Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my Skis worth anything / Any ideas wht to do with them?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads,
Got some skis littering my room and was after any opinions on what i should do with them. They are Scott P3's from 07/08 in 178. The bases and topsheet/sidewall of the skis are all in good nick, the problem lies in the edges. A good foot of edge has been ripped out from under the central position and the edges are cracked in numerous other places from hammering rails. Are they worth anything in this state? Are they worth repairing or are they simply a write-off destined for life as a shot-ski!?

pics are here: http://img297.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1681t.jpg

Rob C

[/url]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take them to the dump, they are finished!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob c, get easiski to explain how to make a CD rack out of them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
Rob c, get easiski to explain how to make a CD rack out of them.

Someone still uses CDs? Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.skichair.com/standalone/whattodo.asp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, sound quality from MP3s is rubbish.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, agreed, but that's really a red herring since at 2Mbps+ a download of an entire uncompressed CD takes less than half of a second.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have heard that some people learning to do ski base repairs like a set of 'dead skis' to practice making gouges and repairing them.

Or could they be cut and turned into excellent 'runners' on a home-made sledge?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, I'd need three computers to store it all and another three to back it up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, that download speed can't be right. An uncompressed CD is, what 450 - 650MB? How can it download in half a second at 2Mbps?? I have a faster connection than that and a compressed song takes longer than half a second.

Lizzard, of course, purists will say that the sound quality of CDs is rubbish compared to good vinyl. (I wouldn't notice).

(OT, I know, but the question on the skis has already been answered correctly).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, they do, it is, and I can certainly tell the difference. But you need a quality turntable and to put up with the other disadvantages of vinyl, not least of which is that nothing I want to listen to is issued in that format any longer. I'm not about to turn into a total stereo system geek. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'd make them into a cool bench, get another pair or a snowboard from ebay and some bench ends.

Lizzard,

Quote:

sound quality from MP3s is rubbish

and your ears can tell a difference between a lossless ripped (flac,aac,wma)cd and a regular cd? have you even compared the two?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, you're right. I just thought that, since I'm disagreeing with comprex, I might as well get pedantic with someone else as well Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
Lizzard, agreed, but that's really a red herring since at 2Mbps+ a download of an entire uncompressed CD takes less than half of a second.

Huh?

It takes more than half an hour, never mind second.

A CD can be 700MB (bytes) - that is 5600Mb (bits).

That is 2,800 seconds at 2Mbps.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alex et al,
maybe it depends where comprex was downloading from? (perhaps one of those 'peer to peer' sites where, instead of the file you expected to get, a small trojan replaced it...) Shocked
personally, I'd be pleased to shift a CD's worth of data on my home LAN in 2seconds.... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

and your ears can tell a difference between a lossless ripped (flac,aac,wma)cd and a regular cd? have you even compared the two?

Yes and yes.
latest report
Um the music on the cd is digital data, as is the lossless ripped from said cd, how is it possible that 2 identical songs can sound different, and how exactly are you comparing these as the player must have an important role in the sound Puzzled
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
Um the music on the cd is digital data, as is the lossless ripped from said cd, how is it possible that 2 identical songs can sound different, and how exactly are you comparing these as the player must have an important role in the sound Puzzled

All depends on how the digital music is decoded. The stability of the clock speed on the digital to analogue converters used, the stability of the power supplies etc. all feed into the equation. For example, the D/A converters on my squeezebox digital players are more accurate than those of my CD player so encoded lossless audio through the squeezebox sounds better than the original CDs on my player.

Interestingly, after encoding CDs to FLAC (fully lossless audio codec) I could hear a significant difference in the sound using the digital output of my CD player and the digital output of a Windows Media Centre PC, both using the same external converter. Further investigation showed the output from the PC was at 48 kHz (standard sampling rate for the PC audio stream) rather than 44.1kHz (CD standard). The PC was resampling the CD data to fit with its standard sampling rate so the bit-for-bit information was very different.

[/boring techy audio drivel]
ski holidays
This thread drift HAS to be snowHead Gold! 5 posts in and the OP is forgotten. rolling eyes

Oh, and vinyl rules. Laughing wink
latest report
<<< feels rather sheepish for getting so wrapped up in his techy subject he completely forgot about thread drift
snow report
andyph wrote:
This thread drift HAS to be snowHead Gold! 5 posts in and the OP is forgotten. rolling eyes

My job is so done here. Toofy Grin
snow report
i dont have a single device that can play cd's and mp3 but if you rip the cd at 44.1 lossless and play it as an mp3 on the same device then i cant see how it will sound any different, how it's decoded only matters if it's different devices, how can you compare your squeezebox and cd player, what about the other important components that make the sound quality..

i suggested a bench for the op so i'm clear Little Angel
snow report
geeo wrote:
i dont have a single device that can play cd's and mp3 but if you rip the cd at 44.1 lossless and play it as an mp3 on the same device then i cant see how it will sound any different,

MP3 is a lossy coding. It _deliberately_ drops things like high frequency detail at higher volume levels.
ski holidays
1) The Skis are shot.

2) In terms of legal acquisition of music - surely the best thing is to buy the CD then rip it. The worst is to get it off iTunes.

3) Fastest and best drift I have seen for ages. Kudos comprex Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

MP3 is a lossy coding. It _deliberately_ drops things like high frequency detail at higher volume levels.

yea i know and i am bad for using that when meaning flac or aac or lossless ripped music, i'm sure you read the rest of the thread....

And as i was being stupid i forgot my pc plays cd's and ripped equivalent so tomorrow i will get a longer optical cable and have a listen.
snow report
Rob c, recycle them.

The best option if you're not keeping them imo. There are a few companies trying to push this ethical shift - (see Faction skis etc.) - and it appeals to many.

Even if it's just a normal recycle option rather than a 'ski' specific one it's still a good option imo.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the sugestions, even if things got a bit musical!
I'm resigned to the fact that i'm not going to get any money out of them so will definitely make something cool out of them!
snow report
Shot ski?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3192906830_41076050ff.jpg
ski holidays
Rob c, speaking of shot skis, do you have an air rifle?

Wanna see if hard wax actually does protect bases?
ski holidays
Interesting thought comprex. However I'm not going to be guilty of heading off on a tangent for the second time on the same thread ...
ski holidays
mfj197, shot skis are on topic, no? wink

Someone needs to do this.
snow conditions
Don't have an air rifle unfortunaltely snowHead
latest report
Maybe it would be easier for the OP to change the thread title ? Laughing

narc, that is a cool site Cool
snow report
Oh and Rob c, the answer is fairly simple - negotiate a 'trade-in' value on a shiny new pair
snow conditions
Rob c, Tom_from_austria might able to make something interesting out of them wink

Respect Tom Very Happy
ski holidays
Timberwolf, warranty. "I was just skiing along when..."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy