Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a good all moutain twin tip ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey im new here Smile

Im off to Canada in Jan to do my CSIA level 1+2 and need a good all round twin tip ski. Im About 5ft10 and 11 stone. I have been told not to go for anything with an underfoot measurement bigger than 86mm. I have a pair of Salomon 1080's atm but these are better suited to the deep stuff, so am looking for something a little more versitle aswell.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to shs.

Why do you need a twin tip if you've got 1080s and find them wide? A decent piste focused ski would be better for exams and training or just busk it on your 1080s and get a real powder ski for fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Captainpirateboy, welcome

Don't get the TT and the less than 86mm argument so do not know who imposed those parameters... but a good allround TT for you might the Movement Gladiator in 183.
Easy everwhere but you have to carve it properly or it is a bit skittish, IMO...

This, of course, could be a bad thing or a very good thing as it will let you know if you aren't engaged. Not tio say that it behaves badly in that instant, just that it requires a definite input or it is unconvincing...
You can quite happily skid it round though so it isn't demanding at all.. just that if you want to carve, you have to carve it..

It might not be a current ski from Movement though..

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/clearance.html

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/offerlistsep10.htm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey, I would stay clear of a twin tip as your main choice for the course. I did my CSIA 1 and 2 last year, used the Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous and they were ideal. The only guy on the course who used twin tips was on Lords, which have a very decent turning radius for a twin tip ski, he was fine for level one but ended up getting more of a carving ski for level 2. I haven't looked in to the coming seasons skis too much yet but the best I heard of for the course last year were the Nordicas, Dynastar Contact 10s and K2 Apache Recons.

Where are you doing the course and who with?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I chatted to Brit guy doing his level 2 in Meribel last year. He'd swapped his Apache Crossfires for Recons, a mistake in his view. I demo'd Crossfires and considered them ponderous. Throwing fast turns was an effort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
Captainpirateboy,

Don't get the TT and the less than 86mm argument so do not know who imposed those parameters... but a good allround TT for you might the Movement Gladiator in 183.

<snip>

I have some 183 gladiators available if you want to make an offer - I'm a similar size to you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your advice guys.

Wouldn't 183's be abit long for me?

I have looked at some Rossignol S4's, Liberty Hazmat's and Salomon Suspects.

I have also looked at the K2 Apache recons as i was reccomened these.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Captainpirateboy, not in TT's and if your level is to study for ski exams. Not sure how many weeks on snow you need for this though...

Whether it is the right ski for the course, is another matter. That is why I asked who set the criteria about an all-mountain TT?

If it is you who wants a TT, then the Glad will be a good choice... but if the course content dictates a piste ski then you should be thinking about a piste oriented ski with a bit of float. That will make sense of the 86mm thing and rule the Glads out.

In that league, I'd be looking at a K2 Explorer at 84-85mm, A Stockli XL at around 80mm, that sort of thing...
The Recon is a good ski but has been around a bit. It will handle piste work more than ok, though

I would imagine you want a ski for the course and a ski for the deeper snow... and with that criteria you will struggle with one ski, IMV.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The fattest ski I remember on my L2 course was the Elan Magfire 14 (82?). I wouldn't do the course on twin tips.

Best option: 'Piste' orientated skis for course, 1080s for park (are they not only 80 underfoot?) and you will probably end up with some sort of pow ski for 'deep' days/trips etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys,

Twas me who set the criteria of a tt all moutain ski as im used to skiing tt's and have a tendancy to go backwards lol. Clearly it seems to be tricky to find a ski that is both all moutain and tt and in light of this ill have a look at some of the non tt suggestions Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello. As everyone else has said its generally best to do your courses on proper shaped skis with a medium turn radius however 2 years ago I did my CSIA level 1 and 2 on park twins and it was fine. However I would suggest that you don't centre mount them and don't take your tests wearing park rat tall tees! The instructors hate park style and attitude so as long as you can ski, mind your Ps and Qs and are super enthusiastic its fine.

On my level 2 there were a lots of people on Rossi B3s and Scratch BCs (98 underfoot) and I was on 1080 Lab CRs. If you are serious about on piste technique get a better carving ski if not then get a fat twin and use it everywhere. Or if your loaded grab yourself a whole quiver of different skis!

Good luck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Movement Kamasutra, try on the noble list linked above
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Captainpirateboy wrote:
Hey im new here Smile

Im off to Canada in Jan to do my CSIA level 1+2 and need a good all round twin tip ski. Im About 5ft10 and 11 stone. I have been told not to go for anything with an underfoot measurement bigger than 86mm. I have a pair of Salomon 1080's atm but these are better suited to the deep stuff, so am looking for something a little more versitle aswell.

Thanks in advance

Just me this question makes no sense to? Whatever twin you get will be close enough to a 1080 width wise, and given these are about the noodliest, easiest to ski twins on the planet you're not going to find anything "less aimed at deep snow" with a twin.

Nonstop Fernie by any chance?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oops, turns out fatbob pointed that out post one. Anyway, just get something turny and carvy. I think I spent about a third of my season going at mach loony backwards on my carvers with barely turned up tails while trying to make sure small children followed me. You're really going to want something good on piste with all the drills and stuff you're going to have to do on your course...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy