Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coaching children

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An interesting article with some videos of two really good children here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs, very interesting article.

One of the problems with our club (we felt) was that some kids were allowed to join too early, the main reason being that once they'd spent a few months going to the kids club at the slope, plus a few family holidays, there was nowhere for them to go next if they wanted to ski regularly. Around about the time I moved to HK we were talking about introducing another session which the kids would attend for 6 to 12 months before starting race training, where we'd concentrate on skill development, maybe occasionally use stubbies but no gates.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, thanks for the link, i liked seeing how wide and on the inside the girl was and how quickly she changed that style. Wish they expanded on how they got her to change to the second clip.. I see that a lot with the little ones who are very wide track and overemphasise pressuring and edging the inside leg when skiing in narrow confines indoors, it never looks right to me but some seem to think that parallel shins and a wide very low stance is the way to go.

good ammunition to send to parents when hit with the "johnny has a big race coming up and needs to run gates this month" Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret,
Quote:

good ammunition to send to parents when hit with the "johnny has a big race coming up and needs to run gates this month"

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great article.

Will's coach is very much a 'technical' coach and limits gate practice to around 25% of total training time. Will gets frustrated and it's sometimes difficult when he sees other winning medals while he's 4th or 5th. Those other kids can absolutely fly down the course during a race but, even to my untrained eye, they have many technical deficiencies. We have to keep telling him that the coaching he's receiving is for the long-term and that many of the current 'flyers' in his age group will not be around in a few years time as they haven't got the 'technical' side right and will eventually get 'found out'. It will come. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

skimottaret wrote:
good ammunition to send to parents when hit with the "johnny has a big race coming up and needs to run gates this month" Very Happy

We've been guilty of that in the past Embarassed but understand now that coaches know best! Not so easy getting a 9 y/o to understand, though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
Wish they expanded on how they got her to change to the second clip.. I see that a lot with the little ones who are very wide track and overemphasise pressuring and edging the inside leg when skiing in narrow confines indoors, it never looks right to me but some seem to think that parallel shins and a wide very low stance is the way to go.

I've seen it in adults too, and wonder if it's something that affects girls more due their bio-mechanics.

My guess is it's also partly a confidence thing and with an improvement in balance skills they no longer need it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought I'd post a couple of photo's of a skier I worked with during last Winter who initially exhibited the 'COM over inside leg' posture as mentioned in the link above.

The photo's are about 8 weeks apart. The skier in question refuses point blank to do any drills so I used video analysis, demos etc. Plus, she suggests a big difference came about when she moved from 'stock' but supposedly advanced piste skis to 'race' 3Vs.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy