Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriage to USA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to the US with Continental Airlines does any know how much they charge for ski carriage have phone up and the lady on the phone told me it would cost $600 for me and the girlfriend to take our skis, is this correct?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Website? Mybe she's charging you for an internal and a transatlantic leg each way. $300 doesn't sound crazy though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Website? Mybe she's charging you for an internal and a transatlantic leg each way. $300 doesn't sound crazy though.

$300 just to carry skis, wow!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blimey that sounds rather excessive to say the least. BA are coming in for quite a lot of criticism for introducing ski carriage charges at the minute and they only charge £64 to the US!!
!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jtobin03, quick look at the website indicates a cost between $40 and $45 for your checked baggage pp, dependant on when the tickets were booked - usually paid at time of ticket booking..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Blimey. I'm pretty sure it was free when we went (with UA) last year. I have heard Continental are a bit money-grabbing though (not quite ryanair levels, but heading that way) rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty well all Transatlantic routes have gone from 2 x 23kg bags each to 1 x23 Kg in the last year. Previously the skis would have been one of your 2 free bags. One option is to see if you can spread stuff into a big roller ski bag and one other bag - plus use the usually generous hand luggage weight allowance. Paying an overweight charge on one bag may be worth it. Certainly you should aim to take only one extra bag - not individual ski bags. We will be having 3 pairs in one bag with AA in March wink

Continentals rules look a bit stranger - they mention charging for long bags which contain things other than skis...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 3-11-09 23:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For what is worth - you can fedex 16kg door to door one way to the US for £133 - and last year US skiers - hit by the charges on internal flights were starting to fedex their skis straight to their hotel... And you don't have to carry the damn things!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BA are charging about £35 each way for extra bags on transatlantic flights (skis, and other sports equipment, are now treated as any other bag now). Luckily my tickets were sorted early enough to avoid this charge.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I looked at the website, but as the flights are part of the package, the TO told me that I have to sort the ski carriage out as it is not their airline, (virgin) as that was already full. ( I bet they wanted me to buy their ski rental. I phoned the company and got told $600 after waiting on the lien for 30mins. I am planning on putting all the skis in one bag. I will have one more go later in the month and try to sort this, if not going to risk it and turn up at the airport with them, if the cost is too much then get my dad to take them back with him and just rent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't comment for continental, but US Airways was 2 bags 32kg max total free when I went, and was still that last time I checked. 3rd bag was $100 each way. And the transatlantic allowance carries over the the internal connection flight, so long as it is booked as a connection.
So skis, boots, and 1 luggage could quite feasibly cost $200 each plus a penalty for not being the right dimensions (although there's probably a specific ski deal).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jtobin03,

From the sports equipment section of their website
"Continental accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

1 pair water skis or 1 water ski bag containing 2 pairs of skis
1 snowboard or 1 snowboard bag containing 2 snowboards
up to 2 pair of snow skis and associated equipment in 1 bag and 1 ski boot bag. (Note: If ski boot bag contains other items in addition to or in place of boots, it will be subject to applicable baggage fees or excess baggage fees.
If applicable, the first ($20) or second bag fee ($30) applies to ski equipment. "

From the checked baggage section on their website

"* Customers who purchased tickets on or after July 21, 2009 for travel on or after Aug. 19, 2009 will be charged $15 for their first checked bag and $25 for their second checked bag when prepaying at continental.com. "

Or looking at the table on the same page - 2 bags first one free, 2nd at a cost of $45 - just substitute the sports equipment for the 2nd bag.

Worth finding out from your TO when the tickets were purchased - The TO is deffinately crap though giving you this lame excuse and making you find out yourself, this is why you use TO surely. I can imagine the sort of help you may get in resort Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy