Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Xwave boots - are they comfortable!!??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I bought a pair of xwaves last season in the sales at Val D'Isere

I was really pleased with my bargain and they look and feel like a gorgeous pair of boots - had them moulded too.

However, I haven't worn them yet and am going skiing in 2 weeks time.

I was in a local ski shop the other day and the owner (who is known as the authority on boots and skis in the island), told me that "no wonder I got a bargain" "they are very uncomfortable boots and only suitable for racers"!!!

So, have I bought a pair of uncomfortable boots and am I going to be in agony all week???!!!

Help! Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
INGA I have just bought a pair of xwave8 only used them for a few dry slope trips but found them very comfortable.
off to Flaine on Saterday so will let you know how they are for a week when I get back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That would be great Kev, thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inga, which Xwaves? If he said that about the whole range then he might regard himself as an authority but he's not Very Happy Small island I guess Very Happy

I use some 8.0's for the precise reason they're a punters boot, I guess I've had 30 days use out of them so far and they're fine. They're not even vaguely similar to my Atomic Race 10:50's and neither are the Xwaves 10's.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inga
I have skied on Xwave 9.0 boots for 2 seasons and they are the most comfortable boots I have used. They are reasonably stiff, but they are forgiving unlike the higher range Salomons that can be quite stiff.
Brooksie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you know, I'm not even sure now, typing from work, if they are 6 or 7!!!

But anyway, they are ladies boots!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inga wrote:
they are very uncomfortable boots and only suitable for racers

Hi Inga... that's nonsense! Don't worry, you've bought some very good boots and if you got a good price then you did well. The XWave 9, but particularly the 10, are relatively stiff at the ankle but they are in no way uncomfortable (and if yours were moulded for you, they should be just fine!).

I'm in my third season in XWave 9s and will probably replace them with another pair when they fall apart. They are very precise, very comfortable and an excellent match for modern all-mountain skis.

A Lower Intermediate would probably find the 9s and up to be a bit unforgiving but a solid Intermediate or better will value the precision.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2Dave
I couldn't agree more with you, I will probably do the same as you when mine give up on me. I think Inga has made a wise choice.
Brooksie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brooksie, Cool ...what do you clip yours to? My Scream 10s have taken a serious beating on rocky off-piste (piste off more like) so far this season and may not last as long as the boots!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
J2Dave
Atomic X5 Supercross, but have found them a bit heavy for off piste (coz I'm crap), but boy oh boy can you have some fun on it with these. While I was away last week I borrowed a mates Volkl Supercross (they were black with yellow stars on and a sandpaper type finish, not exactly sure of the model) and they were great on and off piste.
Brooksie
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inga, your "expert" is no such thing. Good grief! Boots fit depending on the foot of the wearer. The XWaves that I had a few years ago didn't fit me well at all, but that's because of my foot shape. On the other hand, they were very comfortable. The XWaves also come in a range of ability levels, flexes, etc.

Go ski 'em. If you have issues, stop in at a local recommended bootfitter and ask them to help you. Do you have custom footbeds in them? That can make a big difference, too. How did you have them fit? How do you know they fit you correctly? All of this is far more important than the brand and model! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where did you buy them from, and how did they fit the boot, did they look at your feet and decide that was the right boot for you?

If by any chance you are skiing back in Val D'Isere I would expect the shop to tweak them for you.

If your are buying in resort, IMHO, it's better to buy on the first day, and ski in them all week, then you can get them adjusted if necessary.

I'd suggest you start wearing them around the house, even when sitting still watching TV. A boot liner takes some time to bed in (around 3 full days skiing), and they may well feel very tight for the first few days.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your help

I guess I am just getting paranoid

Inga
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine are great !!! I've got the X-Wave 8's. Fit to perfection !!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, the liner threads reminded me, have you changed liners in those 10:50s and what did you get?
snow conditions
inga
x-waves were great most comfortable boot I have used enjoy.
snow report
comprex, no, they're due for change though.

Which reminds, although I have the Xwaves 8's I have the liners fron the 10's in the them.
ski holidays
They're a nice pair of boots if they suit your foot shape. My X-wave 8s are very easy to flex (especially compared with my old Technica Icon Xs) which makes them very easy to ski - don't really feel as if I'm sacrificing much performance, even when I push it a bit harder.

Sounds like your expert is more of an expert muppet. The 8 is ideal for anyone from lower intermediate up - have even seen an instructor wearing some 8s. Maybe the 10 would be a bit much for an intermediate though...
snow conditions
I'm very pleased after 2 weeks on my X-wave 8's.
ski holidays
Strange thing has happened to my XWave 10's they have become comfortable Confused I bought them 4 seasons ago and have hated them, but have been too tight to change them. They have had the liners remoulded 3 times, I have had 2 pairs of moulded insoles made and the shells heated till floppy and moulded. They became acceptable after the heating but NOT comfortable. Then as they had become a bit smelly I dumped the liners in the washing machine (40 deg C and fast spin) 3 days to dry in the sun, Hey Presto they are comfy wink
No sensible explanation avaiable, but worth trying.
snow conditions
Ignore your "expert", I've had my xwave 9's for 2 seasons now and yes they are perhaps a bit stiffish, but they are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever skiied in.
snow conditions
I've got Xwave 7.0's (I think) - does this make me some sort of wimp? I want a bigger number Evil or Very Mad

The boot fettler we went to in resort seemed to think that the Saloman boots were good to fiddle with, as for comfort - see the above
snow report
I have had Xwave 7.0,s for the last two years and found them to be verygood for my level of skiing which is intermediate. The only thing i have noted is that because they are new it took about three days skiing before they felt fully comfortable.
snow conditions
I've had my XWave 8's for 8 days skiing now and at buying them they felt like they fitted like a glove, but ............
When I got them fitted the guy doing the fitting noted my complaints of cramps in outside edge of feet after 15 mins walking the shop in them.
One pair of Conformable footbeds later which inclouded arch support to cure the above and I thought they were great.
8 Skiing days later and I feel that ebay is the place for them to be! Sad
At first I could feel a small amount of room at the end of the boots and could wriggle my toes - "nice" Smile
After skiing them noticed that my big toes were beginning to swell due to my load now being transferred more to them due to footbeds.
Also I felt that as the days went by my feet felt like they were beginning to spread out and were now reaching the end of the boot and the big toes were rubbing and getting very sore.
At the same time as the above my level of skill was increasing that I felt I needed to tighten my boot straps up to make me feel more secure in my boots while trying steeper red runs.
Now the balls of my feet feel like their in a clamp and are hurting.
To try and end all this I take out the Conformable footbeds and pop the original ones in. This made the balls of my feet feel better but alas the toes are still rubbing the ends of the boots and are still being made sore.
I'm going to take the boots into my local bootfitter this week but after looking at how tight the liner is in the boot i'm preparing for new booties Sad
Moral to my short ownership of XWave's - If the fitter makes a cobblers of fitting the boots for you then XWave's can be real uncomfortable.
snow report
Mrs Frosty bought someSalomomnPerforma8s this yr and searw they are so comfy that her feet are warm whilst sking for the first time ever. Cant say fairer than that
snow conditions
I've had a pair of xwave 8's for 3 seasons now. Had them fitted, expensive footbeds etc.

At the end of Day 1 skiing I literally had to crawl upstairs as I had crippling foot pain. I 'phoned the shop and we decided I should ditch the footbeds. This was a bit better but I had to completely slacken the boots whenever possible to get some blood into my feet.

Two more fitting sessions and ski-trips later and they're still painful. I hired a cheap pair of Salomons in December but the next size up and skiied for 2 days pain free for the first time in years.

Anyway the shop has offered to swap them now for bigger boots so hopefully that's me sorted but beware when being measured that some consideration is being made for your bloodflow!
snow report
1 thing about all X Waves that more often than not needs to be done is to reverse the canting rivet on the lateral (outside) part of the clog. Many people complain of the boot feeling too narrow here, rather than having the canting set too far onto the outside of the foot.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i've read about that a few times on here. Presumably i need to see a boot man for that, rather than attempting it myself? I have a pair of x-wave 10's i bought a couple of years ago in Chamonix, which I love in terms of precision, but they do leave me with a bit of numbness in my 3rd and 4th toes. Do you think the canting might be the cause?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rainman, 5mm allen key, turn all the way in opposite direction, on both boots, it's not too scientific this way but should work if you are experiencing pain.
snow report
I am a partner in a Ski Hire Shop in Bansko, Bulgaria. Last year was our first season. We have bought a number of nearly new boots for hire and I have the chance to buy some mens Xwave 9 that have only been used for 1 week. My Bulgarian business partner and our shop manager take care of running things in Bulgaria but we are all new to this. I think most of our boot hire business is from beginners and some intermediates as most better skiers will have their own boots. Does anyone know if Xwave 9`s will be OK for this standard. Regards Pete, Explore-Bansko
snow conditions
 cran
cran
I have X-Wave can't remember if they are 8's or 9's but they are much better than my old boots. I really like them.

Have turned the canting lever all the way round (like SMALLZOOKEEPER says) as apparently Salomon put it in the wrong place according to some random boot guy in a boot shop somewhere in the Alps.

I later had some insoles made, but it doesn't seem to make much difference apart from I can feel the insoles pushing on the arch of my foot for the first hour. They must be worth the 50€ I paid for them though because they are orange! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy