Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

can duct tape repair my split trousers? - update

Poster: A snowHead
Embarassed i've managed to split my trousers down the seat and am trying to figure out if they're salvageable. will sticking duct/gaffer tape over the split actually work? is this sort of damage repairable?

or is it just better to write them off? in which case, does anyone know where one can send unrepairable wintersports clothing to be recycled?

thanks all

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 1-11-09 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wow - this web site never fails to amaze....
so you know how to use a PC, but not a neddle & thread rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
wow - this web site never fails to amaze....
so you know how to use a PC, but not a neddle & thread rolling eyes

excellent, neddle/needle - worry not, you can reseal the seam. good luck Wink
latest report
 Dave Spart
Dave Spart
sherlock235 wrote:
or is it just better to write them off? in which case, does anyone know where one can send unrepairable wintersports clothing to be recycled?

Yes. Send them to P. J. Proby.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry kittya, will punching holes using a needle not cause more loss of waterproofness? i snowboard so will need something that won't make the problem worse cos i will be spending time sitting in the snow. i guess i could gaffer tape it up after.

i guess haggis_trap's comment is karma's way of paying me back for the smurf Laughing ?

Dave Spart, thanks, i tried searching for the thread that mentioned that repairer, but couldn't find it. but why would i send it to him exactly?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try Lancashire Sports Repairs:

http://www.lsr.gb.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they're cheap it won't make much difference but i guess if you're worried about waterproofness, stitch them tight and seal them with fabric sealant (like the stuff you get for tents) that should help..... that failing duck tape solves all!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlock235, I'm with you, a needle and thread is not the way to solve this problem.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35144

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1868

I can't be bothered to read through all this, but I think there are some better answers.
latest report
 Dave Spart
Dave Spart
sherlock235 wrote:
Dave Spart, thanks, i tried searching for the thread that mentioned that repairer, but couldn't find it. but why would i send it to him exactly?

P. J. Proby was a byword for split trahseez back in the day.

I'm sure salopettes would be very useful if he ever decided to perform in an ice show.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaffa tape fixes ALL!

Though, on pants, it will most likely fall off if it gets wet and will definately fall off if the rip is somewhere likely to move about a lot (I have gaffa taped countless pairs of waterproof workpants) Oh and you'll look like a pikey.

If they are cheap, write them off.

If not, try and get them repaired as altis, suggests.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kittya, altis, dulcamara, buckers, thanks for all the info guys. hopefully i won't have to lose my trousers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlock235, You could stitch them, then go over the repair with "Freesole" (from good outdoor shops). I did this with my plastic slope ones a year ago, and they are still together and waterproof.

Robin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can get gortex patches. Saying that I use the black super duck tape on salopette crampon holes and they have lasted for years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The more duct you have on your sallopettes the cooler you are. This is semi truish with dryslope snowboarders anyway. I do know a couple of people who have mended their salopettes with duct tape on quite big rips but it is not a long term solution
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion, Like this guy in the middle ?? Trousers completely covered in the stuff. Sorry the pic is a little foggy, but due to the huge amounts of snow that was falling Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Tenacious tape is good stuff. I've repaired a few smaller slits on my saloppettes with it. Not sure about a big split but worth considering stitching it then seal it over with tenacious tape
snow conditions
rambotion, Laughing

i'll call lancashire sports repair in the morning and see how much they will charge to repair them. i've had another look at them and i wouldn't be able to just stitch them up and reseal the mend. the rip is too big and awkward, the seal on the seam has been dislodged and the insulation is coming out. all will need redoing. i am loath to lose these trousers as they have incredible tech for the money i paid for them.

ps. i'm glad to see other people think my OP is not such a dumbass q to start with. or do they? wink
latest report
You could staple them together like the instructors at Hemel Hempstead do...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sherlock235 wrote:
ps. i'm glad to see other people think my OP is not such a dumbass q to start with. or do they? wink

No, it's a cold & wet ass question, surely Toofy Grin
TBH, I think it might be time to say goodbye & pay a visit to TK Maxx or similar... sounds a bit worse than the usual little rips & tears.

Dave Spart wrote:
Yes. Send them to P. J. Proby.

Made me laugh, anyway Laughing
ski holidays
get some aquasure or seam seal from a local outdoor/ski shop, put a piece of tape over the outside of the rip neatly holding the edges together...smear a generous helping of the sealer on the inside and leave it until completely dry..remove the tape, the repair will be strong if done properly and almost invisible...ok it will affect the breathbility in the area but that is the compromise, alternatively send them to LSR or to tundra but it will cost a lot more...guess it depends on how expensive they were/old they are
snow report
you've split them once before, what makes you think you wont do it again...?

Buy a bigger pair of pants..Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
sherlock235 wrote:
Embarassed i've managed to split my trousers down the seat and am trying to figure out if they're salvageable. will sticking duct/gaffer tape over the split actually work? is this sort of damage repairable?

thanks all

yes duct tape works a treat and as long as you don't mind the grey and is better sewing it. I find IMO the best solution however is ripstop nylon paprachute or kite repair tape. You can but stripes of the stuff on line for about £4 (approx 35x5cm).

make sure the tape clashes with the original material. Be proud of battle scares Toofy Grin (unless its the crouch thats gone Embarassed ) wink
snow conditions
considering these trousers only cost me £42 i think i can justify spending <£30 on the repair - my other trousers cost me ~£70. if i split them again (not laying off all those lovely pies JT!) i'll recycle them somewhere.

i didn't grow up in the uk, so can someone pls explain the pj proby reference? i tried google/wiki, but you can see my results above. Laughing[/i]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-523368/How-P-J-Probys-life-falling-apart-seams.html

Second paragraph.
latest report
aaaaah! doh! Laughing Laughing Laughing thank you altis!
ski holidays
You can get iron on patches in a dressmaking shop (or whatever those places are called!) which work a treat. Had a nasty fall last year and only when I got my jacket off did I realise that I was trailing white stuff behind me from my backside (makes a change from brown!). Patch went on easily and shows no sign of coming off.
snow report
One of the tent companies - I think its Gelert IIRC does a tent repair kit consisting of decent sized nylon patches with self adhesive backing and the kit comes with an assortment of colours. I've used these for tent repairs and even our patio awning and have been pleased with the result - I think they would make a good job for a repair on ski gear, esp. if rubbed over with some silicone sealant or similar. Some one on here did also point me in the direction of some iron-on seam seal material for the inside of a jacket seam, that might be useful used in conjunction with something like the Gelert kit - I bet a search for iron on seam sealant would find the thread.
latest report
Duct tape does come in many colours and you can get a coloured roll for £3-4 off fleabay.

I have Green, Orange, Black, Grey and White at home. How sad is that? Toofy Grin

Obviously though, grey is the only colour for a non-Gaper, and you have to have some on your boots and your work-gloves if you want any Ski-Cred at all. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had gaffer on my ski trousers for 4 seasons and three washes, and it's not come off. You need PROPER gaffer tape, not the rubbish you can buy in B&Q, fleabay etc. You need the stuff the theatrical suppliers sell at about £9-£10 for a single roll (much cheaper in bulk, of course, which is how I buy it - must order some more actually). You need to make sure it's well stuck down, lots of pressure, esp. at the edges.

http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Matt_Gaffer_Tape_50mm_wide.html
snow conditions
JT, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Try this: http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/Accessories.asp -
snow report
sherlock235, get a roll in your hand and pull the tape (as if you're about to unwind some of it to use it). If it needs less than a proper tug to get it to release, then dont use it as the glue isn't up to the task.

Real black nasty will work on almost anything.

/aside:

One of my mates once used it as part of his fancy dress outfit; he went as a 'tart' but was too cheap to source some thigh-high boots. Instead he pulled some black knee length socks up to their max, then decorated his legs from the knee upwards with a heavy wind of black nasty tape - the real stuff. Needless to say he was drunk when he did it, and sincerely wished he was drunk when he tried to get it off the next morning with a hang-over...

(I can still picture it, I was crying because I was laughing so much!) Laughing
latest report
duct tape can repair anything

If duct tape does not work apply WD-40
latest report
altis wrote:
You could try Lancashire Sports Repairs:

http://www.lsr.gb.com/

You've just made my day - I have one soft-shell needing a new zip, on animal jacket likewise, one nike jacket ripped and a ripped pair of boarding pants..

Nice little order for LSR I think..
snow report
I kept an old pair of ski gloves going for years with duct tape.

The only problem is that when you end up with too much duct tape around the fingers, they are not much good for wiping your nose.
ski holidays
fr0sty, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

thanks again for all your suggestions snowHead . i've sent the trousers off to lsr yesterday. it should take two weeks and will cost just under £30. if it tears again, i'll recycle them somewhere.
snow report
Glad folks likes LSR. I've used them several times before - under different guises - and have always been happy with their service. They've done a fantastic huge patch over the back bottom of my warm but old quilt-lined Goretex one-piece. They also wash Goretex clothing if you fancy having it done properly.
snow conditions
just had my trousers returned from lsr. they've done an amazing job, putting in a complimentary gortex patch over the whole seat area, sealing the seam and sewing it all up making it look good again. i haven't tested them out on the slope yet, but from the jumping around in my impact shorts under the trousers, they feel good.

cost-wise, it was £35 instead of £20 (plus courier return cost of ~£7), so the trousers are now what i would consider to be "pricey" but as i do like all the features on them, it's still worth it.

so, thank you lsr, great job!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy