Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly, cold temps and 50cm of fresh and it will look pretty different when the sun comes out on Sunday. Here's hoping....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobinch, yes, although with the ground warming up now it might all slide off as soon as the sun comes out. Looks like there might be quite a lot of snow though at last.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, if I read GFS correctly it predicts a big dump Friday night. Another dump Saturday night, more (but warmer) Monday and Tuesday and then another big dump Thursday night and possibly more on Sunday. It's a pretty awesome forecast which if delivered would set things up pretty nicely for April! I'll be up there early on Saturday.

If avi conditions mean we need to stay close to the pistes it may be a good day for a ski test. Redeemer's vs Lhasa's vs Kuro's.

RPF, Gorilla, you up for it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey everyone. Thinking of heading to Verbier (or Chamonix) this weekend, together with infrequent sH poster irbis. If we do, could we crash your party? (though hopefully not just for piste skiing...)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How long are you visiting for horizon?
We will be arriving on monday evening for 10 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bobinch wrote:
Swirly, if I read GFS correctly it predicts a big dump Friday night. Another dump Saturday night, more (but warmer) Monday and Tuesday and then another big dump Thursday night and possibly more on Sunday. It's a pretty awesome forecast which if delivered would set things up pretty nicely for April! I'll be up there early on Saturday.

If avi conditions mean we need to stay close to the pistes it may be a good day for a ski test. Redeemer's vs Lhasa's vs Kuro's.

RPF, Gorilla, you up for it?

oh dear, instead of ski mountaineering i will have to go powder skiing
bummer Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, you coming to Verbier? For how long?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, will be based in Chamonix but licence to roam - looks like the real weather will hit a bit east of Cham so we may find ourselves in the Valais. i am looking forward to not thinking for myself and just going where our guide reckons is good Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, horizon, I sent you both PMs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well the flight tickets are booked - rungsp, unfortunately I have to go back Monday evening.

Any heads up on accommodation in Le Chable appreciated. Looking forward to meeting some more snowheads.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Le Stop: nuclear bunker chf 29 per night, does have some nicer rooms (not sure how nice)
Gietroz: family hotel, very simple and swiss 2 star. Clean and friendly, not fancy.
Max and Millies B&B: old building, modern decor rooms that look very nice.

Also Hotel Le Poste another plain and simple place. Not to be confused with a hotel of the same name in Verbier itself.

If you look on www.verbier.ch and use the yellow pages function you can find their links.

There is another B&B just behind my building. Maybe do an internet search, sorry but I have no knowledge of it at all except it says B&B on a sign that is visible from the lift (not too helpful I know!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
max and millies is pretty nice but quite expensive for what it is; however, it is quite cheap compared to most places in Verbier
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Verbier snowHead's, I've got a chalet in Nendaz from Sunday until Easter Monday and should have some space until Wednesday if anyone is stuck for accommodation. Have to go across to Chamonix on Monday to drop off boots and would be keen to do a Hellbroner/Vallee Blanche day if conditions allow.

ps the accommodation offer is only open to showoffs on super fat skis who swear an oath to avoid pistes.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, we'd be in for Cham if conditions are favourable. We have the car working.

Keen to ski with whoever is around. Conditions off the back of Mont Fort today were very good indeed. Quality spring snow almost to the hydro thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

There is another B&B just behind my building. Maybe do an internet search, sorry but I have no knowledge of it at all except it says B&B on a sign that is visible from the lift (not too helpful I know!)

My brother stayed there it was fine, about 50 SFR pppn, he didn't like the breakfast but it was fine other than that.

Contact
Elizabeth Michellod-Dutheil
+41 (0)27 776 1400
michellod.tribu@dransnet.ch

It was very warm today in Le Chable 22 degrees plus but colder at the top with a bit of wind hope it means change is on the way.

gorilla, what was the walk out like, I presume its best attacked early?
All the itinerary runs except Vallon Darbi reopened today so there might be hope to find some nice snow again.

bobinch, might have to take up that offer, I have the skis and been practising showing off. Might be up for Cham or Courmeyeur too although dont think I'm around Monday Sad .

Arno, let us know if you are around be good to catch up for a ski or a pint. horizon, likewise

rungsp, when you out for Easter?
ski holidays
RPF, best done earlyish. We reckoned that being at the top of MF between 10.30 and 11.00 would yield best conditions. I think we got that about right. I think the traverse would have been dangerous today from around 14.00 onwards, if not earlier. We were there at c. 12.30 and it was still acceptably solid but warming quickly. On the downside, the moguls by the barrage were lethal and some total Be Nice please! has skied the traverse through the woods in rotten snow leaving their tracks for all to fall in.

Catwalk looks relatively untracked but I don't think we're going to get the weather to go after it. I would want to be on that slightly earlier given where it comes out.
snow report
bobinch, can I throw my skis into the ski test?Would be interested in trying something longer/stiffer as I think I'm overpowering them Little Angel
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Swirly, skis?!?! Shocked
ski holidays
'Ang on a second, I just about decide to go to Verbier, and you're all heading off to Chamonix??

I could contribute a pair of High Society FR with medium Naxos on to the ski test. I know they're narrow compared to some others you've mentioned!
snow report
Swirly, I suspected something was up when you showed up clean shaven and with a freshly washed gear the other day.... Decided you're too old and respectable for the Snowboarding lark?

I would recommend you starting on some slalom skis - anything else is just blatant showing off. But you'll need at least one helmet, be careful to stay on the pistes and don't let anyone convince you to attempt the snowplough as it is a very dangerous manoeuvre!
ski holidays
We'll arrive late Friday night, staying in Le Chable. Up for meeting Saturday at 8.45 at the gondola. I'll be wearing a dark green shell + grey trousers + silver helmet (probably with a headcam), my friend is in red jacket plus black trousers.

I've PMed my phone no to bobinch.
snow conditions
The skies looked evil towards the Geneva end of the lake this morning and it is now bucketing down with rain on our office. If this keeps up for any length of time there will be more snow than forecast.

It's still warm and I believe snow line is currently about 2000m above Nendaz but due to go down during the day.

Swirly, gorilla, RPF, trust you'll give us a snow update this evening?

horizon, have your number and will look out for you tomorrow morning. I'll be the gaper with the Kuro's Very Happy

Will also have preggers 175's in the car tomorrow in case anyone fancies a crack on them.
latest report
bobinch, Its raining in Le Chable but the trees are turning white about 200m higher so snowline here is definitely droping cars coming down from Verbier with snow on them.
CSki might be interested in giving the Kuros a go. She was admiring a pair yesterday. She was not put off by the conditions and is up there skiing at the moment.

horizon, I'll pm you my number too, what time you in at tonight? could maybe catch up in Le Rosbif.

What is the weather supposed to do tomorro? If the vis is bad might need to go to my local hill wink Some of the guys down here are predicting Sunday to be a really good powder day.

I'll prob be on the Redeemers for my first powder on them but again if anyone fancies ago on the Preachers (189's) let me know.
snow report
RPF, replied to your PM before seeing the message here. I guess we'll only arrive in Le Chable around 11.30, happy to have a beer then if you're still awake. Will call you when we get out of Geneva.

Those Preachers sound interesting, if ok with you I might want to give them a go (maybe Sunday?)

What's your local hill?
snow report
RPF,

Here's what Cham meteo is saying:

TOMORROW - SATURDAY MARCH 27
Unsettled and cold - morning sunny spells likely - showers becoming more frequent in the afternoon
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : locally cloudy with sunny spell early in the morning - otherwise mostly cloudy - probably overcast in the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 30%.
PRECIPITATION : isolated showers in the morning - becoming frequent and locally heavy - rain-snow limit towards 1100 m - expected snowfall towards 2000 m : 20-30 m.
WIND - aloft : W -> NW strong.
TEMPERATURE : min -2°C - max +7°C.

SUNDAY MARCH 28
Changeable and cold - sunny spells and showers - increasing instability in the afternoon
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : cloudy with sunny spells in the morning - becoming mostly cloudy to overcast in the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 30%.
PRECIPITATION : snow showers in the afternoon.
WIND - aloft : WNW moderate to strong -> W light to moderate.
TEMPERATURE : steady.

So looks like a break in the weather early on after which it will come in. Sunday looks similar. If there's a decent dump today I assume they may be bombing tomorrow morning in which case I reckon we head your way for some tree hugging action.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 26-03-10 13:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Woo hoo!! Arrive tomorrow, but it looks like the snow has beaten me to it Smile
snow report
 brian
brian
I officially hate you all Evil or Very Mad (Until the 10th April when I'm back out.)
snow report
Today was interesting: snowy above 1800m, heavy at times but very windy, a lot more than forecast. So much so that they shut all the lifts leaving us in Vessonaz.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF, Up for a ski tomorrow/Sunday then?

I have an interesting pair of rungsp's skis that people may want to check out. Vis not looking great for tomorrow so perhaps head to Bruson? A ski test sounds like a good idea for tomorrow, Il check back here later to see if anyone has decided on a meeting point and time.
ski holidays
I'd say we got somewhere around 5-10cm between Combatzeline and Veysonnaz today. It has socked back in but there is nothing much on the precip radar for the immediate future. Pretty warm - it was -1 at 2100 or thereabouts.
ski holidays
skidog, Deffo up for a ski either or both days if it is half as good as the last one it will be great. We can make a plan later. But would love to hit the trees if the vis is bad.
horizon, Local hill begins with B and is the opposite side of the Valley to Verbier skidog, might have referred to it in his post. wink

Looks like a snowheads fat ski festival tomoro, should we set a minimum width underfoot rule? or is that discrimination snowHead
snow conditions
RPF et al, 5-10 isn't going to be enough to cover up the bumps in the trees and it's very low so not sure that is going to be great...? Do we try and get high early for some freshies and come down later if it comes in? You guys are there so you can judge better than me. The Verbier webcams are now very sunny and doesn't look like much more than the 5 or 10 gorilla is reporting (which is consistent with the last SLF reading http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/schneeinfo/stationsdaten/rk82_sd_c_EN ). I'm assuming they will secure it tonight and most of the lifts should be open in the morning?

More forecast on Saturday afternoon and night with colder temps so Sunday could be better on your hill.....
snow report
RPF wrote:
horizon, Local hill begins with B and is the opposite side of the Valley to Verbier skidog, might have referred to it in his post. wink

Got it - have some fun memories from there, such as taking an inviting jump only to find that my landing zone is occupied by a wooden bench, or straightlining in whiteout conditions onto a cat track (can you see a trend developing here?)

RPF wrote:
Looks like a snowheads fat ski festival tomoro, should we set a minimum width underfoot rule? or is that discrimination snowHead

Yeah, 93mm (actually no, 89, Irbis is on Missions). This is textbook snow for versatile midfats Toofy Grin I left the HSFRs at home.

skidog, got your phone no from your Dad, hope to meet tomorrow.
ski holidays
bobinch, agree about the amount of snowfall. I think there will be some good snow up high too. Many of the Itineries were closed over this week so if temps drop and they open they could be good as will the off-piste near them.

Lets aim for 0845 at Le Chable Station and meet gorilla, Swirly, on the mountain, we can hopefully get some fresh on the easy access stuff early and if the snow pack looks good and vis is ok hike for some less tracked later.
snow conditions
Sounds like a plan. Time to see who has the fattest skis Twisted Evil snowHead
snow conditions
We are unlikely to make Le Chable until 10am if the plan is Bruson. We are likely to be later if they do not open Gentianes, which they did not do today. We will be sticking our noses out of the door early and taking a call on what to do then. Ross & co, I'd make a call at your end on where you think is going to be good and then go do it. If its Verb then we'll defo try and meet up.

That said, if we want to do something worthwhile in Verbier, we are going to have to do it early before it socks in. It is probably not a day for anything too complicated given the likely variability of the weather. Stairway/Highway/Barrys might be reasonable options depending on what is open and what any avi hazard looks like.

Looking forward to seeing you all, if not tomorrow then definitely Sunday.
snow conditions
gorilla, deffo plan for Verbier at the moment unless we loose visability then its trees. CSki reported some good snow today so we could get lucky if Mt Gele is open and the ones you mentioned.
I'm sure our first run will take us towards Tortin direction.
We can confirm by phone in the morning.
latest report
Some pics from Verbier from yesterday.... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63332

snow conditions
Some pis from yesterday... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63449&highlight=

DSCF4935

Snowed down to 1000m last night and still going strong at 9am. We're heading out now hoping it will clear up during the day. If it does it will absolutely rock today snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Currently snowing below Le Chable (820 M).
Lift status has high lifts closed. But weather to clear a little early afternoon. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy