Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parallels to carvers to D2 Varios?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So it started with a couple of planks and a big stick... Then Parallel skis.... Then some bright spark had the idea to shape the Carver... Last year Atomic released the D2 Vario... is this the next step?

I'm not an expert but here is my description

Bindings are fixed to the binding plate.
This plate is then on top of a soft rubber type material which is then attached to the ski.
This enables the ski to move a little when turning, creating deeper edges and easier turning.

The Vario Cut is ther same as above but with a cut in the tip and the tail about 10mm wide and about 100mm down the length of the ski. This is then filled with flexible (but quite stiff) rubber. This allows the tips and tails to also flex independently creating more bite.

So... my point?...

If you ski with a stiff ish ski and like to be a little 'sportiff' then you can get yourself in a real pickle with the vario cut. The tiniest movement finds an edge and before you know it you are pointing up hill.
The standard D2's though are great pisty skis and cut down the effort needed but are still nice and stiff.

So.. I recon the D2 Vario would be a great ski to learn with but has the slight drawback that if on your second holiday you can't hire any it may be back to the drawing board.

Some snowHead 's make the argument that tech has got much better so learning is faster. The problem being that exprience is left way behind.
Some snowHead 's think that getting people out and learning easily and quickly is purely positive to the sport.

I just think the skis look really cool and have dropped in price!
http://www.atomicsnow.com/int/en/52.htm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Vario FLEX is a little more interesting to me right now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy