Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe sold & to open for 2010 Season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
scottishskier wrote:
If glencoe is open the flypaper is generally skiable. There are other options off the back and front of glencoe but are snow/wind direction dependent. If you really want some crazy lines hike round the back to Criese and a dozen or so steep gullies await.

Woa, slow down there, I've been to Glencoe about 6 times in March/April and the flypaper has only been open once, normally closed due to avalanche risk. Someone last season skied it when it was shut and they got themselves buried (but survived), there are some pretty scary pics over here of said avalanche. http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,60934
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
scottishskier wrote:
If glencoe is open the flypaper is generally skiable. There are other options off the back and front of glencoe but are snow/wind direction dependent. If you really want some crazy lines hike round the back to Criese and a dozen or so steep gullies await.

Woa, slow down there, I've been to Glencoe about 6 times in March/April and the flypaper has only been open once, normally closed due to avalanche risk. Someone last season skied it when it was shut and they got themselves buried (but survived), there are some pretty scary pics over here of said avalanche. http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,60934

I was talking about snow cover as opposed to the run being officially open. The run is often closed due to rocks, avalanche risk or a thin traverse out. I am comparing it to nevis where you may only have the goose and summit runs open and no hope of traversing out from coire dubh. The flypaper will generally have skiable snowcover in times like these.

I am not condoning skiing closed runs especially in avalanche conditions but it is often closed to keep inexperienced skiers away as a fall can be serious on such terrain especially if there are rocks protruding. I have skied the flypaper numerous times when it is officially closed and the closure has had nothing to do with avalanche risk. Good judgement is necessary as ever.

The incident you were referring to occurred two seasons ago. I know the people involved well. I believe there was another slide last year too. It is prime shape and angle to slide so its no surprise when it goes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've also skied it when shut. Not due to avalanche risk but lack of traverse out. Aways worth doing the Springy & East Ridge & thoroughly assessing the face before attempting the FP & Bailie's. I've met 'Avy Ally' & the guy who survived a slide on Carn Aosda (Glenshee) in ?2008 - both much more careful since their experiences. Especially Ally who has since # his ankle at the Haggis Trap. Poor guy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There have been several fairly 'big' avalanche's on the flypaper over the years. Though usually its closed because of the jaggy rocks that, almost always, stick out the fall line half way down. It right conditions it can be an easy ski - but its certainly not a part of the hill to be under-estimated! I actually think its at its most dangerous when icy, as a fall will result in a long slide at best...

Anyway - enough blethering. 'Haggistrap V2' is now live.
Nearly identical content, but tidied up the HTML as the old site was looking a bit 'tired'.

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/index.shtml
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, I know what you mean but I don't know if it's wise to suggest that the Fly can be an easy ski and maybe best to qualify that with a 'relative' to when it's difficult.

What I mean by that is making turns on 40+ degree slopes is beyond the capability of a lot of people who might normally think of themselves as reasonable skiers in Euro megaresort terms (i.e they can make their way down Euro black pistes etc). On a couple of occasions I've picked up scattered skis and poles on my own way down to give back to people that have tumbled from top to bottom who were also quick to admit that they were right out of their depth. The Fly is not a typical Euro black piste and by the time they've rolled over the concave entrance, seen the gully, rocks and windblown, they've got no way back, they're unnerved and a long fall is often the result. Because of this, I also always make sure that there is nobody right behind me when I drop in so that I minimise my own risk of being damaged by a falling body, board or skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, What a great web site....

I've also skied the Fly many times and can testify "challenging" best describes it when it's somewhat icy! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap, Good to see some pics of Crevacol. I never caught it on a powder day but it's great little place.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely great news - bit of a drive to the alp in our camper - Scotland works MUCH better for a mad dash on a friday Smile And lets face it its many of our spiritual homes - met my fella on a wee boarding trip up there!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jennx, Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Help! I'm having trouble working out how to navigate the site........ can't even work out how to get hold of the administrator! Want to know when Snowheads meet at SnowCentre in Hemel.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cipria, PM sent.
Welcome to snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well done Andy Meldrum, let's hope for a good cold, snowy winter, more people on the mountain, more cash through the ticket office, and hopefully moving on to improving the ski station. When the money's there, improving the speed and reliability of the uplift would be welcome, but you know, for those of us that are an hour away, can start work early, bunk off at lunchtime and be on the slopes by 1pm, we salute you!
Roll on the first falls.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy