the best time to go - they're not appointment only but like everyone else, will certainly be busy at this time of year.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jon.L wrote:

Mrdini, Try Bartletts in Hillingdon. Give them a call first to see the best time to go - they're not appointment only but like everyone else, will certainly be busy at this time of year.....

Oh hey! They're just down the road from me! (Have to get through Southall's horrendous traffic, but still - that's not far!).

Thanks! Very Happy

(BTW not going to Hemel on the 14th Nov after all - cocked up & forgot I had other things that day. Going in Dec instead so have a bit of breathing space now...).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy