Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to Skiing and not sure where to start!!

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I am sure that you are all decent skiiers

I wouldn't bank on it. Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are my dear friend very, very welcome.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NEW TO THIS THREAD AND NOT SURE WHERE TO START !! Laughing

gravystuffing, the direct to parallel method of teaching skiing isnt all the new and has a few very vocal proponents...have a look at http://www.harbskisystems.com/lessonindex.htm and http://www.aspenmethod.com/ for further information... like all methods it has its pros and cons.... some absolutely swear by it...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So Lets go round again!!!!! Hi to everyone, hope someone can help.

To keep it short, I have only just started to ski ( Im 49 going on 25) taking ski lessons at Castleford and ready and yearning to get onto a mountain to show off my new skills Other members talk about 1,2, and 3 weeks experience on the slopes, I have a good 6 hours on the xscape slope!!!! ( Im sure that must confirm my Snowhead status.!)

I have checked out this site and pistepals, in the hope of joining a group to go skiing with on the 26th/27th December 09, for a week, and again at the end of February 2010. (Europe only)

I dont know the ins and outs of red, blue and black runs, ( or any other colour if there are any?) and really need either a single skiier or a group of veterans to show me the ropes of what a ski holiday is all about. I am open to suggestions as to starting out on the pistes and would like to book for just after xmas first and see how I go before the February booking.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger wrote:
TROY wrote:
Hi to everyone, hope someone can help.

To keep it short, I have only just started to ski ( Im 49 going on 25) taking ski lessons at Castleford and ready and yearning to get onto a mountain to show off my new skills Very Happy Other members talk about 1,2, and 3 weeks experience on the slopes, I have a good 6 hours on the xscape slope!!!! ( Im sure that must confirm my Snowhead status.!) snowHead

I have checked out this site and pistepals, in the hope of joining a group to go skiing with on the 26th/27th December 09, for a week, and again at the end of February 2010. (Europe only)

I dont know the ins and outs of red, blue and black runs, ( or any other colour if there are any?) and really need either a single skiier or a group of veterans to show me the ropes of what a ski holiday is all about. I am open to suggestions as to starting out on the pistes and would like to book for just after xmas first and see how I go before the February booking.

Have a look at this group

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54987

should be perfect if you can make the dates
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
test_freak wrote:

Now a member of SnowHeads and the Snow Centre at Hemel where most Sundays i take advantage of the 2 hours of free coaching (also saved a fortune on membership thanks to snowheads Cool ). Penny there is doing an excellent job with me so far.

Free coaching?

I just had a look on their website but couldn't seem to find anything about that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elmer, not sure if test_freak is referring to Sat am 0800-1000 or Thu and Sun evening 2000-2200 performance sessions? There's also a Wed pm 1330-1530 session which I think is similar. You have to book the session, which is very reasonably priced, and coaching is included.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elmer wrote:
test_freak wrote:

Now a member of SnowHeads and the Snow Centre at Hemel where most Sundays i take advantage of the 2 hours of free coaching (also saved a fortune on membership thanks to snowheads Cool ). Penny there is doing an excellent job with me so far.

Free coaching?

I just had a look on their website but couldn't seem to find anything about that.

That would be because it's a snowhead thing rather than a Hemel thing - Hemel would obviously prefer you to pay for their coaching, but do have an agreement with snowheadsw thanks to the hard work of rob@rar and others

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53025
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NBT - The rob@rar thing is not free Sad however I am seriously considering getting a couple of Mondays off before Christmas if I can to go to 1 or 2 of these as they look excellent value - even before my snowhead discount.

Elmer The Sunday Performance Session is now between 6 and 8pm and indeed just costs for the 2 hours session once a member (which my snow heads membership saved me a fortune on and Hemel have finally got their act together on the SnowHeads discount to membership fees)- for the last couple of months there have been upto 6 members there taking advantage of it. Some weeks it has just been myself and Just_Jill there so we have had 2 hours coaching solid. Twisted Evil
We got video'ed 2 weeks ago to help with the instruction - I have improved visably since i started (though still mostly Sh*te and a bit lardy from the video evidence Embarassed )

If they get more members coming they will put on more instructors - though it would help if they advertised it a bit better and updated the website rolling eyes

Silkedges - why did you have to post that: I had not spotted the other sessions on the website and think I can see this hemel practicing habit becoming really expensive Mad Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
test_freak, whoops my bad sorry!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
test_freak, sorry, should also have mentioned that MK run similar Mon eve, Wed am, Sat am Twisted Evil wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nooooooooo! - I live about half hour from both!

(near luton - the only advantage i can think of being near Luton is 30 minutes to 2 fridges...) Puzzled

Though at MK prices Shocked if I did all the suggested sessions it would be cheaper to relocate to Whistler! NehNeh

Must resist or ask the bank manager for a loan Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
test_freak, actually prices are very comparable... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
the direct to parallel method of teaching skiing isnt all that new...

or for the really ambitious how about "direct to carve"? Very Happy
http://masia.org/antonglider/background.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
85% of new skiers don't try it again? Really? ANyone know where they get these stats from, and do they include people having lessons?

Of most of the beginners I've met and taught, you very rarely meet someone who doesn't want to come back for more. Maybe the people I mix with are just too brave and like the cold!

Martin Bell, that thing looks terrifying! Have you ever seen anyone use it?
snow report
I think the suggestion that newcomers to skiing would be fine if only skis behaved like ice skates is completely daft - and stated here just to support their marketing focus. Has the author ever watched beginners on an ice rink? I have skated a few times only (after a horrendous fall one day when the snow in Chamonix was cr*p I have now given it up) but I remember very strongly clinging to the barrier and having to pluck up the courage to hobble across the gaps, on my first attempt. But on my first attempt at skis I felt much happier, and safer, and more in control. And skates go sideways too, don't they - "hockey stops" were invented by ice skaters?

The implication that beginners on ice skates feel "in control" is laughable.

Like beanie1 I find the 85% completely unconvincing too. It's a tiny, anecdotal, sample but in all the years I've been skiing with friends and family I only know one person who gave it up after a couple of days. Most, even the least gifted, have loved it and been happy to potter around getting nowhere fast.

As for the suggestion that the problem for beginners is "skidding sideways" - that's unconvincing too. Many ski teachers start by teaching straight running on a very gentle slope - because it's the feeling of "sliding" which people find scary. I remember being strapped to a snowboard at MK and told to straight run down the beginner slope. Absolutely petrifying as I knew I couldn't stop. Posters in SHs who lack confidence often speak of their fear of picking up speed and habit of scrubbing off speed too much. We've all done it.
snow conditions
pam w, I agree with everything you say here. Initially I didn't think anybody has made the suggestion you are refuting there, but then realised it was from the link given by Martin Bell.

I wonder if that page was created as a 2006 April Fool that has been extended? I have found a few Youtube videos, but almost all of them only show static shots of the skis, I have only found one with them in use, which supposedly shows Wayne Wong skiing on them. There are no demo videos of learners using them.

Incidentally, the first time I went skiing, the main thing that made me nervous before I started was the thought that it might be as hard to pick up as ice skating. Fortunately, it wasn't.
latest report
How did I miss this thread up to now, it's priceless Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, you're welcome Toofy Grin
snow conditions
From the article gravystuffing linked us to:

Quote:
Once you start to really ski the theory of the snow plough quickly falls down. With the plough you lean right to turn left and lean left to turn right, it seems totally unnatural, when you look at an expert skier they seem to lean left when they turn left,a bit like a motorbike going round a corner, or stay central, not moving much at all. So why the difference.

Interesting thread starter, don't you think? Smile
ski holidays
Spyderman,
Quote:

How did I miss this thread up to now, it's priceless

Ditto, has someone been hiding it?

test_freak,
Quote:

(near luton - the only advantage i can think of being near Luton is 30 minutes to 2 fridges...)

I sometimes wonder why I was here before the fridges!
snow report
I know most posters in this thread think I'm bonkers but my view is straight to parallel is the way to go...straight to carving? Even I'm against that rolling eyes
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

How did I miss this thread up to now, it's priceless

Ditto, has someone been hiding it?

test_freak,
Quote:

(near luton - the only advantage i can think of being near Luton is 30 minutes to 2 fridges...)

I sometimes wonder why I was here before the fridges!

the airport for cheap flights to ski resorts before the budget airlines gott funny about additional charges for everything and were really budget, perhaps? Puzzled

for me it was the degree at hatfield poly (that i failed)and then getting a local job to pay the rent when my grant run out - 20 years later I can now afford to ski but not move to the posh parts of hertfordshire as I have developed a ski habit! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy