Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oktoberfest

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be hitting the big 40 on 5th October 2011 and was thinking of going to Munich for Oktoberfest with the lads for a few days. Can anyone give me guidance as to when best to go and where to stay. Apparently you do need to book rooms well in advance, hence the premature request.
Vielen Dank
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went a couple of years back - you will need to book rooms well in advance. I stayed very close to the main station in the centre of Munich, in what turned out to be the, ahem, red light district. NOT a place for the faint hearted, and NOT a place to walk around at night.....so get somewhere well away from there!!!

Edited to add - don't try and book anything for October either - the festival is actually in September
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, if you're going as a big group, it might be an idea to book a table in one of the beer tents.

IIRC you have to fax the tent propriator, but the website was in German, and mein Deutsch ist nicht genug gut.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, you might want to check the dates - I'm pretty sure it will have finished by the 5th. And it is best to start planning a year ahead, hotels/flights are a nightmare to Munich that time of the year.

WIndy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure of the dates for 2001 but the next one is 18.09 to 03.10.2010

http://www.oktoberfest.de/

http://smarttraveldeals.com/Resources%5CDeal_Image_13633.jpg

edit: just found the dates
17. September 2011 – 03. Oktober 2011

http://www.oktoberfest2011.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, The booking of tables is a good idea if there are 10 or more of you! Tables cost upwards from about 300 Euros to book and included in that booking fee is a voucher for your first Maß (litre of Octoberfest beer) and half a grilled chicken. We normally send off our bookings about now to the tents we want reservations in. I wouldn't touch the Augustiner Tent with a 10' barge-pole, Hoffbräu and Löwenbräu are full of Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and all the other boozy tourist types. Our favourites are Hacker-Festzelt, Armbrustschützen, Winzerer Fähndl, Ochsenbraterei, but we always try and book in Bräurösl, or failing that the Schottenhammel. The latter was definitely the best tent this year.

Next year it will end on 3rd October - it always ends on the first Sunday in October except, as in 2011, we have the National Holiday on the first Monday (Unification Day - 3rd October) The middle weekend is called the "Italian Weekend" when it seems that half of Italy is there getting totally rat-@rsed. If you can book time off during the week you may have more fun to be honest as all the weekends are really full for obvious reasons.

Guvnor, I'm presuming you were in Schillerstrasse or it's immediate area - it's called "Sex & Electronic-Strasse" here locally because of the preponderance of sex shops and, funnily enough, IT and electronic goods. But to call it a Red District is a more than a little bit over the top - there are no brothels there, just some hotels that may or may not rent rooms by the hour. It is perfectly safe to walk around on your own at night and I have no worries when I have to do it. As the hotels can get much more money in the way of takings during the Octoberfest by renting out to tourists, my police friends tell me that it is generally very quiet there during the Weisen, unless there are a bunch of drunken Brits looking for trouble after getting smashed at the Octoberfest! Toofy Grin

rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I popped over there this year.

After many years going at weekends (1st, mid & last) I would have to say Im not doing weekends again. They have reduced public seating over the years & reserved alot for corporate & bookings only

1st weekend , the tents are FULL. Impossible to get in unless you have booked , even te beer gardens are full .

I think the tents are already booked for next year.

If you must go weekend then the last is probably the best .

Beer was Euros 8.60 Massbeer this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Book a *very long way ahead* for accomodation. Or you'll be in a hotel a half hour metro ride from the festival, in the middle of an industrial estate, like we were.

Book a table in a tent, definitely. Last year we plonked ourselves in the Festhalle Schottenhamel which was awesome.

EAT. Remember to EAT.

Drop into Beate Uhse for some evening entertainment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, Sounds like it could be the place - my hotel was directly opposite a sports bar owned by Lother Matthaus (sp?), the Germany footy captain, which in turn was next to a huge shop of 'adult' interest.....it was certainly a dodgy area when I was there, but suspect it may have been cleaned up considerably since (a quick think suggests it was actually 7 years ago that I was there... Embarassed )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want something similar but different, an alternative is Õllesummer in Tallinn, Estonia. It's a lot cheaper, and the weather is generally better.

I've been 3 times now (I'm in the first picture here), and TBH prefer it to Oktoberfest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The ancient heart of Tallinn is about as beautiful a medieval city centre as I've ever seen anywhere.

Shame the entirety of the rest of Estonia is so bloody horrible really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, yup. Beautiful, until you get outside the city walls.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We just went to Munich for a friend's stag week-end but we chose the week-end just before the Octoberfest. So we got much cheaper flights and rooms, and managed to fit in a visit to all the beer kellers and beer gardens, and did some culture, with the Olympic tower, Frauenkirche, and a tour of Paulaner brewery...

Not quite the full octoberfest experience but a lot of places were setting up for it and the beers all taste the same.. Blush

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guvnor, I been here over 12 years and it has remained the same - shops open and close, change their function. Just because it is "adult" themes doesn't make it dangerous - much worse areas in the UK - King's Cross area for London or the St Paul's/Stapleton Road area of Bristol. I must admit though when I first came here I assumed it was a dangerous area too because of the Red Light connotations

Loddar (as he is known here because of how he talks) is a real figure of fun - everyone takes the mickey out of him because of his penchant for very young blondes as well as his dumb sayings!

stanton, talking out your posterior again - businesses book tables for their workers and guests during the week - wander around a tent on an afternoon and you will see that all the reservations are corporate ones on the whole - starting usually at 16:00. If you have not claimed your table by 16:30 you lose it. At the weekend you have to pay an arm and a leg for tables or boxes. The Wiesenwirte (the people who run the tents) have to keep at least a third of the places in the middle part of the tents unreserved during the week and the whole of the inner (middle part) at the weekends. It is a rule imposed by the Munich City council who licensie the tents. We booked 4 tables in the Schottenhamel tent this year for staff and clients to enjoy together and have to say it was a really good night out and did customer relations no end of good!
You couldn't get a place because you were too late - when the weather is good as it was this year, everyone knows to get there early or miss the boat!

boabski, if you want to do it book a package early from the UK which includes table reservations. It is the only way you can guarantee anything to be honest!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this the real reason stanton didn't get a place in a tent Wink
http://izismile.com/img/img2/20091006/oktoberfest_2009_00.jpg

Oktoberfest table dancing (open with caution)
http://www.motleycrow.com/imagehost/Oktoberfest2005z3.jpeg
snow report
Samerberg Sue, This year first weekend Saturday & Sunday tables were 100% full with reserved signs.

I did mean to say weekdays for corporate bookings & family/kids day is tuesday(i think)

I,ve been going to Oktoberfest for over 25yrs now & the public capacity has definitly been reduced no matter what Muncih Council dictates.

I dont know if you remember but you used to be able to get service when you were standing inside, thats been stopped for a long while !

No problem getting a place I know some of the waiters, so I do not have problems oh and its free (bier & hendl) Very Happy

Was there for the city parade on Saturday monring & at the Schottenhamelthe tapping of the first keg at 12:00.

Sunday was waiting for them to open the door so I was inline at 08:45 am Very Happy

They closed the doors of tent I was in at 13:30 until someone left!!
ski holidays
All sounding like good fun Toofy Grin When would be the best weekend to go then? The last weekend in Sept is a local holiday in Glasgow so that would probably suit most of the guys.
ski holidays
boabski,

You will have a great time, it's a really cultural fest ....

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/5/19/633783585754165260-oktoberfest.jpg

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/oktoberfest2.jpg
snow conditions
boabski, That will be the Italian weekend, so book up fairly quickly. You can get packages I think already or you can try and do it yourself - sing out if you need any help!

Any accommodation within walking distance of the Wiesen is phenomenally expensive. i had friends stay in such a hotel last year in August (two weeks before the beginning of the Octoberfest). Their room cost them 80 Euros B&B per night each. They asked about the price in the Wiesen time and were told the same room cost 300 Euros!!!!!! And there were plenty of people willing to pay that money too! It was booked out well in advance. Going a wee bit further out saves money and using the excellent public transport tickets - group tickets for 5 people for the whole area cost only about 11 Euros and the S-Bahn, U-Bahn trams and buses run very efficiently especially at the end of the evening. By booking somewhere a bit further out you can save some money as you can if you book your tables during the week instead of at the busiest times, i.e. weekends

The "lock out/ins" have caused problems in the past and people who have reservations this year were being given armbands to identify you to the bouncers, so you could go out for some fresh air and get back in despite the "locked" doors. They close the doors when the tents reach maximum capacity for sitting and standing. At the weekends and when the weather is good they can be closed by midday, especially on the opening weekend. All the celebs have tables reserved in the Wannabe tents and all the groups of people taking part in the opening processions have some tables reserved for them. So you hope for good weather and sit outside in the Beer gardens around the tents on opening weekends. The opening Sunday is also a big gay day especially in Bräurosl! Laughing So it gets interesting as the day progresses for sure Shocked

Sue wink
snow conditions
The Festival goes on all over town if you cannot get into one of the tents. Even worth a a short train trip & bus out to Andechs http://www.andechs.de/
latest report
stanton, Good idea! But beware, the beer is even stronger than Oktoberfest beer, which in turn is stronger than normal (Helles) beer!
latest report
Samerberg Sue, on at least one occasion I've been down the Oktoberfest and have been unable to get a beer Evil or Very Mad That sucks, believe me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy